• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Debate: Post Counts

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 13, 2006
    blue said:
    I wonder if anyone got my ironic joke :P

Joke? Of course I got it.
    *points at blue and starts chanting*
    Spammer...spammer..spammer....:P

Can anyone comment on my idea about
    switching post counts to "active counts"?
    I want to know if it's good. :)

Dizzy

My Father is a Baron!
    Years
    Kairi said:
    That?s not the idea?you are free to post as much as you want here, excluding double posting and the lot. You shouldn?t let post count, high or low, affect how much you post. This means in your case, a high post count should not hinder you from posting.

For those with a lower post count, it should not make you most more than you really want to. It?s good you quit trivia since you were uniteresed in the actual game, that?s a good example. Like I said, post count and raising it can help with friendships! And that is good.

Maybe. Maybe not. I could brag about a lot of other things, for instance. My MotM votes, my rank, my join date. Now we aren?t removing those things, for thye are not the same as post count. It?s a very influential thing on all of us.

There still *is* a way to see the top twenty or any number you want, by sorting the member list. However, it isn?t the same. Why? Post count can be an official placebo for any number of things ailing a person, such as a feeling of inadequacy, of being left out, of being small. Like you said, it is a number. In reality nothing more. However that number effects how frequently and what we post, in short how we interact with everyone.

That should never be the point of the forum in the first place, IMO. Granted, any way we can have fun is a good thing, but it?s not always fun. It becomes a serious problem if people get so caught up in the ?game? they post spam, or exclude everyone from conversations.

Yeah, this does prove postcounts are a motivating reason why people play games. And maybe that wasn?t so bad. Still, we also need some good conversations, those too were a big part of old PC. Then again, removing it from the postbit might kill those off too. This is a very influential topic, for sure.

It shows how much you are on PC to?other people? To you? The affection and respect you have would cover that, I think. Y?know, until someone mentioned DT had hit #1 there was a time I was totally oblvious to post count. I honestly didn?t realize he was up there so far. Then for a while I kinda raced with him, then let it go. I enjoy the good conversations with people?but those may not happen if post count is removed and no one comes to chat.

While it is bad they are prejudiced against you for it, you must consider what removing it would do. It could make a lot of people?some even your friends, very upset. You don?t want that do you? Not to say I want it gone or I want it to stay, I am saying it is a matter that requires a substantial amount of thinking for both sides.

We couldnt get you to brag if we payed you Kairi, you know that XD. Even so, Post Count is Good for as Many Reasons as it's bad, im a little for for it then against it, but the only reason it should go is because people do stupid things, and being jealous against posts is stupid, upon jealousy comes the need to post, and Speedposting if you will turns into Spam. You know what I'm saying?

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    Although my opinion is pretty much meaningless, here's what I think:

Post counts mean nothing to responsible members...I think we have a good enough system here that if some member becomes openly obsessed with spamming up their post count, we can counteract it quite easily...I'm sure we've had to take that action in the past. For me, the post count is a nice little feature...it's sort of a symbol of my ever-so-slight coming up in the world here...it makes me feel oddly special in a way.

I know I haven't said anything that's new to this topic, but oh well :p

Lucifer.

Custom'D
    Years
    I don't see how it would make a difference. I don't usually find myself eying up people's postcounts anyway. It's what and how they post that really matters. If someone has over 2000 posts, yet the majority of them are just incoherent tripe, then I couldn't give a monkey's whether they're a respected, long-term member of the community or not. I shan't be reading their posts again.

Years
    I do look at others post counts. But I dont see what getting rid of post counts would do. Just because someone has more posts than you, they dont feel inferior. I'm not feeling inferior. I dont care if someone has more posts than me. And I think others should not either. They should worry more about whats going on in the world, not about someone has more posts than them. Do you understand what I'm saying? I'm saying that post counts or no post counts dont matter. It doesnt matter. If you get rid of it, fine, if you dont, fine, but why should someone feel bad just because he has less posts than someone else. It doesnt make sense. Posts counts are not important. The posts are important.

PichuSecretBase

Web Site Critique
    Years
    I think the post count should stay. It gives me a sence or pride that I have actually stayed at the forum and posted ^___^ Also It's fun to see how many I make in a day or whatever.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 13, 2006
    bna_li said:
    Exactly. Something I forgot, it tells us how active we are.

Exactly what I meant.
    Did you like my idea about switching post counts to "active counts" it shows how active we are.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 13, 2006
    Lucifer said:
    Why do people need to know how active others are though? :s

I think someone said this already.
    Well it'll be better because newbies can ask questions to more
    experienced members and a good way to know how much they know
    is how active they're on at PC.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 13, 2006
    Lucifer said:
    Well most people are able to help out, regardless of their post count/join date.

Ahh, yes but I was talking about activeness.
    People who don't go here much doesn't know more
    than people who does go here a big deal of times.

By the way, that's a funny avatar you got there, Lucifer.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    Lucifer said:
    Why do people need to know how active others are though? :s
    Well if some one was going for a Mod spot then we have to know if that member is active around PC before we will mod him/her.
    And yes lets say some one comes around PM once a month. They will not know what things are wrong so that member might have joined a long time ago but don't know if some one asked a question.

Flaming Torchic

HalOWNED!
    Years
    It seems no one bothered to bring this topic up until a certain forum got rid of their post counts...coicedince?

Anyways, I think it should stay. As long as poeple don't SPAM to raise their post count it doesn't really matter. Maybe it does make forum posting fun somewhat, and maybe it doesn't, but all I know is that no matter what you'll still have spammers, post count or no post count.

And besides, I have my suspicions that people only want it gone because a Site purposely got rid of its post count on the forums =P

(Courtesy of Kairi for the idea)

Lucifer.

Custom'D
    Years
    Arcanine said:
    Well if some one was going for a Mod spot then we have to know if that member is active around PC before we will mod him/her.
    And yes lets say some one comes around PM once a month. They will not know what things are wrong so that member might have joined a long time ago but don't know if some one asked a question.

What about those that browse the boards a lot but just don't post?

Pokemaster10000: yeah I am particularly fond of the funny green dinosaur avatar. XD

Flaming Torchic

HalOWNED!
    Years
    Lucifer said:
    What about those that browse the boards a lot but just don't post?

Pokemaster10000: yeah I am particularly fond of the funny green dinosaur avatar. XD
    Yes, but how can you tell if they're online a lot? And besides, if they aren't really active; meaning they don't post often, then they shouldn't really be a moderator. Because you also have to be involved in the forums and share your thoughts also, not just browse.

Lucifer.

Custom'D
    Years
    Moderators take care of the various forums. You don't need to post 150 messages a day to be able to do that, or even be a popular/respected member of the message board.

How did this move on to moderator recruitment anyway. [Doi]

Back