• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Diamond / Pearl Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    Im in a gravler only run and im stuck on gardenia any sudgestions too beat her

Gravler lvl 31

HP ghost
    Magnitude
    Rock Tomb
    harden

Is there any good pokes too train against that isnt wild pokemon

shayminfan12345

a SHAYMIN FAN
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2010
    Question about trading...

Are you gonna be able to trade in platinum to pearl..... or can you only trade from platinum to platinum??

Andelc

Cool Trainer Alex
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2011
    yeah,you can trade Diamond and pearl with platinum.
    D/P +Plat. are all compatible with each other.

Years

Gravler lvl 31

HP ghost
    Magnitude
    Rock Tomb
    harden

You don't even have the Vs. Seeker yet, so no. Just keep leveling up and bring lots and lots of potions. Good luck on when you get to Wake. You'll need it.

Gunners

wants Arsenal to pwm everyone!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2009
    Does magic coat, reflect encore? If so put it in on a wobbuffet lol.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    From what I've come across, it only reflects Leech Seed and any attack that only inflicts a status effect. Such as the confusion caused by Confuse Ray, poisoning caused by Toxic, and etc. Encore is not a move that can be bounced back at an opponent with Magic Coat.

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
    .... Graveler can't learn any type-trumping moves yet, even with TMs. The only thing you can possibly do is train up to a high level. Grind out on some baddies. Make sure you've fought everyone you possibly can. Also, if you have: Go up against her anyway. Save before her, and even if you lose, try to take out at least one poke. You'll gain exp. And eventually you may be lucky enough to beat her. You're in a difficult predicament.

-Leaf

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    where can i get a sudwoodo / bonsly for the main story?
    Edit : Whooops, my bad.. i didn't notice this is D/P thread.. delete this

Years

Gravler lvl 31

HP ghost
    Magnitude
    Rock Tomb
    harden

There's not much you can do besides just keep trying to beat her and hope for a lucky critical. I'm not sure how those mono-pokemon runs work, but if you can, maybe you could trade over a TM for Graveler? Graveler can also learn Fire Punch from the move tutors in Platinum/Emerald, but to do that you'd have to start your challenge all over again, but at least then you might have a chance at Gardenia?

Alternatively, Graveler can learn Fire Blast and Flamethrower from the TM's, so if you could trade those over, it might help, even if Graveler has horrible Special Attack. XD You also may as well just evolve Graveler into Golem, too, because Grass Knot will pretty much always OHKO you, and the extra Attack and Speed might help you. :) Good luck!

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Differences between Physical and Special types

Hi guys, I'm not really a competitive battler. I just play for fun, but something about this new generation kinda puzzled me. It's about the physical and special types. In previous generations, physical types like normal, rock, and steel got boosted by a pokemon's attack stat while special types like water and electric got boosted by the special attack stat.

In this generation, each attack not only has a type, but a category as well (physical and special). Let's have an example, Spark is electric and in previous generations it would get boosted by the special attack stat. Now, spark has its own category of being a physical attack while still being electric.

Which stat effects what types? Could someone unravel this for me?

Thanks

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Hi guys, I'm not really a competitive battler. I just play for fun, but something about this new generation kinda puzzled me. It's about the physical and special types. In previous generations, physical types like normal, rock, and steel got boosted by a pokemon's attack stat while special types like water and electric got boosted by the special attack stat.

In this generation, each attack not only has a type, but a category as well (physical and special). Let's have an example, Spark is electric and in previous generations it would get boosted by the special attack stat. Now, spark has its own category of being a physical attack while still being electric.

Thanks

The actual attack types are no longer relevant as far as determining which stats affect which attacks. In Diamond, Pearl, and the upcoming Platinum, the stats that affect an attack are based solely on whether that attack is registered as Physical or Special, which can be noted by looking at that attack in a Pokemon's menu screen.

Of course, Special attacks are affected by the Special stats, and Physical stats are affected by the Physical stats.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    It doesn't matter about type, any more. the attacks under the category of 'Physical' use the Attack power of a Pokemon, while the attacks under the category of 'Special' use the Special Attack power of a Pokemon. For example, a Vaporeon using Shadow Ball would do more damage in Generation IV than it did in Generation III, II or I. Because if I remember correctly, the Ghost type was classed as a Physical type in the past Generations. In Generation IV, Shadow Ball is classed as a 'Special'-based attack, and thus, would use Vaporeon's Special Attack stat, rather than its Attack stat.
    That's at least my understanding on the whole thing. Before Diamond/Pearl, I didn't really care about which was Physical and which was Special, lol... ^^;;

I hope this helps, and doesn't confuse you more... ^^;;

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013

Attack stat is what affects physical attacks. Physical attacks are marked by a little boulder-like orange symbol. Basically, if a Pokemon makes a physical move to harm the opponent (and usually, but not always, actually touches the opponent), it's usually physical. Elemental fangs, elemental punches, Earthquake, and so on.

If a Pokemon summons up some type of "energy", it's a special attack. Special Attack is what affects these. They have a dark blue sign on their descriptions. Ice Beam/Blizzard, Thunderbolt, Energy Ball, Flamethrower are examples of special attacks.

So Psycho Cut on Alakazam won't be causing a lot of damage. It's a physical attack, and Alakazam's physical attack stat really sucks. But his special attacks like Psychic and Shadow Ball will cause a lot of damage.

EDIT: When I started playing D/P, I had to have someone explain this to me too. And I didn't even know what the physical/special split was while playing Gen 3. So it made it easier to understand.

shayminfan12345

a SHAYMIN FAN
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2010
    NOOB question...

Whats the difference special attack and attack...... is attack for physical moves like fighting moves... and special attack is for like move like physcic correct??

Fed

Battling on Wi-Fi.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2010
    Attack is for physical attacks (attacks that touch you. e.g. Scratch, tackle, fire punch) Special attack is for well... Special, nonphysical attacks (attacks that are by indirect touch. e.g. Fire blast, thunderbolt, psychic)

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 17, 2012
    Can Slaking use moves such as dig, which take 2 turns to activate?

It can't learn dig, but there are a few multi-turn moves it can learn, such as Solar Beam and Hyper Beam. (Which will still work as normal, even with Slaking's ability.)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back