• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Desktops vs. Laptops

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
  • All I've ever used are laptops. I tend to favor their portability and I usually don't run programs that require the added power of a desktop anyway. Though the fact that every model I've owned tends to overheat (that's what killed my last one) makes me want to try a desktop as my primary computer and just use a cheap laptop when I'm on the go.

Years
  • I prefer my desktop but then again I built my desktop myself so that could be a main reason. I love my laptop (an old acer aspire 3680) and carry it around with me whenever I'm going to be away for a long period of time. Though I cheat a little cause so long as I have an internet signal (Wifi or ethernet) I'll just remote access my desktop.

KNC

Sir Demoknight
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    Desktops. Since I work with my PC I need something powerful to work on everything simultanously, trying that on a laptop would be hideous. I'd consider an laptop though when I'd had the money and would be in real need of the mobility.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Mmm... desktop for gaming. The portability of my laptop is nice, though.

I service computers and i prefer the laptop, just because its easier to get into it and find the problem.. not only that, but you can also hook up a desktop moniter to a laptop and use it as a desktop.. depending on your laptop or desktop.. im using a HP pavilion G6 from the G series.. and i honestly love it.

Ofcourse, desktops have advantages, like a larger memory or better graphics, but a laptop has its advantages too, like its portable. Desktops have a better protection against the weather (what i mean is, where its at and if theres alot of dirt and grime around it). Some laptops are customizable, different colors or a LED keyboard(which is what im workin on getting).

Desktops are usually faster than laptops, but they are more liable to get viruses or other things you dont want, now im not saying a laptop isnt just as vulnerable, but like i said:

So i prefer the laptop over the desktop.
    What in the world are you talking about?

1. It's FAR easier to open a desktop and root around. What you said about laptops being easier to get into is just outright wrong.
    2. A laptop can have the same specs as a desktop, again what you said is blatantly wrong.
    3. You can customize a desktop with LEDs or whatever expensive, useless stuff you want, as well.
    4. Ok, now you've gone completely off the deep end. Why in the world would you say desktops are more liable to get viruses? What? That makes no sense whatsoever.

I highly doubt you service computers.

funrush

How's it going?
    Years
  • I'm with desktop. I've been using a desktop all my life and chances are, I probably will be until they are phased out by laptops. I'll probably pick up a laptop soon for situations when I'm on the go though.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    I'm with desktop. I've been using a desktop all my life and chances are, I probably will be until they are phased out by laptops. I'll probably pick up a laptop soon for situations when I'm on the go though.

It is extremely unlikely that the desktop computer will be going anywhere in the foreseeable future.

Mostly because the ubiquitous market for server computers, which drives the production of the chips we also see in desktop computer systems - full size processors, memory and storage components. On the other side of the scale, the PC gaming market does not particularly show signs of trouble, driving the continuous production of desktop graphics hardware.

A laptop isn't a viable solution for the above two roles, and neither is it for people in professions who require systems that can run at the fastest level home computers can offer. It's also harder to steal a desktop computer in a corporate enviroment.

I'd be more concerned about the laptop computer's role in the market in this day and age.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Desktops aren't going to be phased out for the forseeable future.

AIO's might replace desktops for the average user, but even then desktops will still be useful for servers, them 'dedicated' gamers, (You know, the ones that spend a k on the top of the line video card and then do the same a month or so later once a superior card gets released.) and and whole list of other things.

I can see ipads (and their other brand counterparts) replacing netbooks, and cheaper notebooks.

Anyway, am I the only one here who thinks Dracorus is a idiot? I'd love to here you explain why you think its easier to repair a laptop then it is a desktop. As for virii, no. They have the SAME exact risk to get infected with a virus as long as they both have internet, and lack AV software. Dirt and grime are NOT weather... really, when was the last time you heard the weatherman say its raining dirt? As for specs, im guessing you forgot to add that price range part because it IS pretty much impossiable to get a desktop and laptop with the exact same specs with both costing the same, or having a negliable price diffrence (~$50) unless you buy the laptop used/refurbished.

You know what I hate about repairing laptops? Laptops are sometimes buggy as hell. (Read my blog if you want to know what im talking about)

Anyway, laptops vs desktops... Hmm, portability vs reliablity and power... Hmm... Simple choice for me. Desktop. The power part is their due to price diffrences between a desktop and a laptop of almost same specs. (Tricore, 4 gb ram, 1 tb hdd desktop... $600. Tricore, 4 gb ram, 500 gb hd laptop... $850)

funrush

How's it going?
    Years
  • I guess I didn't really phrase that right. By phased out, I meant when less people are using them. This may only go for my experiences, but usually when I enter a store and go to the computer section, the main thing I see are laptops. Usually only 25% of the time, I will come across a desktop.

Avishka

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    I like laptops better because you can take them anywhere and they can do most of the same things as desktops. I hate being confined to one spot for too long.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • I guess I didn't really phrase that right. By phased out, I meant when less people are using them. This may only go for my experiences, but usually when I enter a store and go to the computer section, the main thing I see are laptops. Usually only 25% of the time, I will come across a desktop.

Same here, but then again some companies that produce laptops don't make desktops.

Laptops sell more because they usually don't last as long as desktops. A good desktop will last you 5 years (By this I mean before it dies completely) most laptops i've seen don't make it past 3.

Anyway, another reason why I like desktops is because they are more durable. I dropped a laptop, case and screen cracked. I dropped a desktop I dented the case, cracked the faceplate, and knocked the video card loose.

Looks aside, care to guess which one took less time to fix and was cheaper to fix?

Winneon

[b][color=#fb0120]しょう[/color][color=#fc6d24]が[/col
    Years
  • I totally LOVE laptops! Especially the MacBook Pro!

GlaceonX

-Glomps- Hii everybody
    Years

• because its easier to get into it and find the problem..

Uhhmm. . . Wait, wut? Errm, a laptop is basicly a smaller desktop. . . How can it be easier to get in and find the problem. . . ? If your HDD fried you'd basicly have to destroy your laptop (Figure of speech) and replace it then rebuild it again -.- a desktop, take off the side cover and boom, you got access to everything >>

Anyways. . . Back on topic, I preffer a desktop, it's my main mother ship, it does absolutely everything I want it to like I want it to, and face it a 22" screen, who doesn't like that?

I do own 2 laptops, I absolutely adore them both, I wish they had more power, but then again that's I has my desktop for. Sooo. . . Desktop = Complete and absolute win (I take my desktop everywhere anyways) Laptops = Win. . . Lol

Laptops all the way. I know desktops are more powerful and more bang for the buck, but like Nick said...I don't want to be confined at a desk whenever I'm on the computer. I like being able to take my laptop around the house, lie down on the couch or on my bed, or carry it with me to work. The portability is worth the extra money, and my laptop is still powerful enough to do anything I want (or play anything I want, even though I'm not a big PC gamer).

That's why wireless keyboards and mouses where invented c: I can lay on my bed and type or do anything else. As for around my house? Wouldn't it be dangerous if I where to go and get a glass of orange juice to the kitchen? Where water and many other things could kill it? Think about it lol. . . . I would not like my $700 lappy dying on meh cuz I was stupid enough to take it to the kitchen and drip a cup of orange juice over it. . . Or scratch it. . . Or let ot fall. . . Etc >>

Last edited:

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
    Years
  • Laptop for portability, privacy (I have one of my own and so does my mom, so she doesn't know any of my passwords and can't snoop around to find out what I do), quick access to my programs without relying on the campus' computers (except for printing). Sure, they aren't the best for gaming (I can play anything from NDS, PS1, N64, and older on my Acer 5515. Can't play PS3, etc.), but then again, I don't play games such as the Final Fantasy MMORPGs, CoD, WoW, etc.

Laptops sell more because they usually don't last as long as desktops. A good desktop will last you 5 years (By this I mean before it dies completely) most laptops i've seen don't make it past 3.

I've had my laptop for nearly 4 years, switched from Vista to 7 and it still runs fine -if not better. A computer is only as smart as its owner. Even if it's not meant to last a decade, the user should still do the necessary maintenance: Clean your registry, delete temporary files, broken shortcuts, etc. Have antivirus and spyware/maleware protection, clean the heatsink/fan, and dust it out so that it lasts for as long as it can until you just can't update things on it anymore. The day you can't upgrade to the latest OS of your choice and the latest versions of your programs is the day you can dump a laptop. Other things to keep a laptop running is just common sense: Don't have liquid around it. Keep it in a case for travel. Don't leave it on fabric like your bed, couch, etc. unless you have a (preferably) hardback book under it or a cooling mat. Replace faulty hardware. Don't drop it on the floor or concrete.

FalconsDrummer

Why yes, I have an Octillery.
    Years
  • I prefer my laptop, for the simple reason that I don't have anywhere to keep a desktop at this point in my life. I'm on the go all the time, and I usually need to bring my own computer. However, when I finally can, I plan on having both. Probably a desktop PC and a Macbook laptop.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Which do you prefer?
    I like desktops because I like CRT monitors; beyond that it is more powerful, maintainable and so on. Really everything about a desktop is better except mobility, and I don't need a portable computer.

Do you own both or only one?
    Both.

Do you run a certain OS on laptops while you run different ones of desktops?
    Actually I run a certain OS on the desktop while various on laptops. Given their age differences, and that the desktop is the only system I assemble personally, it's only natural.

My main laptop is about fifteen years old.
    I'm not trying to make a point, I just find it funny how weakly they make them now; they're all so flat...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Laptops are more useful for every day usage but seem to be a lot slower and don't run as well. Plus track pads can be a nuisance. I use both a desktop (Vista) and laptop (XP) and prefer using the laptop, despite the desktop being better in almost every way... :p

Years
  • Desktops all the way. Honestly, I wish I never got a laptop - I never take it with me anywhere and it has an integrated Intel graphics card, making it a bad choice for online games (which I like to play). When this thing breaks, I'll make sure to go for a desktop.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I own both, but I never use my desktop any more. It's ancient, being the main reason :laugh: it still runs Windows XP and takes about 10 minutes to start up to the login screen :disappoin I love my laptop, though.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I love the flexibility I have with my laptop. For the last four years, I've taken it pretty much everywhere I go: lectures, classes, home, work, the kitchen... everywhere! I just use it for basic internet browsing, word processing and entertainment watching/listening, so things like fancy graphics cards for games and super-quick processors only available in desktops don't really have the appeal.

Back