• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I agree, and I miss my Windows Phone. However I blame Microsoft for the lack of support. I bough a new Kia recently, the entertainment system is called UVO, it was designed by Microsoft, even has the Microsoft logo on the dash in the car. The system uses an app on your phone to basically give the car an internet connection. There are only apps for iOS and Android.

Give them time. I'd suspect everybody's working overtime at this point - it'd probably be better if they implemented support for things that everyone uses first or the entertainment system would be essentially useless.

Feels funny bringing a portable battery every single day, but at least I'll never run out of charge for the day.

Years
  • I think it's bad enough that the "YouTube" app from Microsoft for Windows Phone is just a link to YouTube's mobile site, or at least that's what many of the reviewers are saying.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I think it's bad enough that the "YouTube" app from Microsoft for Windows Phone is just a link to YouTube's mobile site, or at least that's what many of the reviewers are saying.

And the reason why it's not an actual app?

Google won't develop one, nor provide the required APIs - even when the YouTube team themselves are pretty fly with the idea.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • And the reason why it's not an actual app?

Google won't develop one, nor provide the required APIs - even when the YouTube team themselves are pretty fly with the idea.

The was an app. Microsoft built it and it was awesome. Google did not provide the APIs to support ads, so Google demanded Microsoft take it down since the app basically came with adblock installed. Now it's just a link to the mobile website.

Battery life is one of the reasons I won't go back to Android. My iPhone's battery life is good, but still not nearly as good as my old 925.

Years
  • The was an app. Microsoft built it and it was awesome. Google did not provide the APIs to support ads, so Google demanded Microsoft take it down since the app basically came with adblock installed. Now it's just a link to the mobile website.
    That makes no sense at all, really. Does WP just not have the capability to display video ads at all or what?

Years
  • Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • A quick search finds alternative apps like this one. Seems like Windows phone devices have to rely on 3rd party apps just to receive the same functionality other platforms get without all the hassle.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • A quick search finds alternative apps like this one. Seems like Windows phone devices have to rely on 3rd party apps just to receive the same functionality other platforms get without all the hassle.

I used Metro Tube, it's avalible for Windows RT / x86 as well. Provides a nice touch UI for Youtube.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I've been having a weird problem with my Skype lately...
    I can't see the group chats where my friends add me. This was also troubling when my team leader made a new chat group, and I wasn't even aware that he made one. So of course, I wasn't aware of the work we had. >.>
    But if I'm the one who'll make a new chat group, there's no problem. =/

So yeah, I just wanna know why my Skype is acting up like this.
    My OS is Windows 7 and I also tried reinstalling Skype a couple of times, and even tried installing a lower version of it, but still nothing.
    ...I'm not gonna try and reformat my PC. :P

So yeah...
    Anyone has any idea why this is happening to me?

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I've been having a weird problem with my Skype lately...
    I can't see the group chats where my friends add me. This was also troubling when my team leader made a new chat group, and I wasn't even aware that he made one. So of course, I wasn't aware of the work we had. >.>
    But if I'm the one who'll make a new chat group, there's no problem. =/

So yeah, I just wanna know why my Skype is acting up like this.
    My OS is Windows 7 and I also tried reinstalling Skype a couple of times, and even tried installing a lower version of it, but still nothing.
    ...I'm not gonna try and reformat my PC. :P

So yeah...
    Anyone has any idea why this is happening to me?

I guess it's the Skype problem again. Have you tried installing the latest version off the Skype web site, and then leave the entire thing running on your PC for a while?

For some reason, I've never encountered a problem with Skype.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    On the topic of Windows phones: as a mobile developer, working on it just makes no sense. Sure, it has potential, but when your options are to develop for a ton of people or develop for a tiny sliver of people, I don't see how anyone would pick the sliver. Then when you want to work more, it would make more sense to work on a new app for the ton of people instead of expanding your old app to the sliver.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    On the topic of Windows phones: as a mobile developer, working on it just makes no sense. Sure, it has potential, but when your options are to develop for a ton of people or develop for a tiny sliver of people, I don't see how anyone would pick the sliver. Then when you want to work more, it would make more sense to work on a new app for the ton of people instead of expanding your old app to the sliver.

You should develop apps with regard to what should your audience be using; nothing else should really influence your decision.

Though, it does pain me to see that people not even bothering to create a gussied-up web wrapper for Windows Phone. (When it comes to actual mobile code, it's best to try to make code with as few assumptions about the target platform as possible.)

(Also, speaking of mobile market share, things aren't as clear-cut as PCs on a per-country basis. Remember that the second and third place can be any combination of iOS, Windows Phone, and BlackBerry.)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    You should develop apps with regard to what should your audience be using; nothing else should really influence your decision.

Though, it does pain me to see that people not even bothering to create a gussied-up web wrapper for Windows Phone. (When it comes to actual mobile code, it's best to try to make code with as few assumptions about the target platform as possible.)

(Also, speaking of mobile market share, things aren't as clear-cut as PCs on a per-country basis. Remember that the second and third place can be any combination of iOS, Windows Phone, and BlackBerry.)

You forgot about Kindle, which for many applications is not the same as just porting an Android app. Actually, it's pretty funny that you did, because it's representative of the flaw in your thinking - you only think from the developer's perspective, not from the consumer's or the marketer's. It doesn't matter what users should use - your responsibility is not to guide users into using what you deem right for them, but to catering to them where they are.

The difference between developing apps freelance whenever you want and developing as a long term career. :)

Years
  • One thing I like about Android is the ability to sideload apps while on a stock ROM. I'm not sure if it's possible on Windows Phone or not, and I know for a fact that sideloading apps from iOS requires root, or at least I think it does.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    You forgot about Kindle, which for many applications is not the same as just porting an Android app. Actually, it's pretty funny that you did, because it's representative of the flaw in your thinking - you only think from the developer's perspective, not from the consumer's or the marketer's. It doesn't matter what users should use - your responsibility is not to guide users into using what you deem right for them, but to catering to them where they are.

The difference between developing apps freelance whenever you want and developing as a long term career. :)

Did I?

I guess I didn't make my point clear enough - I think I meant "are" where it was a "should" in the last post. And, yes, not all Android devices are the same - I am fully aware of the differences between devices that are "with Google's blessing", so to speak, and other devices that roll their own services (Kindle being one of them, but also to note is Nokia X)

Consumers, marketers - that's one way to put things that way. But what if nobody uses a given platform because nobody bothered to develop apps for it? Sometimes, I think all it takes is an incentive. I can dream, right?

At least nobody can dock points for trying.

One thing I like about Android is the ability to sideload apps while on a stock ROM. I'm not sure if it's possible on Windows Phone or not, and I know for a fact that sideloading apps from iOS requires root, or at least I think it does.

On Windows Phone, the only apps you can sideload without a developer licence are the things that you'd be able to get off the Windows Store anyway. (It's more useful for people with no Wi-Fi networks to connect to - download packages on a PC, copy packages to phone, install.)

Years
    Years
  • It's nice to see T-Mobile trying things. We need them to be viable to keep Verizon and AT&T from raising their prices even further.

What's wonderful about being with T-Mobile is that my unlimited data plan was grandfathered into their "Un-Carrier" service rather than being forced into line with their other services. Even though I barely pass 500 MB in usage in a typical month because I'm constantly near a WiFi network, it's nice to know that my data is not limited.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back