• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Diamond / Pearl Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tombstone975

The grass is always greener.
    Years
    -Actually, if you are able to, I would suggest importing Platinum once it is released in North America this March. It should still work on your DS regardless of the region.

-Honestly, I personally find the DS Lite to be far superior in terms of longevity, portability, and all-around usefulness. So, if you can afford to do so, I would most certainly suggest upgrading.

-As Gerri Shin pointed out, as long as you are not using WPA protection, you should already have suitable Wi-Fi running inside your home.
    Nahh i might as well wait for Platnium to come out in Australia because I have Pokemon Ruby and i wanted to transfer pokemon from there to the ds game.

Yea,Im not happy with the Ds normal plus theres so many things only for ds lite.

as long as your current wireless internet router supports 802.11 BG it should be fine and if it has protection, make sure its WEP and not WPA protected.

as for trading in the DSphat for a DSlite, I'd say go for it. I've had my DSlite for almost 2 years now and it still works perfectly. (granted I'm not the heaviest gamer)

definitely wait for platinum, I have english versions of Diamond and Pearl and the Japanese version of Platinum. even without understanding most of what was conversed in the game it still blew D/P out of the water with features.
    Yea I have a wireless router so do I still need to buy the ad on the Ds?

I haven't seen any bit of Platnium yet,I wanted to try it out on Rom but its Japenese only and i wanna see what the diffrent storylines are.

Gunners

wants Arsenal to pwm everyone!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2009
    My buizel got bred natural git, but it can only be learnt as a TM and its parent didnt have it. Why did it get it as an egg move?

Schala_25

Denizen of the Darkness
    Years
    My buizel got bred natural git, but it can only be learnt as a TM and its parent didnt have it. Why did it get it as an egg move?

Just to clarify: Are you sure that neither of the parents had Natural Gift? (For that matter, which two Pokemon were you breeding?)
    Did you get either parent from a trade (basically, do you know for certain whether they were legit or not)?
    Also, have you ever hacked your game before?

A hacked game or Pokemon could cause odd moves to appear on a bred Pokemon. For instance, a person bred a Wailren with Blizzard with a Rapidash, and the Ponyta that resulted knew Blizzard. The person had been to Glitch City, so it was determined that the move was an effect of that. Its possible that this is something similar to that, but more information would be helpful.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    Glitch City? The player must have been doing some serious hacking if he was able to access a place only accessible in Red and Blue in D/P.

Anyway, are you sure that neither Pokemon knew Natural Gift?

cyan.

▲ 愛してる .
    Years
    Three more questions.

A) If I breed ditto with _____. How long will it take to become an egg?

B) I can't get into the ribbon society.(Resort Area) Do I need 10 ribbons?

C) I don't get it when people say things like this:
    EV: *Number*
    IV: 1/22/333/4444 or whatever

What does it mean? I know EV= Effort Values
    And IV=Individual Values.
    But I don't under stand the numbers and all. Thanks.

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2023
    Three more questions.

A) If I breed ditto with _____. How long will it take to become an egg?

Do you mean how long will it take for the two to produce an egg? That depends on how much they like each other. The game determines ever 256 steps if there will be an egg. The only time there will not be an egg is when the old man says something like "They seem to prefer to play with other Pokemon".

Even if you get "They don't seem to like each other much", there will still be an egg. It just takes a little longer than normal.

Now how long it takes to hatch a pokemon depends on its species. To speed up the process get a Slugma or Magcargo. Their abilities (both Flame Body and Magma Armor) reduce the number of steps needed to hatch by half. So a pokemon that needs around 5000 steps will only need around 2500 steps. Camerupt can also have Magma Armor but you're better off looking for a Slugma or Magcargo since both its abilities work.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Sinnoh Champion Cynthia

[1]
    IceDrake523 covered this pretty well. Just cruise around and check the poketch and eventually, an egg will appear. If the pokemon is unbreedable (Pichu, Togepi, Unown, Nidorina, all legendaries but Manaphy, etc), there will never be an egg.

[2]
    Yep, have a pokemon with any 10 ribbons (Hoenn or Sinnoh).

[3]
    IV, or Individual Value, are static numbers ranging from 0-31 determined when the pokemon is first born/caught. IVs distinguishes your pokemon from other of its species so it's unique. To check your pokemon's IVs, use this.

EV, or Effort Value, are manipulative numbers ranging from 0-255 and can boost your pokemon's stats. For every wild/trainer pokemon you defeat, your pokemon is rewarded with points for its effort in battle. 4 points equal 1 stat increase. Each enemy pokemon gives a set amount of points. For example, if you defeat a Starly, you will gain 1 Speed point. If you defeat 4 Starly, you will gain 4 Speed points; as a result, your Speed stat will increase by 1.

As 255 points is the limit for one stat, your pokemon can be boosted about 63 points in a single stat, which will then give it an edge in battle. 510 points is the maximum limit. Keep in mind that 255/4 is a fraction and will be rounded down; thus, it is recommended to use 252 points in a stat and use the leftover points in another stat.

EV Spreads often look like 6/252/252.

Years
    In the D/P underground I'm always in the upper right section.
    And there are flashing dots in the lower sections and I don't know how to get there.
    How do I?

Also.
    Why is UT only wanted, and when a pokemon it touched, the offer is almost always automatically off.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    In the D/P underground I'm always in the upper right section.
    And there are flashing dots in the lower sections and I don't know how to get there.
    How do I?

Also.
    Why is UT only wanted, and when a pokemon it touched, the offer is almost always automatically off.

-Where you end up in the Underground depends on where you are in Sinnoh when you use the Explorer Kit. Try going to a different area and entering from there.

-An UnTouched Pokemon is considered to be in "mint" condition, which is what collectors want.

Gunners

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2009
    I got an azumarill from a trade then bred that to get a marill it had good IVs and i caught a wild male floatzal to give aqua jet too it was lvl 28 none of the pokes had natural gift when i looked at it a baby buizel had natural gift but none of the others did never hacked before

Gunners

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2009
    No

" My buizel got bred natural git, but it can only be learnt as a TM and its parent didnt have it. Why did it get it as an egg move?" then schala replied

"Just to clarify: Are you sure that neither of the parents had Natural Gift? (For that matter, which two Pokemon were you breeding?)
    Did you get either parent from a trade (basically, do you know for certain whether they were legit or not)?
    Also, have you ever hacked your game before?

A hacked game or Pokemon could cause odd moves to appear on a bred Pokemon. For instance, a person bred a Wailren with Blizzard with a Rapidash, and the Ponyta that resulted knew Blizzard. The person had been to Glitch City, so it was determined that the move was an effect of that. Its possible that this is something similar to that, but more information would be helpful. "

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    I got an azumarill from a trade then bred that to get a marill it had good IVs and i caught a wild male floatzal to give aqua jet too it was lvl 28 none of the pokes had natural gift when i looked at it a baby buizel had natural gift but none of the others did never hacked before

Check again. If not, then the Azumarill could have been hacked.

So what's your question gunners...

Does a parent holding an everstone pass on it's nature or IV's.

If either the mother or a Ditto is holding an Everstone, it has a 50% chance of passing on its Nature. IVs can be passed on from either parent regardless.

Gunners

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2009
    it isnt hacked. The grandfather could be hacked got from the GTS but i doubt it as it was caught in victory road at lvl 49 and has a japenese name so probaby had platinum

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    it isnt hacked. [S-HIGHLIGHT]The grandfather could be hacked[/S-HIGHLIGHT] got from the GTS but i doubt it as it was caught in victory road at lvl 49 and has a japenese name so probaby had platinum

That is what I was just suggesting. If you are absolutely certain that Natural Gift was never on any of the relatives, then either the Azumarill is hacked, your game has been hacked before, or you have encountered a glitch.

Gunners

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2009
    Hmmm the parents never been hacked i don't think the grandad has as i think its just platinum game

TwilightBlade

Years
    celuthea
    Yeah, you could, provided that you have the code and follow the directions.

Gunners
    You must be mistaken or forgetful. There's no possible way Buizel can inherit Natural Gift on its own. Maybe a parent's move was override or a younger sibling played your game?

Grandparents cannot pass on moves. Buizel still doesn't learn it as a newborn in Platinum.

cyan.

▲ 愛してる .
    Years
    Sinnoh Champion Cynthia

[1]
    IceDrake523 covered this pretty well. Just cruise around and check the poketch and eventually, an egg will appear. If the pokemon is unbreedable (Pichu, Togepi, Unown, Nidorina, all legendaries but Manaphy, etc), there will never be an egg.

[2]
    Yep, have a pokemon with any 10 ribbons (Hoenn or Sinnoh).

[3]
    IV, or Individual Value, are static numbers ranging from 0-31 determined when the pokemon is first born/caught. IVs distinguishes your pokemon from other of its species so it's unique. To check your pokemon's IVs, use this.

EV, or Effort Value, are manipulative numbers ranging from 0-255 and can boost your pokemon's stats. For every wild/trainer pokemon you defeat, your pokemon is rewarded with points for its effort in battle. 4 points equal 1 stat increase. Each enemy pokemon gives a set amount of points. For example, if you defeat a Starly, you will gain 1 Speed point. If you defeat 4 Starly, you will gain 4 Speed points; as a result, your Speed stat will increase by 1.

As 255 points is the limit for one stat, your pokemon can be boosted about 63 points in a single stat, which will then give it an edge in battle. 510 points is the maximum limit. Keep in mind that 255/4 is a fraction and will be rounded down; thus, it is recommended to use 252 points in a stat and use the leftover points in another stat.

EV Spreads often look like 6/252/252.

But on the thing what does EP Mean?

TwilightBlade

Years
    Sinnoh Champion Cynthia
    It would be the effort point.. Easy to figure out. .-.;

These terms are interchangeable:

Individual Values = Dynamic Values
    Effort Values = Effort Points

Status
    Not open for further replies.