• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    Still, I wouldn't want to get a phone that you're forced to buy data for, as that's just some stupid capitalistic BS. My Samsung Galaxy Reverb (SPH-M950) was locked for Virgin Mobile IIRC, but I ran a Wi-Fi signal through it without any service at all. And I had options to get plans without data. The phone was only designed for VM, so that may be why it only took it.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    "Stupid capitalistic BS" - you mean the fee that you pay to maintain the service and whatnot? You realize you're not paying for wifi, you're paying for the 3G/4G service, which the carrier operates and maintains. :|

That said, data plans are ridiculously expensive and mobile carriers are all terrible corporations, but to say that charging for data is "stupid capitalistic BS" is just ignoring the facts.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
    "Stupid capitalistic BS" - you mean the fee that you pay to maintain the service and whatnot? You realize you're not paying for wifi, you're paying for the 3G/4G service, which the carrier operates and maintains. :|
    It's not that itself, lmao. It's the aforementioned removal of the option not to. Forcing you to take certain things with your plans or forcing you to have a plan is just plain stupid, and it's a sales gimmick to con you into paying for more than what you'd use (if you're someone who doesn't use the web, ergo a lot of older people), and that's what bothers me.

Years
    So in other news, my grandmother wanted me to salvage parts from her old XP computer, and I decided to put the hard drive to use, and install Linux on it. Zorin OS to be specific.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
    So in other news, my grandmother wanted me to salvage parts from her old XP computer, and I decided to put the hard drive to use, and install Linux on it. Zorin OS to be specific.
    Do you know what model and size/RPM? I was wanting to salvage my old desktops so badly but I think my mother chucked my old ATX setups and our eMachine is akin to a laptop in terms of malleability. By the way, did you catch the CPU model?

Years
    Do you know what model and size/RPM? I was wanting to salvage my old desktops so badly but I think my mother chucked my old ATX setups and our eMachine is akin to a laptop in terms of malleability. By the way, did you catch the CPU model?
    I didn't, but it was some Dell tower. As for the specs, here's what I could find:

Alexander Nicholi

Years
    I didn't, but it was some Dell tower. As for the specs, here's what I could find:

That doesn't look too old considering it's 7200RPM, but I'm not sure if its SATA I or if its version is ambiguous. Considering that the OS matched to it makes sense. Still, 7200RPM matters like the SATA interface, so… :>

Speaking of hard drives, I just got a 3TB Seagate HDD in the mail today. I played with the partitions and set AutoRun icons for all three partitions along with my two internal partitions (classic XP icon ftw), also cleaning up all the spare partitions here and there. At one point, after creating the partitions on the external and before internal reconciliation, all my partitions filled the window! :P

Years
    One thing I would at least hope for is that my desktop's time doesn't get messed up when I switch back to Windows. :P I think I got the settings correct, I guess I'll find out when I switch back.

Also, I've never really dual-booted between two hard drives before. The last time I dual-booted, I just shared partitions on the same HDD.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Just enable Internet time synchronization. Then you can stop worrying about time going bonkers.

Years
    Turns out my time settings went untouched, which has been a first for me with dual-booting between Linux and Windows.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I guess I really like having all the things right there as I installed a lot of previously-not-installed apps now.

Years
    I need to get another external hard drive sooner or later. I need to make backups of my laptop and my desktop, and I wish I had the space on my current external HDD to do that. :/

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I tried to do an apt upgrade of my Linux Mint installation that didn't do everything that I wanted it to, so it looks like I'll be installing it manually now. Hnnggg, that'll be annoying reinstalling programs but at least I'll keep my home directory so it won't be all lost.

Years
    Hmm, I haven't been so impressed with using a Linux distro like this ever. I've been using my Zorin OS install all day today. :p

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Hmm, one of the best smartphones that you can get, or a 1 TB SSD... Kind of hard to decide. For some reason. Probably because I would appreciate having accelerated everything, but I also kind of need to move on from "budget" smartphones and their limitations.

Years
    Hmm, one of the best smartphones that you can get, or a 1 TB SSD... Kind of hard to decide. For some reason. Probably because I would appreciate having accelerated everything, but I also kind of need to move on from "budget" smartphones and their limitations.
    I'd say it depends on what you really need. If you need a new phone (because of hardware limitations), then go for that. However, if you just want to upgrade for the sake of an upgrade, then go for the SSD instead of the phone.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'm looking at one of the Alcatel phones, the Alcatel OneTouch Idol X. It has similar specs to that of an S4, but at 1/3 the cost (It's only $250!).
    You might want to also consider after-sales support for your device. Also, specs aren't exactly everything. Best to demo the phone for yourself for any gotchas.
    I'd say it depends on what you really need. If you need a new phone (because of hardware limitations), then go for that. However, if you just want to upgrade for the sake of an upgrade, then go for the SSD instead of the phone.
    I think I'm leaning towards the Lumia 930 seeing as the hybrid drive is plenty fast already under most circumstances - way faster than a normal HDD will ever be.

I have a feeling that I wont regret going upscale on my phone big-time. A phone that's close to no-compromise... Man.

Years
    If anything, I really wish more people developed for Windows Phone. It has just as much potential as iOS and Android if you ask me.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    If anything, I really wish more people developed for Windows Phone. It has just as much potential as iOS and Android if you ask me.

I agree, and I miss my Windows Phone. However I blame Microsoft for the lack of support. I bough a new Kia recently, the entertainment system is called UVO, it was designed by Microsoft, even has the Microsoft logo on the dash in the car. The system uses an app on your phone to basically give the car an internet connection. There are only apps for iOS and Android.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back