• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Did anyone beat the E4 and Champ with just one Pokemon?

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2014
Hmm... That sounds like what I liked to do when I was little. I didn't really want to waste my time training a Pokemon party that were immune to many types, I just focused on leveling up one Pokemon that could beat Lance. That was my Meganium. It's actually pretty weak, but if you keep grinding till it reaches a certain level Lance could be crushed pretty easily, considering you had stocked up on like 20 Potions... ^^;

So did anyone of you beat the Elite Four with just one Pokemon? Let's get posting!

Years
  • Age 34
  • She/Her, It/Its
  • Seen today
Often enough. Especially after finishing the game I've beaten the E4 using one Pokemon while training another one. After a while it's no big deal, since gen 2 E4 are the weakest of them all.

If you mean beating them the first time in a playthrough: might have happened, can't remember since it's been a long time ago. Might have been a Feraligatr...

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2014
Often enough. Especially after finishing the game I've beaten the E4 using one Pokemon while training another one. After a while it's no big deal, since gen 2 E4 are the weakest of them all.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you on the topic of the Gen 2 E4 being relatively weak, the battles before Lance could be ended quite quickly, though Lance may pose a bit of a problem. But feraligatr should be able to crush Lance fast because of its wide array of ice type moves... That being said, I personally feel that as the games get newer, the Leauge gets easier? Meh, I'm not really sure. :P

"Thou shall spam ice types against Lance to win."

Years
I LIVED by this method when I was younger. Yellow was the first Pokémon game I played, but Gold was the first one I finished because the League was so much lower in level. I would normally have a Typhlosion around level 60 upon entering the League, and after that I would breeze through Kanto, and normally be able to sweep Red with just the one as well.

It's the easiest way to go in the older-generation games, and it's easier when you're younger, too :P

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2014
Haha. Just look at my younger brother's storage Box in Leafgreen. He has a few Pidgeys, Rattatas and Caterpies and none of them are above level 10, and he's already halfway through the E4 with his Charizard at level 67.

This method works real well to beat the games, but if you play multiplayer with your friends it's easy to get beaten because your friends are bound to be around your level and if they have a well-balanced team, lights out. :p

And even after I think about all the disadvantages, I STILL use that method. XD

Years
I can't say as I ever played through the game only to face the Elite Four with a single Pokemon, but there've been plenty of times where just two or three Pokemon were my workhorses, and the others were just filler.

I'm fairly certain I did beat both the Elite Four and Lance with just my Meganium once, but it was after I'd already beaten them a few times, and Meganium was roughly level 85.

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2014
I can't say as I ever played through the game only to face the Elite Four with a single Pokemon, but there've been plenty of times where just two or three Pokemon were my workhorses, and the others were just filler.

My Typhlosion was level 100 back in my run on Silver so yeah there was lots of carnage when fighting the E4.

Yeah Brendino, fillers sometimes help too, just in case your Pokemon faints because of perish song or destiny bond or something, the fillers can stall you time while you use the max revive to revive back your fainted Pokemon.

Xulek. Wow. A level 100 typhlosion fighting the E4 would be awesome.. :p I could sit there and keep pressing the A button without even looking at the screen if I had one, but I don't... XD

WooliestSteam

A Little Wooly Piece of Steam
Years
Yep, I beat the Elite 4 with just my Feraligatr.

Throughout the whole, he was my go to Pokemon. I barley used anyone else. So he was pretty powerful when the Elite 4 came around.

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2014
Yep, I beat the Elite 4 with just my Feraligatr.

Throughout the whole, he was my go to Pokemon. I barley used anyone else. So he was pretty powerful when the Elite 4 came around.

Wow, Feraligatr seems to be a favorite around here. What game were you playing and what was Feraligatr's level? I'm pretty curious, lol. :P

I think I did it once using my Flareon which I evoled from the Eevee that Bill gives you in Goldenrod City.

Wow, that must have been quite tough, having not to use your starter. Nonetheless, Flareon is pretty awesome in its own right, and it looks cool too. Wow, that must have been quite a bit of effort to overcome Lance's Garydos, but I guess grinding did the trick, eh? xD

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 23, 2013
I know this is for the wrong game, but I beat the elite four in red with just mew. Then went back and beat them with just mewtwo.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I've done this challenge in every game, and it was a tough one, for all three of these games, I've used my starter Feraligatr for everyone of these and all three of them were at level 100.

:t354:TG

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
If you're talking about going through the E4 with just one Pokemon, then nope! Never done that past the first generation, since I've always been too lazy to train my Pokemon up to an appropriate level for it to take on the E4 alone, as well as giving them a diverse enough moveset for them to actually be able to take on the E4 alone. So yeah, no chance of that happening anytime soon ;p The only time I've ever done that was in the first generation, but I shared my Blue version with my brother who pretty much did all the work in training the Pokemon and teaching them the right moves, so not really much of an achievement :p

If you're talking about just taking the champion out with one Pokemon, then sure! Lance was one of the easier champions, with his Dragon mono-type team, so one Ice type Pokemon could do the job easily. And it did :)

Years
  • Age 31
  • they/them
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I'm pretty sure that I did back when I first played Pokemon. I only trained my Feraligatr so eventually I was able to sweep the whole Elite Four + Champion with just him. I haven't done it since that time because eventually I learned that it's a good idea to have a balanced team with you.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
Hah, memories. I did this with both my Nidoking and my Mewtwo. My Nidoking sure does get around.

tumblr_mmw5e9OXuF1qedtzeo1_500.png

✯Shigeru✯

I Dropped The Lift Key...
Years
I've done it once with an Alakazam. I think I taught it the three elemental punches and Psychic which made most of the E4 easy except Karen of course. The only things that made her difficult were her Umbreon and Houndoom.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Nope, never in gen I or II. I'm not a fan of soloing things, honestly. :( I don't like having any less than 6 Pokemon. I like my teams full.

Back