• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Did anyone else chuck their starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxicroak

Mustard
Years
  • i ditched typhlosion as soon as i got to Kanto.

now i train with my Celebi.

My friends ditched his starter after he got Eevee from bill, but, unfortunately his DS and all his games were stolen today :(

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I don't really like fire, water, or grass types either way. So I have my four pokemon that I've been dutifully raising: Crobat, Pidgeot, Flareon, and Cloyster.
    Pssssssst Your Flareon is a Fire-type. :P

I typically keep my starter, especially if I choose Mudkip, but quite often I will choose the Grass-type starter so my rival picks the crappy Fire-type which makes the in-game that much easier.

As for SS, I have kept my starter (Croconaw), but since HGSS starters are so lame I replaced it with Quagsire and now use it as an HM slave. Feraligatr learns 7 of the 8 HMs, so that will come in handy.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2011
    I'm saving my soul silver game until easter holidays when i am at my grandmas and therefore bored, but when I play I will drop my starter as well. For fire I will take Ninetales, for grass I will take Vileplume and for water I will take Lanturn. My level 100 Bulbasaur is the only starter I've ever kept, as it's one of my favourite pokemon.

Sire

Making Flareon Own You
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    Planning to drop my Meganium soon. Doesn't really help much and I'd rather have some other pokemon then it. :/

tangvor

Pokemon FTW
    Years
  • The only game I did that on was Diamond
    I trained torterra to the point where it learned leaf storm and my roselia good egg learn that and giga drain
    Then I trashed it because all the starters were pretty bad other than Empoleon.
    This game I'm keeping my typhlosion currently level 63

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2010
    I don't really like my Typhlosion but I'll keep at it trainin' him anyway xD
    Didn't raise any pokemon very well on this game so far, beat e4 and red but all my pokemon are still under level 70 xD
    Gonna trade over some pokemon from platinum soon but won't use 'em just like to have 'em in my pc :P

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
  • I've not yet ditched my starter unless I'm training a new team. Especially this time since I was very happy to get a Modest Chikorita. It's been great, so far. :D

Boisly

What's the point?
    Years
  • I've actually only done this once, in emerald or something.
    i ditched my mudkip for some reason.
    and idk it just seems weird ditching a starter.
    its kinda like you HAVE to have it.

Omega94

Experienced Swimmer
    Years
  • On my next play-through I am going to ditch my starter for a Hoppip, dead serious. It makes the game much more interesting and challenging. I plan to also include Slowking, Gligar and a few others in my team.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • I almost never abandon my starters. I like them too much. lol.
    I love my Chikorita. Years ago I had a level 100 Meganium on my Gold Version and I am going to do that again on my new SS. On HG I am going to raise a level 100 Typhlosion. I dislike Totodile so. lol.

.тαмєя

Typloshion Lover :D
    Years
    • Age 26
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 9, 2010
    Dislike Totodile *Evil Eyes* ...
    Why chuck your starter it the main pokemon in the game!
    Especially when its shiny *Smiles*

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    I never do that. Honestly, I love all starters in all regions, so I don't like abandoning them. I think it's just a waste of space if you get a free Pokémon and don't use it.

Especially because you can't get another one of that Pokémon in regular gameplay.
    I have never done it either I just love my starters way too much :)

Years
  • For me, I always transfer my strong party (the one in my sig) to whichever game I play. If I do multiple games, I usually duplicate them.

Sudeki

Can you feel it?
    Years
  • For me, I always transfer my strong party (the one in my sig) to whichever game I play. If I do multiple games, I usually duplicate them.
    I only do that once I've beaten the game, why transfer over a powerhouse team to beat the game with? Waste of time for me.

But yeah I ditched my starter along time ago, the only "starter" I use is my Swampert, and thats for SR set/lead.
    But my original starter is like lvl 10, Although I don't even know what was my original since the only starter im missing in my PC is Chimchar.

SpawnHyuuga

Elite Four Spawn
    Years
  • I've chucked my starter one time in Pokemon history. It was EVERYTIME I play/restart Pokemon Yellow - because I hate Pikachu it sucks because you have Brock to face. I pick up a Nidoran (M) teach it double kick, start hoarding TM's then start evolving. Easy Level 56+ Nidoking to beat the E4. But in HG/SS, I plan on getting Cyndaquil again because its adorable and then bad@$$ as a Typhlosion.

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2010
    i keep my starters but since i have heartgold and soulsilver i trade all three starters to soulsilver then i end up sending them back and forth between games to train them to make one great team

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back