• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Desktops vs. Laptops

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I own two laptops and a desktop (a netbook, a Mac, and a custom built PC), and I'd have to say it depends on what you want to do. Given as the Mac is three years old, it sees a lot of general use (web surfing, music management, a little bit of production, word processing, etc). The desktop is used for more resource-intensive tasks like gaming or complex production, and the netbook is really only for work.

I'd say laptop for general use, PC for everything else.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Laptops are waaaaay better. They're portable, and they're easy to go around with. The smaller the laptop, the more awesome. But the risk of falls runs pretty high for them.

Kroso

Sleeping soundly
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Dec 22, 2016
    Laptop,allright,it's small,picks up a better signal,and best of all it dosen't stay in one single place,:)

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I prefer laptops since I tend to move around a lot and travel.

Years
  • Oh gosh, that's a tough question "/
    Well laptops are great mobility wise, and there a lot smaller and compact so they should use up less energy. Not to mention the fact that they're easily movable so you can move it around to make computing more comfortable.
    But also the main problem i had with laptops is that because everything is so small if theres a problem it'll be harder to find and fix. Also i'm not sure if this is just me having unusually warm thighs but during the summer and i have tons of work to do laptops always seem to over heat "/

As for desktops, they are pretty much always more powerful if you compare two from the same price range. Also they are much more customisable, you can easily go out and buy a new keyboard or a bigger monitor, unless you get one of those all in one PC's which to be honest you might as well have bought a laptop. Also computers can be upgraded by pretty much everyone at home.
    But on a down side they do use up more energy, and (this is probably just me) its too easy to go and spend loads of money on stuff for it xD

But i guess overall i'd side with Desktops :D

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Laptops all the way. I hate being confined to one spot for too long. With my laptop I have the freedom to go wherever I please and still be able to do the things that I need to do. A lot of people would argue that they aren't as powerful as desktops, and while that's true most of the time, I don't really need a really powerful desktop to do the things that I need (or want) to do.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Laptops all the way. I know desktops are more powerful and more bang for the buck, but like Nick said...I don't want to be confined at a desk whenever I'm on the computer. I like being able to take my laptop around the house, lie down on the couch or on my bed, or carry it with me to work. The portability is worth the extra money, and my laptop is still powerful enough to do anything I want (or play anything I want, even though I'm not a big PC gamer).

Years
  • I prefer laptops, because I'm always moving around (I commute to work and uni), and having a computer on hand is very important for me. I've got everything on hand when I need it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2011
    It all depends on what you use it for. If you are running extensive big programs then a desktop works nice.

The mobility of a laptop comes in handy....but when you think about it most of the time your laptop is just sitting on the desk anyway...

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    I like laptops better because you can take them anywhere and they can do most of the same things as desktops. I have this little netbook that weighs like a pound so, I can take it anywhere:)

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
  • I have a laptop and a desktop but I prefer laptops because they're cuter <3 :D Plus you can take them anywhere you want o3o

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG 1000TH POST!!!!! XD

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I own both a desktop and a laptop computer. To me, it all depends on whether you will be going around a lot... I like my desktop simply because of the performance - things are snappy, that's for sure. The laptop is very portable, though, and I always bring it out on long trips to stay connected and do work. You can't go wrong with either. Smart phones are no substitute for a full-fledged laptop.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    I prefer desktops, they cost less and usually lest longer.

And they're a lot more durable.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • I prefer desktops but I like laptops also since they are portable, unlike desktops.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • I have both. I prefer desktops since you can have 2 hard disks in it which makes easier to prevent the data loss if a hard drive dies. Laptops can have only one hard disk so you're screwed if it dies unless you don't have an external hard drive. Laptops has their pros, they're portable so you can easily take it with you.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Laptops are better. They are still powerful enough to play modern games and have the ability to be used without being connected to the mains. Although it looks like Tablets and Phones might replace them.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
  • Anecdotally, I've had six laptop deaths in two years from completely normal levels of use. I hate the idea of giving up portability, but after the warranty expires on my current laptop, I'm probably through with them forever. I've just had too much grief caused by what I presume to be the high heat and bad ventilation, whereas my old desktop PC has been going strong for half a decade. I'll just learn to live with being chained to computing in one spot, I guess.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    I own both but i prefer laptop :) ..... you get bore in the bus, in the mall, lame company??? just switch it on and do your thing ;)

Back