• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Darn, this Dratini just refuses to level up...

Years
  • Here we go with another 'creative thread title'. Basically, what I'm asking, is if you've ever ditched a Pokemon that you'd intended to take with you, all the way to the Pokemon League. There are a myriad of reasons as to why we've done this, if the Pokemon constantly faints, is hard to level, or has little potential. I've ditched a Spinarak for the latter of these reasons, and a Geodude, when I learned that it couldn't evolve if I lacked two Gameboys and a link cable.

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2015
    Yes, and am about to now. This used to happen a lot when I first started playing the game, not so much anymore. But I've recently started Pearl for the first time, and I caught an Onix, thinking "Hey, it looks cool, and I've never used one before." All it really has going for it is the ability to wall Normal-types. I don't even know if there's a normal gym in Pearl (answerz?), but I think it's laggy levelling is gonna make it get the boot sometime soon.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • Nope, normally once I start levelling up a Pokemon, I keep it in my main team. It seems pointless to start training, lets say a Sentret to level 30 (for example), if you're just gonna ditch it for another Pokemon later. So, if I want a Pokemon that I am going to use, but I am unable to get it until later on in the game, I just train my starter or (if I have any) the other Pokemon in my team that I know I am going to keep and use.

I have restarted my Pokemon black and soft-reseted fr a good nature for Tepig, only because it kept fainting.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I was planning to use Vaporeon in the Pokemon League in my first playthrough in FR/LG, but since I already had a Water Pokemon in Blastoise, I ditched it.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • the most common pokemon i ditched were machoke and kadabra, they were really useful in most of the early games until you got to the 6th gym leader unless you could trade and evolve them. which i never did. so i always just ditched for something else

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • the last pokemon i ditched was a petilil just because i didnt need to grass types on my team i waited till i found out which of them i liked better and it lost. plus it kept fainting on me and was a slow leveler

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I never really ditched Pokemon until Pokemon Black.

Starved for choice, I caught a Purrloin in the first route and I didn't like it because everyone you came across had one, so I ditched it for a Munna.

Then I ditched my Munna later on in favour of a Gothita because Munna is quite honestly the most ridiculous looking thing I have ever seen in my life, and Musharna didn't look much better.

Last edited:

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I don't really ditch any Pokemon. I just hate it when they are under-leveled and I try to use them in battle. Actually a great example of this is when I use a Dratini in R/B that I get from the Game Corner. It faints easily and I have to make constant stops to the Pokemon Centre. But I would never ditch it. (Especially after that many coins.)

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I ditched Unfezant in favor of Rufflet, who is now Braviary. Only reason is because Rufflet didn't appear until Route 10 the Route right before the Elite 4. I just used Unfezant as my basic Flying type and transporter for the time it was on my team.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I was gonna make my grass type in HGSS a Hoppip until I realized I'd be grinding in the beginning for 10+ levels before it learnt anything worthwhile so... I traded in a Cherubi and didn't regret it one bit, haha.

Otherwise, I ditched my starter in White (Tepig; I already had a Litwick), my Purrloin in Black (hoped it would be better than it was), and I'm really tempted to drop my Swanna in White as well, except I've already beaten the league so I'm not sure it counts.

I usually research my Pokémon or roughly decide on my team before I play a game. Usually if I replace one of the members, it ends up being because I found something I liked better before I even got to catch said ditched member.

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
  • I replaced my Quilava in SoulSilver in placed of a Growlithe.......Buuut then I realized that you can't catch Growlithe in SS.:'( So I added a Flareon to my team.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • In this most recent series of games, I ditched a whole host of Pokemon so far:

• Zebstrika --> Garvantula
    • Woobat --> Sigilyph
    • Sawk --> Scrafty
    I have no shame and will continue to abuse them for my own gains!

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • I ditched a fair amount of Pokemon in my day. Mostly they just couldn't take hits. I can deal with a Pokemon that kinda takes a long time to level up (to a point) but if thye can't take hits or deal damage worth a crap, they usually get the boot. Purrloin is a good example of this. I caught two of 'em, trying to train them, but... I failed. :D

Mr. L

Tea.
    Years
  • I rarely drop Pokemon as I always decide which ones I'll be taking with me before I start the game, however when I played through Heart Gold I wish I took Pidgeot instead of Noctowl, its moveset is currently Fly, Roost, Hypnosis and Dream Eater, I just couldn't decide what I wanted to do with it...

Yes, and am about to now. This used to happen a lot when I first started playing the game, not so much anymore. But I've recently started Pearl for the first time, and I caught an Onix, thinking "Hey, it looks cool, and I've never used one before." All it really has going for it is the ability to wall Normal-types. I don't even know if there's a normal gym in Pearl (answerz?), but I think it's laggy levelling is gonna make it get the boot sometime soon.

There aren't any normal gyms in Pearl and later on in the game you'll be able to catch Steelix in the wild, so I'd drop Onix if I were you.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • There aren't any normal gyms in Pearl and later on in the game you'll be able to catch Steelix in the wild, so I'd drop Onix if I were you.

Steelix's are way more powerful, it's totally worth enduring the Onix to get a Steelix. Having said that, I wouldn't catch one in the wild, as the wild ones tend to be weaker, particularly since they're already at a higher level.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I usually find it very hard to box something after having trained it. I'm soppy sentimental like that.

However in Black I was forced to substitute a few:

Blitzle - Reason: Fast but lacked strength, defence and health.
    Serperior - Reason: Just wasn't learning any good moves and started to lag behind in power. I was really disappointed by this one.
    Bisharp -Reason: Was just nowhere near as powerful as it appeared. Especially annoying since I subbed her in for Serperior.

Years
  • I usually find it very hard to box something after having trained it. I'm soppy sentimental like that.

However in Black I was forced to substitute a few:

Blitzle - Reason: Fast but lacked strength, defence and health.

Feel the same like you, when i use time to train it, i dont feel like putting it into a box and leave it there.

But for the same reason as you i had to put Blitzle away. Also i put Pansear away too when i got a Tepig through the GTS, since it seemed better later on, and a lot stronger than Pansear too.

Back