• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Did adding infinite TMs make things OP?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    That's exactly my point though. Game Freak is making the games way too easy. Cross breeding of certain Pokemon to acquire certain moves makes the effort put in more worthwhile/brings a greater feel of accomplishment.
    Not for me. I just don't use the TMs because there might be a better time to use it, not to mention I'm removing one of my Pokémon's natural moves. Then I get to the E4. And believe it or not, I still didn't use the TMs. I intended to give my starter a better fighting move, but then didn't use it in the E4 battles. I might have used one and I can't remember which it is.

Perhaps Gamefreak realized people weren't using them for this type of reason and decided infinity was the future? I actually LIKE infinity better; you can use it once and know if you screwed up you can delete the move from that Pokémon, later teaching it to someone else. If you want to stick with the once-only thing, then literally use it once and never look at it again. No one says you have to use a TM twice.

My TM usage in the game in Unova will strictly be for breeding.

Cyclone

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    I think what annoyed me the most was that it was a contributing factor in Game Freak making the games way easier than they should be. I enjoyed playing White, but it was waaayyy too easy, something I'm hoping B2W2 isn't (especially with challenge mode and the PWT).

It's easy because of poor Pokémon choice. I'm on the sixth gym. Lenora was the hardest gym leader for me, because Watchog at early levels is good enough and learns dangerous moves. But the other gyms are easy because they gave the leaders poor Pokémon or moves. Chili/Cilan/Cress can be handled with the elemental monkey, Burgh's Leavanny can be OHKOed by a Fire or Flying move, Electric gyms are generally easy, and Clay's Excadrill doesn't even have Dig as a Ground move. I'm not there yet but I imagine the only really hard gym will be the Dragon gym because, well, dragons are usually hard anyway.

The level curve is also a bit problematic since all of my Pokémon are 2-3 levels higher than the gyms and there's Audino and Lucky Egg to further help with grinding. If you know a good spot for Audino hunting you can reach very high levels very early, which makes the game too easy. Although, I can't really complain since I love Audino hunting and hope we can do it in B2W2.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    It's easy because of poor Pokémon choice. I'm on the sixth gym. Lenora was the hardest gym leader for me, because Watchog at early levels is good enough and learns dangerous moves. But the other gyms are easy because they gave the leaders poor Pokémon or moves. Chili/Cilan/Cress can be handled with the elemental monkey, Burgh's Leavanny can be OHKOed by a Fire or Flying move, Electric gyms are generally easy, and Clay's Excadrill doesn't even have Dig as a Ground move. I'm not there yet but I imagine the only really hard gym will be the Dragon gym because, well, dragons are usually hard anyway.

The level curve is also a bit problematic since all of my Pokémon are 2-3 levels higher than the gyms and there's Audino and Lucky Egg to further help with grinding. If you know a good spot for Audino hunting you can reach very high levels very early, which makes the game too easy. Although, I can't really complain since I love Audino hunting and hope we can do it in B2W2.
    I sent you a VM about your first paragraph.

As for Audino grinding, yes, it's in B2/W2 as well. I saw a video that had some shaking grass in one of the new areas, and out popped a Lv.10 Audino. I'm sorta happy to see them back because they give good experience. Believe it or not, as I type, my current grinding spot is on Route 11 between the waterfall and the grass; at the very top of the path, cycle back and forth with only the six tufts of grass visible (others below are blocked by a fence and you have to go through these six, so don't keep them visible). Occasionally, you get a ripple in the water, but more often you get shaking grass and an Audino at Lv.46 dropping at least 3,000 XP with the Lucky Egg even to a Pokémon in the high 50s. I'm currently trying to get some Pokémon to at least Lv.60 there while catching new Pokémon, then I will expand further and start hunting down Trainers. Kyurem will likely be my last stop, and I'll follow that up with hunting the Lv.55 Audinos in his area. Today, however, I seek Corsola at Undella Town's ripples with their 30% chances; only there and Route 13 produce them. I need to breed one with an Archen, sooooo...

However, this is going off-topic, so perhaps with the question answered I won't ramble any further...:)

Cyclone

Last edited:
    Years
    imo it isn't really overpowered but rather more balanced. I really like that you can do that without having to waste TMs or realise too late so it does make the gameplay as far as battling is concerned actually easier.

This. It's really nice, actually to have this option. Even though I don't competitively battle, I'm sure it's helpful when creating a team, and this option is super useful in nuzlockes as a tm isn't just...gone. Also, the gym leaders spam their favorite tm (in all generations) so why can't I? :D

And why are we talking about Audino hunting? :? (this rhetorical by the way lol)

Back