• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I was thinking of getting it on Amazon, so is that going to be a problem? From past experience, AT&T usually issues SIM cards to new GoPhones, but whenever I've gotten a new phone, I just usually keep my old SIM and put it into the new phone. My SIM card is already the full-sized version, so would that be a problem?

Yes, since the Nokia Lumia 520 uses a Micro SIM. What you're using right now is Mini SIM. The real "full size" SIM is the size of a credit card. You might want to ask Amazon and/or AT&T about it.

Either way, the SIM's going to change size forever.

(There's one more new format: the Nano SIM, currently used on the Apple iPhone 5S and 5C, and Nokia Lumia phablets (1520, for example).)

Years
  • This right here is my SIM card, which I believe is Mini SIM. I wasn't aware that full-sized SIMs were the size of a credit card o_o

Spoiler:

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    This right here is my SIM card, which I believe is Mini SIM. I wasn't aware that full-sized SIMs were the size of a credit card o_o

Spoiler:

Yep.

Anyway, you don't gain or lose features when you change SIM card sizes, so the only thing you should take note about the size change is that the new SIM won't be directly usable on your old phone.

Years
  • Yeah, I see now. However, would you recommend I cut the current SIM card into the shape of a MicroSIM as I'm seeing on some forums (if I do get the phone) or just see if AT&T could re-issue me a new SIM card where I can keep the same number?

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Yeah, I see now. However, would you recommend I cut the current SIM card into the shape of a MicroSIM as I'm seeing on some forums (if I do get the phone) or just see if AT&T could re-issue me a new SIM card where I can keep the same number?

Most operators should be able to reissue a new SIM card with the same number. Just wait for the reissue and get an adapter if you really want to use the SIM card in your old phone. Trying to cut a SIM card might end up in a ruined card if you accidentally cut the internal chips.

The safest way to a micro SIM is, well, getting a (free) reissue from your operator. After all, if the card's going to change in size either way...

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Guys help I am flashing a 4.4 KitKat ROM on my phone :c I THINK I MIGHT BE AN ADDICT

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • Most operators should be able to reissue a new SIM card with the same number. Just wait for the reissue and get an adapter if you really want to use the SIM card in your old phone. Trying to cut a SIM card might end up in a ruined card if you accidentally cut the internal chips.

The safest way to a micro SIM is, well, getting a (free) reissue from your operator. After all, if the card's going to change in size either way...

Just Ask AT&T they should give you a new SIM for free. Just tell them you got a new phone, and your old SIM won't fit.

Guys help I am flashing a 4.4 KitKat ROM on my phone :c I THINK I MIGHT BE AN ADDICT
    Please flash responsibly.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    CC, just remember to have a plan for going back to stock if you ever need to resolve a problem with the custom firmware. Do also note that the warranty's void if the phone is serviced and traces of custom firmware were detected.

Zach, it should be a breeze to migrate from your old phone to the Nokia. That's one of the joys of not having any baggage to cling onto - you're essentially starting from scratch. There's probably a good reason how Windows Phone market share gains are from new users for the most part, and how the 520 is the most popular Windows Phone by a large margin.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Oh yeah, my warranty's been void since the day I got the phone. xD It's almost over, anyway, if it weren't void. I can always odin back to stock if need be, also I have a TWRP backup of the ROM I was on before.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    An Android phone with no app drawer? That certainly is a bit strange.

I particularly like how Windows Phone handles the home screen and the app "drawer". If you want to, you could certainly rock the phone with no home screen, with only the application list to deal with. You can do it Android-style with Live Tiles acting as widgets. Or you could icon up the Start screen if you want to.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBVYwtgZWtg
    Not strange, just different. Once you get used to it, the UI is very useful.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Stock? Or did PA finally update?

Tablet is still on 4.3.1. It's PAC (PA + AOKP + CM + others). My phone was on the same thing for a while but I was having random issues. I am running PA 4.0 but it's an alpha build. There aren't really ANY noticeable bugs, just it's pretty much basic AOSP. No hybrid settings, halo, etc... but I like it so far.

Years
  • Speaking of AOSP, I really wish the AOSP browser still worked in KitKat fine without having to root. I sucessfully got the AOSP browser onto my Nexus 7 when it ran Jellybean 4.3, but that version stopped working as soon as I placed KitKat onto the device.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Ouch that sucks Zach. Have you tried Naked Browser? It's supposed to be pretty good and low on resources.

Years
  • I haven't even heard of naked browser before O_o but I had a look at it and it looks interesting to say the least.. I'd rather just wait though to see if the AOSP browser can be ported over though. I'll wait for something to pop up on XDA for sure.

SS01

#PoC Collab
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Zach, try chrome. You will not be disappointed..

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    The only supported mobile platform for Adobe Flash Player is Windows RT and that's counted as desktop. Man, sometimes I wish mobile Flash Player development didn't stop.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • All this talk about flashing makes me want to flash a rom on my old Infuse. Since I'm no longer going to be using it as much because my iPhone has taken over 90% of my life rn /shot I should totally do it...and with NO EXCUSES. It's no longer covered by insurance, warranty expired, might as well do so :D

Also, Chrome on iPhone works amazingly well. <3

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    All this talk about flashing makes me want to flash a rom on my old Infuse. Since I'm no longer going to be using it as much because my iPhone has taken over 90% of my life rn /shot I should totally do it...and with NO EXCUSES. It's no longer covered by insurance, warranty expired, might as well do so :D

So many uses for an old phone that's perfectly good otherwise. Sometimes you can get the strangest things to work. (HTC HD2 is well past its expiration date at this point, and yet it can run everything, all thanks to a dedicated hacking community.)

Also, Chrome on iPhone works amazingly well. <3

Now imagine what could it have been if Chrome could bring its own rendering and scripting engines to iOS. Chrome is pretty much a UI on top of Safari's own engines on iOS. However, just being a UI does not mean you can't do much - in fact, years of IE shells says otherwise.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back