• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Did adding infinite TMs make things OP?

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Maybe this is just me, but I always planned my teams so that no one move would dominate throughout. Indeed, I'd always try to get a variety of types and have at least one attacking move of every type in the game on my team at some point. So I love the fact that TMs are now reusable, as if I replace my main Electric critter with another, I don't need to worry about if the new one can learn Thunderbolt via levelling up, as it'll definitely be able to via TM! That takes out a looooooot of the hassle of team formation for me, so I really hope that this stays in place in Gen VI and beyond.

Haseyo

쏘쿨
    Years
    I can't possibly think on how a single TM is overpowered. Please tell me which one is so insane that for some reason everyone on your team is able to learn it and can completely change the game.

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
    Years
    I love having infinite TMs. It makes a lot of sense, and whenever I try to play a game without it I find myself missing it. I think it was a good decision and I hope it stays.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
    I don't really agree with infinite TM's but I think you should get a maximum of 10 for each move. I think that's fair and not cheap at all. Infinite is cheap IMO.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Kinda yeah, it used to be a challenge getting something like Flamethrower, Thunderbolt or Ice Beam and even then, it would only be one but now, once you've got it, it's permanent. You could easily teach a lower levelled Pokémon some strong TM moves.

Haseyo

쏘쿨
    Years
    Kinda yeah, it used to be a challenge getting something like Flamethrower, Thunderbolt or Ice Beam and even then, it would only be one but now, once you've got it, it's permanent. You could easily teach a lower levelled Pokémon some strong TM moves.

You realize you don't get these TMs until either post-E4 or at least until the 7th badge, right? At that point, it's tedious to have to somehow obtain Flamethrower for your lower leveled Pokemon.

Still not broken in the least bit.

In B2/W2, Pokemon learn moves MUCH earlier than they previously did. Espeon learns Psychic at Lv37. I know this because I have one. Gamefreak realizes their mistake in the past, and fixed both TMs and movesets.

If you still disagree, give me another TM that's broken.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    imo it isn't really overpowered but rather more balanced. I really like that you can do that without having to waste TMs or realise too late so it does make the gameplay as far as battling is concerned actually easier.

I also liked that there was a girl in-game who told you about it specifically too. :3

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    In B2/W2, Pokemon learn moves MUCH earlier than they previously did. Espeon learns Psychic at Lv37. I know this because I have one. Gamefreak realizes their mistake in the past, and fixed both TMs and movesets.
    And if that's not good enough for anyone, I just hatched a Gothita (obviously Level 1) that already knows Psybeam and Psychic.

The latter is a Level 37 move.

We won't even mention that I breeded with an Elgyem that knows Miracle Eye, meaning it can now whup Purrloins along Route 3 using an extra turn.

Cyclone

Years
    I liked the concept of infinite TM's but I didn't think they made your Pokemon overpowered.

Some good ones can't be obtained until later in the game, which gives you at least a bit of a challenge.

Infinite TM's should definitely stay in future games cos it made life so much easier for me.

Last edited:
    Years
    I think it would have been nice if you could have earned the ability to reuse TMs after beating a gym leader or all the gym leaders. I didn't do this but I could see people teaching moves that are super effective against a gym leaders type to all their pokemon and makeing gym battles too easy.
    Other than that I love being able to reuse TMs. Some times you make a team and find out it wasn't as good once you battle tested it as it looked on paper. Or if you want to use some of the same moves on your singles team as you did on your double team. It makes all that far less annoying.

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
    Years
    It is not OP. We should realize that there is around 646 Pokemon now. It would have been OP if it was in the 2nd or maybe 3rd generation. I just think that Game Freak realized that there are so many Pokemon now and that having one Psychic to teach to the whole line of Psychic Pokemon Family would be failure. Or what a feel would have been a better alternative was to create a NON-Battle Tower shop (Battle Tower was mean with those BP points, not worth it for a single TM) where players would be able to buy expensive TMs.

Last edited:

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
    What? TMs were infinite in Gen V? I must be living under a rock. I never realized that since I never used them for story. I was saving them for post game when I build a new team. Oh well..

I don't think it's OP. On contrary, it was a good decision to add it. Just having one TM makes you save it for the right Pokemon, or you end up never using them (like me). And why would anyone teach his whole team the same move? Even if it was a good thing I'd never do that. The whole game would be boring if all your Pokemon spam the same move the whole game.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    What? TMs were infinite in Gen V? I must be living under a rock. I never realized that since I never used them for story. I was saving them for post game when I build a new team. Oh well..

I don't think it's OP. On contrary, it was a good decision to add it. Just having one TM makes you save it for the right Pokemon, or you end up never using them (like me). And why would anyone teach his whole team the same move? Even if it was a good thing I'd never do that. The whole game would be boring if all your Pokemon spam the same move the whole game.
    You'll see after the E4 that Bianca taught "Return" to her entire team. She has a good relationship with her Pokémon, so the move has got to be strong.

NEway, I tend to keep the Pokémon "pure"; that is, use them as they came. I will explore with TMs if I want to breed a specific move onto a Pokémon (since TMs get passed along, I'm sure with exceptions where a Pokémon can't learn the TM but who knows), but otherwise, I don't worry about them too much. HMs on the other hand you have to use (Strength, Cut, Fly, and definitely Surf, though most of these areas are optional or in the eastern regions).

Cyclone

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    Can't believe people are even arguing this!

I love infinite TMs. In the past I never even used them because they broke after one use. This is one of the best ideas Game Freak had for Gen V IMO.

Now if Game Freak only made evolution items infinite or buyable...

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2013
    I think infinite TMs are awesome. I'm an old gen player and i don't know much about new movesets so it's good to be able to experiment without worring about wasting TMs.

Cerberus are you saying there are no stones on sale? :O how am i supposed to evolve all my little monkeys? xD

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
    Infinite use of TMs annoyed me at first, but I've accepted it now (and it is convenient).

I think what annoyed me the most was that it was a contributing factor in Game Freak making the games way easier than they should be. I enjoyed playing White, but it was waaayyy too easy, something I'm hoping B2W2 isn't (especially with challenge mode and the PWT).

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Infinite use of TMs annoyed me at first, but I've accepted it now (and it is convenient).

I think what annoyed me the most was that it was a contributing factor in Game Freak making the games way easier than they should be. I enjoyed playing White, but it was waaayyy too easy, something I'm hoping B2W2 isn't (especially with challenge mode and the PWT).
    I still disagree. Without a good grasp of the breeding mechanics, using TMs is the only way to teach a move. Any TM moves known by the male, er, mate will be passed down in any case, but given how Egg groups work, there is still a limitation about the idea of assigning the TM move to one Egg group. It would take a lot of cross-breeding between types (where one Pokémon is two types) to get the exact move on just two Pokémon. This makes it easier to give the same TM move to the same two Pokémon as you only have to have one to assign it, and you're not left wondering later whether you already collected it.

Truthfully, I hated this in older gens. With only one of certain TMs in existance, you could not simply rebuy any later to teach to a second Pokémon. If they were all available for purchase in some way, it wouldn't matter. But they're not. And thus, it ruins the TM thing for me. I've already decided if I do a hack the TMs will be available in various locations around my region, some as free pickups but pretty much all (in terms of the ones used in my game) as purchasable items. I believe the single-TM existence helped lead (not by itself, mind) to the idea of cloning by handing a TM to someone and cloning that someone to end up with two TMs.

Cyclone

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
    I still disagree. Without a good grasp of the breeding mechanics, using TMs is the only way to teach a move. Any TM moves known by the male, er, mate will be passed down in any case, but given how Egg groups work, there is still a limitation about the idea of assigning the TM move to one Egg group. It would take a lot of cross-breeding between types (where one Pokémon is two types) to get the exact move on just two Pokémon. This makes it easier to give the same TM move to the same two Pokémon as you only have to have one to assign it, and you're not left wondering later whether you already collected it.
    That's exactly my point though. Game Freak is making the games way too easy. Cross breeding of certain Pokemon to acquire certain moves makes the effort put in more worthwhile/brings a greater feel of accomplishment.

Back