• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I've tried Chrome on my iPad, and it ran pretty nicely—no issues at all. Switched back to Opera Mini few days later, though, as I just couldn't live without it. It loads pages quite fast, even when your connection is weak. Chrome does the same, but not as good as Mini. d: Haven't used Google Chrome on any of phones yet, but will at some point in the future!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I had Opera Mini on my old phone, and yeah I gotta agree! Not only it loads quicker, but it eats less of my mobile data cap. The default Android browser eats a TON of my mobile data when I browse sites like PC, and it makes my phone unusable almost.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    I'm also pretty sure opera mini utilizes cloud loading for websites to minimize the download size of each site. If you haven't an idea what that means, basically it loads the site on separate servers, and sends them complete back to you, in a compressed size. Or is that chrome? Anyway, one of those browsers definitely cloud computes the sites.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I believe Chrome does that. I signed in with my Google account on my iPhone's Chrome browser and was able to access my desktop bookmarks without the necessity of typing urls, or bookmarking everything all over again.

& yeah, you are correct on the above. Which is why I saved soooo much mobile data in the past several months because of it. :D

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I use Opera Mini sometimes... on my other Nokia, a Nokia 110. It's a feature phone, and yet web browsing is actually tolerable with it with Opera Mini as long as I don't suddenly go off and attempt to type a short story with a T9 keypad.

Years
  • I wonder if Opera Mini uses the same Opera engine that the DSi browser uses, which is based on Opera. But then again, I doubt it if y'all say it really loads webpages faster, considering that the Opera browser on the DSi XL is really slow with loading non-mobile sites.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I wonder if Opera Mini uses the same Opera engine that the DSi browser uses, which is based on Opera. But then again, I doubt it if y'all say it really loads webpages faster, considering that the Opera browser on the DSi XL is really slow with loading non-mobile sites.

Opera Mini has most of the rendering done on somewhere else (usually servers belonging to Opera) before the reduced content is sent to your device.

Nintendo DSi Internet Browser uses the actual Presto engine running on the Nintendo DSi to render pages.

Predictably, trying to render modern pages, even of the mobile variety, on a system with a single usable 133 MHz ARM9 processor (The 33 MHz ARM7 is secondary), 16 MB of RAM, and nowhere to page memory is difficult and full of "out of memory" errors. It's much easier to render pages when something else is doing the job for feature phones.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I use Firefox on my phone and tablet for the amazing lastpass addon, haha. Since I'm a premium user of lastpass it works out well :P

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Opera Mini has most of the rendering done on somewhere else (usually servers belonging to Opera) before the reduced content is sent to your device.

Nintendo DSi Internet Browser uses the actual Presto engine running on the Nintendo DSi to render pages.

Predictably, trying to render modern pages, even of the mobile variety, on a system with a single usable 133 MHz ARM9 processor (The 33 MHz ARM7 is secondary), 16 MB of RAM, and nowhere to page memory is difficult and full of "out of memory" errors. It's much easier to render pages when something else is doing the job for feature phones.
    That also explains why the 3DS browser sucks in the multimedia department, I have to reduce whole sites to just text to get them to load.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • The Wii's internet browser (also powered by Opera) is just as bad. :S Who even uses the browser on the Wii? xD I only used it once to browse PC and it's even more painful than browsing on a phone.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Yep. Thankfully the Wii U's is a god send. That thing, on the gamepad, is sublime.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • I'm also pretty sure opera mini utilizes cloud loading for websites to minimize the download size of each site. If you haven't an idea what that means, basically it loads the site on separate servers, and sends them complete back to you, in a compressed size. Or is that chrome? Anyway, one of those browsers definitely cloud computes the sites.
    I believe Chrome does that. I signed in with my Google account on my iPhone's Chrome browser and was able to access my desktop bookmarks without the necessity of typing urls, or bookmarking everything all over again.

& yeah, you are correct on the above. Which is why I saved soooo much mobile data in the past several months because of it. :D

Opera Mini does the cloud compressing. Google Chrome just saves your bookmarks on their servers, then allows you to download said bookmarks on other computers and mobile devices.

Years
  • I will say though.. the 3DS browser is much better than the DSi browser. It's at least able to attempt its best to render desktop websites, as I've been able to load PC just fine without the WIP Mobile skin on my 3DS XL's browser.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Try browsing the web with a phone like this, then you'll know how bad it feels.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

this was a phone i had in the past before i jumped into my first android phone, which was the T-Mobile G1 lolol

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I don't think so..probably 2G. & yeah, every website you go to would look like you're browsing the net during the early 2000's or something maybe earlier, but with the keyboard it was easier to navigate/type.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    I had to browse for the last year with the 3DS so I know those feels....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back