• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dating

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
    Some people have posted that 10-16, 11-14,. or something around these age ranges, constitutes a relationship that is not "real". I would have to say that most relationships in the 17s, 18's, 19's, 20's, and for some up into the late 20's are superficial relationships that are not lasting. However, I think that dating is an unnatural human activity, as are most of our activities; it takes practice! Therefore, I would let my kids date, around 10 if they were interested. It takes baby steps; at that age they might learn some responsibilities of companionship like remembering to call, doing something special, and solving disputes with the person they are romantically involved with. I first dated when I was...11. All we did was hold hands, go to the movies, and I pecked her on the cheek a couple times. It's harmless! Parents should get involved though to ensure that the relationship does not overstep maturity boundaries though. If all goes well, the children might go through heart break, sadness, boredom, stress, and other emotions that might arise from a relationship; this is essential for children/teen/young adults to learn before they enter the "real" dating world!!!

So, that 6th grade, two-week relationship came and went. I didn't date again until I was 18 in my second year of college. I got into a horrible relationship even though I was very "mature" for my age. I just didn't have experience with dating, so I wish I would have tried and failed my first real relationship at a lower stakes setting, like high school. But, through the adversity I faced, I think I am able to grasp the concept of what it means to be in a relationship with someone better. I haven't dated in 7 months, which kinda aggravates me, but I have to be selective with who I date. It's the only way I can have a real shot at a life-long companionship. Wow, I clearly have nothing better to o than right an essay on the PokeCom!

Maka Chop

【・ヘ・?】
    Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2013
    IMO, 14-15 is when you can start dating, and casually at that. I've seen relationships involving 10-13-year-olds where the people involved acted as if they were already engaged or something. It never turned out well.

Alec Empire

Are you ready to testify?
    Years
    It varies upon whether or not both partners know what they're feeling, and if they really know what it means to love someone. I think that proper dating could start at 15.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2012
    I'd call myself a hypocrite becuase I started dating in middle school. 13-14. But, nothing romantic/intimate, happened. I'd say once high school starts is fine enough for relationships.

riksworld

Banned
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2013
    Anyone around 10-14 shouldn't be dating. People at that age don't really know what they're doing or actually know what they're really feeling. They usually just go what their gut and never think it over. Plus that time is when people are starting to find themselves so they don't really know who they are. I'm 19, and I still don't know who exactly I am and what I'm gonna be doing. I have yet to have a girlfriend and go on a date.

I agree with this.Anyone around 10-14 shouldn't be dating.......

Years
    A lot of early relationships are tests, from what I've seen with younger kids. Pre-teens and early teenage relationships are more like a practice run where you get your feet wet. Once you've done it awhile, then it gets a little more serious.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2012
    My Mother and I had this conversation two days ago, because I was visiting her on my little sister's 8th birthday. I got myself into little bit of trouble after I asked her when she would allow my sister to have a boyfriend, because right after I asked the question she responded with "when I allowed YOU to have a boyfriend". She didn't know that I was having boyfriends since kindergarten.XD;
    Buuuuut I explained to her that just because a little kid is saying they're in a relationship doesn't mean they are actually in one. I didn't have a REAL boyfriend until I was like 15. All those other guys were practice up until that point. I've only been in three serious relationships in my entire life.
    I don't think people get into serious relationships until they're mature enough to handle them.
    Basically what I'm trying to say is I don't think there is an age requirement for relationships, I think the serious ones just come up when you've reached a certain level of maturity. For most people I think it's during highschool.

lol Plus my sister is almost exactly like how I was, she's more concerned about sports, music, school, and fashion rather than focusing only boys.XD;

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Age is just a number. It's really meaningless except in counting the number of years one has been alive since birth.

When it comes to relationships, I believe the only criteria to use to judge whether someone should "date" is whether they are mature enough. There is no single age that determines an individual's level of maturity. And we really shouldn't restrict a person's choices based on an number. Only where there is the potential for harm to be done should a relationship be disallowed.

HoodieDoodie

The Electric Soldier
    Years
    Its more of a question of maturity, rather than age. Being at the age where everyone seems to have a partner and everything seems to be falling to pieces, its easy to see what has worked out and what hasn't. Some people can keep relationships and enjoy them, other people can't seem to stop craving the attention and hop around from boy to boy (this is mostly girls) and earn themselves a 'label', such as 'slag', or '****'. Yet none of them can yet be one of these lawfully, cause they are all 12/13. People who use the word slag don't even know what it means, and I highly doubt a 13 year old sleeping with everyone.

Sometimes, people need to pull their boots up and come into the real world. Theres not always a partner for you. The time will come when it comes - the problem is when people force it to come, then it never works out. I've seen junior school relationships last longer/be more serious than the ones I witness at high school. But I guess it depends on the person/people involved aswell. Many think its 'cool' to have a partner, but I haven't got one and I'm not a sad loser like others would believe themselves to be if single.

Huggie

Mewtwo lover :3
    Years
    Age is just a number. It's really meaningless except in counting the number of years one has been alive since birth.

When it comes to relationships, I believe the only criteria to use to judge whether someone should "date" is whether they are mature enough. There is no single age that determines an individual's level of maturity. And we really shouldn't restrict a person's choices based on an number. Only where there is the potential for harm to be done should a relationship be disallowed.

I agree with that. Also it depends on the person! You cannot call a date between two 10year old kids a relationship !They are just discovering themselves. I've seen many 16 year old act more mature in a relationship than some 20 year old friends of mine. 14-16 is the age when somebody discovers his feelings or his wants and begins to experiment. But that also depends on the personality. I, for once, never needed to experiment nor wanted to. I knew what I wanted, I new what I needed from a relationship and I just waited until I found it. We are together 3 years now ( we got together when we were 15) and that's pretty much it. No complaints, no jealouses, no anger or fights, perfectly matched like the key into the lock.

In those so called "relationships" kids, adults and teens can learn something about themselves , feel sth new, experience situations that couldn't otherwise. Why prohibit something like that if it doesn't harm anybody? Besides if a parent diasllows his child to have a relationship I 'm pretty sure that th kid will find the way. :P

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    You cannot call a relationship between two 10year old kids a date!tHey are just discovering themselves. I've seen many 16 year old act more mature in a relationship than some 20 year old friends of mine. 14-16 is the age when somebody discovers his feelings or his wants and begins to experiment.

This is a commonly held misconception, and it's understandable why you'd believe this. But as with mental maturity, physical maturity is reached by individuals at vastly different rates. It is not uncommon to see a female enter into puberty as young as 7. Some even start puberty earlier. There have been cases where females have gotten pregnant when they were 5 years of age.

Females also invariably mature sooner than males. Which would often explain why on the playgrounds at school, I often witnessed females chasing after guys, and giggling about them and talking about them with their friends. Whereas most of the guys wanted nothing to do with them. But on occasion, you do see a young male of the same age equally enamoured with a female. And yes, this does happen at the age of 10, and sometimes younger.

I started to enter puberty when I was around 10 or 12. And it was around that time that I started developing feelings for people. Feelings that I hadn't felt before, but that I liked. By your assertion, I'm very odd indeed.

It is because I am aware of how people mature at vastly different rates that I don't make any claims as to what is normal when it comes to people reaching puberty. It would be like me trying to guess where a paper airplane would land each time it's thrown. Even twins can reach maturity at different times, even though they're both born at virtually the same time.

But that also depends on the personality. I, for once, never needed to experiment nor wanted to. I knew what I wanted, I new what I needed from a relationship and I just waited until I found it. We are together 3 years now ( we got together when we were 15) and that's pretty much it. No complaints, no jealouses, no anger or fights, perfectly matched like the key into the lock.

Congratulations on your relationship then. I wish the both of you all the best, and hopefully many years of happiness together.

Huggie

Years
    This is a commonly held misconception, and it's understandable why you'd believe this. But as with mental maturity, physical maturity is reached by individuals at vastly different rates. It is not uncommon to see a female enter into puberty as young as 7. Some even start puberty earlier. There have been cases where females have gotten pregnant when they were 5 years of age.

Females also invariably mature sooner than males. Which would often explain why on the playgrounds at school, I often witnessed females chasing after guys, and giggling about them and talking about them with their friends. Whereas most of the guys wanted nothing to do with them. But on occasion, you do see a young male of the same age equally enamoured with a female. And yes, this does happen at the age of 10, and sometimes younger.

I started to enter puberty when I was around 10 or 12. And it was around that time that I started developing feelings for people. Feelings that I hadn't felt before, but that I liked. By your assertion, I'm very odd indeed.

It is because I am aware of how people mature at vastly different rates that I don't make any claims as to what is normal when it comes to people reaching puberty. It would be like me trying to guess where a paper airplane would land each time it's thrown. Even twins can reach maturity at different times, even though they're both born at virtually the same time.

Congratulations on your relationship then. I wish the both of you all the best, and hopefully many years of happiness together.

14-16 is just a general borderline where you can finally see that both sexes are quite matured, that doesn't mean it is the normal and all the other cases are odd or wrong.
    A relationship between two people is a relationship if BOTH know what they feel and what they are doing. ASt least that's what I think. Perhaps I didn't express my self clearly ( english is not my native language) but what I meant was i don't consider it a relationship when one of its parts is still "incomplete" physically or mentally either the boy or the girl ( although girls as you said reach maturity earlier than boys) I am not against any relationship between 10 year old whatsoever as I believe that every person has its own rhythm of development, unless they are doing harm to themselves. It's just that from personal experience I see that in those relationships usually one of them doesn't even know what he's doing (or she's).

However as physical maturity is often reached earlier than the mental one I find it only natural for children-teens to explore and discover their bodies or their sudden feelings., that may not fully understand but feel them nonetheless, but that alone doesn't make their realationship a date. Why should there even exist an age line to such things?. Still I am kinda against the " I want to be like my mum/dad" relationships where a 12 year old kid acts as if it were 30.

Also thank you really for your wishes. I wish you all the best to your life too!:D Sorry if I didn't make myself clear in my previous post :P

Renyui!

ascender
    Years
    I agree with that. Also it depends on the person! You cannot call a relationship between two 10year old kids a date!
    Wait, what? Aren't you contradicting yourself?

It just depends how mature the person is, as Jay said. BUT, another important factor, and I know this sounds pretty dumb, is the experiences that one has had in relationships. I know my friend only got a girlfriend when he was 17, but it didn't last long, because it was his first relationship, and his personality has proved that he is a bit more of a 'Girl's best friend' (for lack of a better word) kinda guy. He can have pretty super conversations with women, but when it comes to intimacy, he kinda lacks. Great guy, though.

And then there's the physical maturity/puberty factor, but I wont even go into that. We all know about that, right?

Huggie

Years
    Wait, what? Aren't you contradicting yourself?

you're right Bad english I'm sorry. I'll edit it.What I meant was "You cannot call a date between two 10 year old a relationship"

A relationship is ,in my mind, something more than a date, something more um serious. Anyway that may be a mistake coz in Greek there are some differences in the meaning.

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2023
    It takes maturity, not age. But I'm sure most kids pre-puberty are not going to understand the point of a relationship in any meaningful way. It's a gradual process.

Back