• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen DexNav Shiny Chaining and Perfect IV Guide. (Updated V.1)

Frostinite

PrettyFrosty
Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 19, 2015
    This will Be a work in progress as i have never made my own thread before.

I did not see a complete topic for this so if there is i do apologize.

The DexNav's search ability is probably one of the most useful features in the game. So i will share all i figured out while experimenting with the feature to get a shiny Ralts!

So if you don't want to haul through a load of text i made a quick video it isn't the best as i don't make videos like this but i give a basic explanation of what you need to do to get into shiny chaining and What sort of features The Dexnav has for you Like getting you Perfect 6 IV pokemon, again once i get a bit more used to making videos and i get better equipement ill update everything
    The quality of the video (not sound) is bad i know but this is as i said just to help and give everyone an idea what to do!

So if you prefer to read the explanation instead this is for you

Lets use this image of a Poochyena as a base for the explanation:

dexnavlevels.jpg

Search Level:

Spoiler:

Potential

Spoiler:

Ability

Spoiler:

First Moves.
    Spoiler:

Levels and Shiny hunting!
    Spoiler:

I will add to this guide with time. As i learn more but for now i will leave it at this and hopefully in some way this has helped some of you understand how this works.

Feel free to leave posts of what you have found using the dexnav be it shinies to Perfect IV pokemon, hidden abilities to egg moves!

If you have further questions or something doesnt make sense just ask and ill help.

In a few days i will redo the Video guide to be a little more informative (In less time) And with more solid facts

[ Stay Frosty !]

Last edited:

Volga

The Dragon Knight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    1st Poochyena Lv.2
    5th Poochyena Lv12
    6th Poochyena Lv3
    10th Poochyena Lv13
    11th Poochyena Lv4
    15th Poochyena Lv14
    16th Poochyena Lv 5
    20th Poochyena Lv15

And so on!
    this extra level rise is a great way for you to keep count on your chain. If the level at any point goes back down to level 2 you broke your chain somewhere.

The level rise thing has nothing to do with chaining, if that's how your levels were, then that's just a coincidence.
    I've chained a Poochyena and got a shiny after about 70, and he was level 2 multiple times, same thing happened for Zigzagoon (got a shiny after about 130).

Anyways, other than that, this looks like a pretty decent guide. :)

Frostinite

PrettyFrosty
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 19, 2015
    The level rise thing has nothing to do with chaining, if that's how your levels were, then that's just a coincidence.
    I've chained a Poochyena and got a shiny after about 70, and he was level 2 multiple times, same thing happened for Zigzagoon (got a shiny after about 130).

Anyways, other than that, this looks like a pretty decent guide. :)

really? Wouldnt that mean there isn't really a chain method it's just continuously encountering the pokemon? After all it's a bit odd to have the levels increase every 5 or so enconters using the dex nav if there is no real point to it, plus these levels seem to only increase when i search and chain.
    Seems i need to investigate more!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hm, guess this is a guide i'll have to pay attention to if I want to learn how to use the DexNav. I'd really like to breed some interesting stuff in this game and not have to transfer everything from XY :P

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • Thanks for this Thread :) I do wonder though (because I have read different theories regarding this one), when I would be chaining for, lets say Poochyena. I encountered it 21 times, and the 22nd time the DexNav can't find it in the area. I do keep running until I find it, but what happens when it keeps saying that this Pokemon I want to find isn't in the area? (you can't leave the area because that will break the chain right?)
    Because some say that you need to encounter another random Pokemon, KO it, and search for Poochyena (in my case) again. But doesn't encountering another Pokemon break your chain? @_@ I can't help but feeling a bit confused about this..

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    I got myself a Shiny Eevee from this method. If I remember correctly, I got it around my 90th-100th chain. I'm not sure what's the actual method, but it seems to work. Thanks for this thread, by the way. ;)

Frostinite

PrettyFrosty
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 19, 2015
    Hm, guess this is a guide i'll have to pay attention to if I want to learn how to use the DexNav. I'd really like to breed some interesting stuff in this game and not have to transfer everything from XY :P

Most likely the guide will change over time! Its difficult to say what the method truly is im comparing my own and matts theory now. I know hat you mean! This game seems to be really convenient

Thanks for this Thread :) I do wonder though (because I have read different theories regarding this one), when I would be chaining for, lets say Poochyena. I encountered it 21 times, and the 22nd time the DexNav can't find it in the area. I do keep running until I find it, but what happens when it keeps saying that this Pokemon I want to find isn't in the area? (you can't leave the area because that will break the chain right?)
    Because some say that you need to encounter another random Pokemon, KO it, and search for Poochyena (in my case) again. But doesn't encountering another Pokemon break your chain? @_@ I can't help but feeling a bit confused about this..

Really its down to patience, treat it like the poke radar, if it can't find you pokemon walk 50 steps, also try to search in a spot that has patches of grass either side of your character i do this and have not had a problem! To clerify as long as you run around until a new tail appears, encounter it and KO it your chain won't break.your chain will only break if you scare it off before encountering or running in battle. Easiest way is to build a chain of 5-6 then run around until a tail from a different pokemon appears and KO it.

I got myself a Shiny Eevee from this method. If I remember correctly, I got it around my 90th-100th chain. I'm not sure what's the actual method, but it seems to work. Thanks for this thread, by the way. ;)
    Your welcome! Lucky on the Eevee encounter! As long as it works right? :]

Saki

The Fire Fox
    Years
  • Does anyone have a specific recommendation for what Pokemon you should use while chaining? Specific sets, etc?

Thanks for the thread, it's helpful. :)

Frostinite

PrettyFrosty
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 19, 2015
    Does anyone have a specific recommendation for what Pokemon you should use while chaining? Specific sets, etc?

Thanks for the thread, it's helpful. :)

Thanks your most kind, if you want a specific nature to your shiny use a pokemon with synchronize ability ralts is available early in the game so its a perfect choice. Gardevour can learn Thunder wave so it makes captures that little bit easier. You also may want to have a pokemon that can learn false swipe. Unless the shiny your after can learn self damaging moves. Or maybe even pokemon that learns spore or hypnosis, if your trying to capture a shiny ralts or abra it would be a huge pain if it used teleport! Jumpluff would be a nice bet it's high speed stat makes it great for chaining and legendary battles! Although sleep powder isnt a surefire move ! its all down to preference, I use gardevour myself! hope i helped!

Saki

The Fire Fox
    Years
  • Thanks your most kind, if you want a specific nature to your shiny use a pokemon with synchronize ability ralts is available early in the game so its a perfect choice. Gardevour can learn Thunder wave so it makes captures that little bit easier. You also may want to have a pokemon that can learn false swipe. Unless the shiny your after can learn self damaging moves. Or maybe even pokemon that learns spore or hypnosis, if your trying to capture a shiny ralts or abra it would be a huge pain if it used teleport! Jumpluff would be a nice bet it's high speed stat makes it great for chaining and legendary battles! Although sleep powder isnt a surefire move ! its all down to preference, I use gardevour myself! hope i helped!

Yes, thanks for your help! I shall put together a good chaining team and test it out soon ^_^

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    For capturing you could use a Smeargle with Spore, False Swipe, Soak and I seems to never remember the 4th one, Technician will increase the damage of False Swipe.

Frostinite

PrettyFrosty
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 19, 2015
    For capturing you could use a Smeargle with Spore, False Swipe, Soak and I seems to never remember the 4th one, Technician will increase the damage of False Swipe.

Haha so your basically recommending to use Scizor! Which isn't a bad choice.

Just a little update i'm either going to replace the Text with video tutorials or have both in the main Guide. I've learn't a little more so i think a video explanation would be a little easier. I'll shorten the guide aswell but make it easier to follow.

So hopefully that will implement later this evening first video will be shiny hunting itself and the second will be EV's and Perfect IV guides. There don't seem to be any videos explaining the Dex Nav or Capturing perfect pokemon for OR AS yet so i'll get on to that for you all.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Haha so your basically recommending to use Scizor! Which isn't a bad choice.

Just a little update i'm either going to replace the Text with video tutorials or have both in the main Guide. I've learn't a little more so i think a video explanation would be a little easier. I'll shorten the guide aswell but make it easier to follow.

So hopefully that will implement later this evening first video will be shiny hunting itself and the second will be EV's and Perfect IV guides. There don't seem to be any videos explaining the Dex Nav or Capturing perfect pokemon for OR AS yet so i'll get on to that for you all.

Well smeargle has stab on False Swipe at the same time.

Frostinite

PrettyFrosty
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 19, 2015
    Well smeargle has stab on False Swipe at the same time.

Valid point! They are both just as useful since Scizor has great ATK

Anyway for anyone who prefers i made a quick video so you can listen and kind of see what you have to go about getting Shiny/perfect IV pokemon. See guide at the top of Page 1
    It may not be the best guide but it gives you the basics of everything quite simply! I ramble a bit i know but a friend on another forum has already found it quite useful!

I also added a small update to encounters

Last edited:

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    A general idea for Egg Move hunting is that if Serebii or Bulbapedia lists the Egg Move, it's possible to find it. I'm actually using these finds for moves I'm not aware of to make some edits at Bulbapedia; Tickle, for instance, wasn't found on Skitty's listings (and, subsequently, Delcatty's), so I added it. I'll have to make entries for Plusle and Minun for Charm and Fake Tears as well as they are new in OR/AS.

NEway, here are some of my known moves for catches, noting again that all Egg Moves are possible to find.

Poochyena: Astonish, Covet, Ice Fang, Me First, Play Rough (this is ace for my Prism League team if I can breed a good one), Poison Fang, Sleep Talk, Snatch, Sucker Punch, Thunder Fang, Yawn (currently training a second Thunder Fang, one untouched, have an extra Poison Fang)

Ralts: Confuse Ray, Disable, Encore, Grudge, Shadow Sneak, Synchronoise

Skitty: Cosmic Power, Last Resort, Sucker Punch, Tickle, Uproar, Zen Headbutt

Plusle/Minun (all are Minun catches except where noted): Charm (ORAS only; this is my Lv.16 Plusle), Discharge, Fake Tears (ORAS only), Lucky Chant, Sing (I have both Plusle and Minun for this), Sweet Kiss, Wish; I note regarding my Lv.16 Plusle that it's caught in Omega Ruby through chaining, just like other strong Pokémon appear in chains, but they go to Lv.16 instead of Lv.23 since chain finds like this generally gain ten levels in that area (13-23, 11-21, 6-16)

Taillow: Boomburst, Mirror Move, Refresh, Sky Attack, Supersonic (I have an extra Refresh one that I decided to use as mine, which can be useful if poisoned, but useless against something with Static or the ability to paralyze as it'll just happen again)

Abra: Barrier, Encore, Fire Punch, Guard Split, Guard Swap; the trivial bit here is that it's the only known move (as Teleport is completely replaced), which can still make catching extremely difficult in some cases; I had Struggle being used by the Encore Abra

Wingull: Gust, Mist, Twister, Wide Guard

Surskit: Endure, Fell Stinger, Foresight, Hydro Pump

Zigzagoon: Charm, Rock Climb, Sleep Talk

Nincada: Bug Bite, Night Slash, Silver Wind

Seedot: Beat Up, Power Swap

Whismur: Smelling Salts (normally requires chaining, so a nice find), Take Down

Single catches include a Charm Shroomish that I used to Dex it (will hunt for it later, was heading to Dewford at the time), a Crush Claw Slakoth, an Acid Armor Gulpin, and a Flame Burst Electrike. I also battled and caught a Lv.23 Oddish, but a Lv.23 Electrike and Lv.23 Minun were issuing OHKOs at leisure, leaving me no chance to catch them and forcing me to run away. Minun also has been coming up the most on Route 110 at random; I'm going to concentrate on others in the future instead of doing random as I have all of their Egg Moves already between my Minun and the Lv.16 Plusle with Charm. Interestingly, Search Lvels go up big time with hordes; I've used Sweet Scent quite a bit on Route 110; I'm now Lv.145 on Magnemite with only one catch, and Lv.119 with Minun.

Off to look for a nice Egg Move Magnemite at Lv.6 now.

EDIT: More research. You do NOT have to chain to get maximum potential. I was doing random grass battles and a Minun appeared, so I exited and crept around. Search Level 122, no chain, and I had at least 4 perfect IVs for a catch.

EDIT: You don't have to chain for HAs either. A random Minun (it's my highest that appears without DexNav's prompting, hence why always Minun) came up with Volt Absorb at Lv.11 and no potential. I wonder if chaining is needed to get both HA and 31s at once.

Last edited:

ben96atkinson

Pokémon Spiral
    Years
  • So I am trying my very hardest to chain a shiny Ralts, for a Gallade and Gardevoir team, but I keep failing my chain at around 15-20 every time! ;-; I either accidentally move the analog stick slightly to far and it causes me to walk to fast... or when creeping extremely slow, sometimes when I stop, the DexNav tells me, It ran away! And it's getting real annoying... Any ideas?

Frostinite

PrettyFrosty
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 19, 2015
    A general idea for Egg Move hunting is that if Serebii or Bulbapedia lists the Egg Move, it's possible to find it. I'm actually using these finds for moves I'm not aware of to make some edits at Bulbapedia; Tickle, for instance, wasn't found on Skitty's listings (and, subsequently, Delcatty's), so I added it. I'll have to make entries for Plusle and Minun for Charm and Fake Tears as well as they are new in OR/AS.

NEway, here are some of my known moves for catches, noting again that all Egg Moves are possible to find.

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Well generally Serebii and Bulbi have the most up-to date information before anyone else so it is generally no surprise, in regards to your response with all of these eggs moves - i will do a large scale update to this Guide as in change the whole layout and i will include All Egg moves currently found for everyone to see. All the ones that have been confirmed that is. Although from your listing and i apologise i only had a quick read as i'm actually in work. I did notice certain aspects missing like for example, Poochyena also has Fire Fang. Ralts on the other learns alot more although it's vague as it's by memory what i have encountered until i get home. One sure move i remember would be Destiny Bond, Misty Terrain and Momento.

I will continue to encounter more pokemon starting from the first route and work my way around chain as many as possible and make a listing. But this will also be something that will gradually update.
    So feel free to post your encounters as you find them
    In response to your edits i never said chaining was crucial for those elements only that they helped. For potential or any other factor is relient on the Search level. Although what you find is still randomly generate by the game.

As i said i will revamp the Guide to make it easier to follow and navigate.

So I am trying my very hardest to chain a shiny Ralts, for a Gallade and Gardevoir team, but I keep failing my chain at around 15-20 every time! ;-; I either accidentally move the analog stick slightly to far and it causes me to walk to fast... or when creeping extremely slow, sometimes when I stop, the DexNav tells me, It ran away! And it's getting real annoying... Any ideas?

It just takes practice with the analog stick, everyone makes mistakes just got to keep at it! Thats why i say Patience is probably a key factor!
    You can actually walk up to the pokemon if you know were it is up to 4-5 steps away. But from there you have to sneak. And if it runs before you encounter it you shouldn't worry i found that your chain does not break if this happens.
    Just encounter it again and if the level is still the increased amount for the chain then your fine!

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    [/SPOILER]Well generally Serebii and Bulbi have the most up-to date information before anyone else so it is generally no surprise, in regards to your response with all of these eggs moves - i will do a large scale update to this Guide as in change the whole layout and i will include All Egg moves currently found for everyone to see. All the ones that have been confirmed that is. Although from your listing and i apologise i only had a quick read as i'm actually in work. I did notice certain aspects missing like for example, Poochyena also has Fire Fang. Ralts on the other learns alot more although it's vague as it's by memory what i have encountered until i get home. One sure move i remember would be Destiny Bond, Misty Terrain and Momento.
    Indeed. You're correct on all of those. I've only listed anything I've CAUGHT.

In fact, I recently found the breed6 template over at Bulbapedia (just today in fact, it went live last month), so I'm starting to change the breeding templates over to that. Just did that for Minun, in fact (waiting for help getting a tag working for ORAS labels on Fake Tears and Charm), and just completed an edit for the five Taillow I have. There are, as you said, numerous other moves listed, but I'm only going to edit for data I can personally confirm, not blanket edit everything. As such, I only listed here what I've caught, not everything that CAN be caught. About to edit for Abra, Ralts (ironically), Skitty, and Poochyena, then I'll move on in my game and get to Mauville since most of my 'Mons are now Lv.18 and so that I can get more research on Route 117's species to be found. I'm eager to be able to Surf (think I have to beat Norman, right?) so I can also clear a Gen. VI Unown on my Dex and copy that to X toi give it the hexagon.

And yes, speaking of Ralts, I have a Ralts from Wonder Trade with four Egg Moves attached. These include Memento and Destiny Bond. I have not touched this Ralts as yet (it was received in X before ORAS released).

ben96atkinson

Pokémon Spiral
    Years
  • Chain keeps getting broken, so annoying!

So I'm trying my real best at chaining a shiny Ralts, but when I try to approach a Ralts at a chain of around 10 - 15 when I'm approaching Ralts my bottom screen says 'It Ran Away!', and no, I didn't accidentally walk fast! It's bugging me as I want a shiny Ralts bad...

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • So you can chain using the Pokénav? I had an idea but wasn't sure if it was possible.
    Do Pokémon abilities help keep chains longer though like they do with Fishing chains (such as Suction Cups).

Back