• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    300gb of it? You must really love the series o_o That's a lot of Star Trek

Don't judge me xD I have every episode of every series, including the animated series and every film. :D

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'll say something about HDDs.

I hate not being able to make my own folder structure for my stuff. I despise the way Windows organizes your user folderfor you, and its impossible to change it. That's why I leave everything but my Program Files and my Application Data untouched (unless I forget to modify my downloads directory in FF).

My old (now broken) 320GB MyBook HDD was nicknamed "Bookie", so I set it to always boot to drive letter B:. It made me feel like it had priority over the system partition :P Speaking of Bookie, I'm supposed to be getting a replacement for it this Christmas. It's gonna be a 1.5 TB Western Digital® MyBook™ HDD. :D

*is now officially confused by the post*

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    ^ LOL

I also have a ton of movies (over 500 or so) and lots of TV series. I love torrenting.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'm certainly not giving up my spinning disks and discs without a fight. Cheap bulk storage remains cheap for a long time. :P

I won't get an SSD until they actually meet my storage needs.

Years
  • I still prefer hard drive disks over solid state drives, but I just don't know why.. I guess it's because of the price for one, and maybe the size as well. I'm just more traditional as well when it comes to pieces of technology.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    HDDs and SSHDs also don't have sudden failure. You'll know when a drive is dying but not dead.

You don't have write cycles, either.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
    Years
  • I'll say something about HDDs.

I hate not being able to make my own folder structure for my stuff. I despise the way Windows organizes your user folderfor you, and its impossible to change it. That's why I leave everything but my Program Files and my Application Data untouched (unless I forget to modify my downloads directory in FF).

This sounds more like your problem, than a Windows problem, actually.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    HDDs and SSHDs also don't have sudden failure. You'll know when a drive is dying but not dead.

You don't have write cycles, either.

Yeah those are quite nice. I've been lucky that my desktop server's hard drives have lasted so long. :)

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Yeah those are quite nice. I've been lucky that my desktop server's hard drives have lasted so long. :)

Hard disk drives tend to fail more easily than other computer hardware components aside from solid-state drives, but at least with HDDs you're relying on time-tested technology. I still don't really trust flash memory.

Things tend to go bad in batches, too. If you've bought several disk drives in the same time period, it's likely that they're in the same batch. If one fails, the other disks are basically on death watch - they're significantly more likely to fail as it's likely that the defects in the failed disk also exists on the other disks.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Yeah, I bought them over time. The newest addition is the 1.5 terabyte internal which is amazing. The 500gb is around 7 years old and I think the 320gb might be even older, I'm not sure.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    It's funny how going from a 750 GB laptop HDD to a 1 TB laptop SSHD relieves storage pressure and improves performance significantly. I'm quite the media hoard, so... well, I need all the storage I can get without breaking the bank or losing endurance.

And as luck would have it, I forgot to image the recovery partition properly. Good thing I didn't do too many changes to the new disk drive, so I only had to copy over the new downloads (as everything else can be copied again from my phone) and wipe the disk clean, and redo the imaging process again. (This does also have the nice side effect of reinitializing the NAND cache.)

I'm actually also working on the old disk drive right now, albeit temporarily. Just need to clean things up and optimize the disk drive with a spiffy new defragmenter before imaging the neater disk image.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    How much did that size sshd cost you?

US$114.17 equivalent for the SSHD (remember, I'm doing currency conversions and am not factoring in any taxes and shipping, since, well, I bought it locally).

Try getting a real SSD of that size, and you will know the meaning of budget constraints. :)

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    US$114.17 equivalent for the SSHD (remember, I'm doing currency conversions and am not factoring in any taxes and shipping, since, well, I bought it locally).

Try getting a real SSD of that size, and you will know the meaning of budget constraints. :)

That's not bad at all really for what you get... Hmm.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    That's not bad at all really for what you get... Hmm.

The average American and/or Canadian online retailer probably has discounts on it, and you'd probably be also eligible with mail-in rebates. Try checking out Newegg and Amazon.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I would if I had the money right now haha. I want to upgrade my desktop one day but I have no need right now. It does everything I need it to do.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back