• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Did anyone else chuck their starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2010
    I've always kept my starter in the past. IDK, I just feel weird, just ditching my starter and going with a different Pokemon. Soul Silver included, especially since my starter is one of my top favorite pokemon of all time, Totodile.

IDK. Maybe sometime in the future I'll chuck my starter. Not now, though. And I don't battle competitively, or else perhaps I would be more open to doing so.
    Totodile was one of my fav's as well!

But yea i couldn't imagine ever ditching my starter pokemon, even now, im in kanto in SS and me and my feraligatr are still kickin

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    I only stop using my Starter after I beat the game, and I only do that sometimes. Meganium is awesome.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • i have on my heartgold, i want to attempt the game with mostly ghost and dark types.

Last edited:

Nero_

Flygon Flock!~
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2010
    I use my starter for a majority of the game, and my team usually includes a starter.

.Occam

Ontological parsimony?
    Years
  • Until recently I didn't box my starter. With the exception of Platinum I've always gone with the fire starters because that type is fairly rare until late in the game. Playing through HG however I'm seriously considering leaving Quilava in the dust. I have everything that fire is super effective against already covered by two or three other pokemon but am vulnerable to Ghost and Psychic types. Hell I only scraped past Morty because of Crobat's bite, which won't help once I hit the E4.

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    Leaving my starter is probably the last thing I'll ever do in a Pokemon game. I always use my starter and they're always my best Pokemon. Heck, I never put it in the PC unless it's for something important (like for the Pokewalker).

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • i did something different in HG,
    i ditched my cyndaquil and traded in my fave pokemon from my pearl :P (all low levelled) and a bibarel (HM Slave) :P

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2012
    I originally planned to ditch mine for a Poliwag, but after naming I just couldn't help keeping my chikorita. During my second or third play through, I usually send them straight to the PC

Buh

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2014
    I can't even remember which starter I picked - I immediately traded it to my friend and haven't seen it since.
    I have, however, traded over Charmander, Mudkip and Turtwig and used them as my starters.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • I've found someone just like me!
    I've never liked the idea of the starter pokemon. They're like legendaries yet a lot of people are openly against using them. You can't catch them in the wild but you can with all the other pokemon, what makes them so special? Its just like using legendaries except you get stuck with one. Since around the original silver/gold i always ditched my starters, mainly because i played using all of them and found nothing too special about them that i couldn't substitute with another pokemon of the same type (magmar > typhlosion, lapras > feraligtr, victrebel > meganium).

Though I love how the starters have evolved over the years. In the first generations they were all kinda sluggish but big. Now they're well diversed.

Years
  • I originally planned to ditch mine for a Poliwag

This is exactly what I did. I love Cyndaquil to death, but ever since Pokémon Special, it's so hard to imagine Silver without a Totodile.. Poor Cyndaquil was the one who had to be tossed (lol) because I planned on going through the game with a Poliwag as my starter. I caught three randoms (Rattata, Pidgey, HootHoot, most likely), and traded over my pre-bred eggs from Platinum. I hatched them, took them North from Cherrygrove, then when they were all three level 5 or so, boxed Cyndaquil and called it good. Oddish, Gligar, and Poliwag served as the three core members of my team for awhile.

I now have my Politoed, which worked out awesomely as a starter Pokémon. I couldn't think of anything more perfect in a Pokémon game than running through Johto with a Poliwag/whirl/toed at my side.

(Come to think of it, I did the same thing in Platinum, only with all six Pokémon bred to give me a full-on Psychic team.. that wasn't as hard because, well.. the Sinnoh starters are incredibly painful for me to look at.. I'd have preferred an add-on on the DS that sprayed onion juice in your eye when the starters were sent out over having to actually see them..)

Years
  • I train all my Pokemon in my team to around the same level, but I found that on mine, even though my Quilava is a level higher than the rest I don't use it.
    So yeah, it's still on my team, but I kind of use it as a last resort in battles.

IllusioNzz

Hardstyle is my Style
    Years
  • I usually keep my starter until I have a better pokémon to replace it with. For example, if I had a party of 6 and I had the chance to replace my Typhlosion with a Lucario, I would. :)

Years
  • Call me weird, but no. I don't ditch my starter because it's there to help you. I get too attached to my pixels... I always keep my starter no matter what. <3

I'm the same. ^_^ Sometimes I focus a little too much on my starter, and train it more than the rest of my team, and end up only having one decent pokemon. xD (And thus, having loads of trouble with the elite four.)

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2023
    i chucked my starter. i started my adventure with my trusty Murkrow ^^
    i don't really like the Jhoto starters tbh.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back