• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Did you use the Exp share?

What did you do?

• I shut it off

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • I kept it on

Votes: 89 65.4%
  • I turned it back on after the e4

Votes: 12 8.8%

• Total voters

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I can't answer to any of the above... the only time I use the Exp Share is just before a gym/Pokemon League. I'm currently in Rustboro and I have the Exp Share on at this time, but will turn it off after I beat Roxanne. Same thing for the next 7 gyms.

classicpaul64

PokeTuber
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2016
    I only used it during my recording sessions. It helps me not have to worry about offscreen grinding, but I didn't use it during my serious runthrough. :)

Years
  • I've mainly left it on but I sometimes turn it off when I had something low-leveled that needed to catch up with the rest of my team.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2015
    I kept it off from when I got it, in all honesty. I'm old fashioned and stubborn and wanted to play the game the way I've been playing them all for years; alternating Pokemon until they gain a level, then bringing another one to the front to battle with, etc. Rotating through all of them.

Alumens

Dreamer
    Years
  • It depends on the situation. I mostly use it on early levels to give me a little of advantage and I turn it off on Gym Battles or when i noticed I am becoming a little over leveled. I normally play with my Team 2 or 3 levels higher than the rest of the trainer in a specific area

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2016
    As a player with limited time to play YES I keep that baby on unless its a Gym battle or one of my mons is about to hit level cap (currently beyond 40)

TheUnit684

Heedrim
    Years
  • Really I think the new Exp. Share is a great tool and Key Item...but it doesn't fit my playstyle. My first playthrough of Y I left it on and my Pokemon were extremely overleveled in the Pokemon League (My Pangoro and Tyrantrum were both in the 80s, and the rest of my party was spread between the 60s and 70s). I think the Exp. Share is useful for a playthrough where you are constantly swapping out your team members, making new parties every few cities because of all the available Pokemon. But if you are using one main party throughout the entire game, I think it makes the game way too easy.

But, now that I've beaten the actual storyline, I did turn it back on. It's very useful for training up multiple Pokemon, like I said, especially thanks to the new EXP system.

While I do miss the old Exp Share, I don't mind this one too much, as long as I am always able to turn it off. :)

The option I chose in the poll was "I turned it back on after the e4"

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2022
    I kept it on in OR and my Sceptile made it to level 70 by the time I hit Steven. I tried turning it off playing through AS and I found it just a bit harder. Required some grinding and rematches in Victory Road but nothing too different. If I recall correctly my highest leveled Pokemon in AS was around 68 when I beat Steven.

I love it for raising Pokemon in the post-game tho.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
    Years
  • I enjoyed having it. It makes it so much easier to level up pokemon when I constantly am switching them out. I had a whole box full of pokemon that I ended up using throughout the game and I never really needed to go and grind. If I wanted a challenge anytime in the game, I would just go and get my lower leveled pokemon and use them until they caught up with everything. xD It also makes leveling freshly bred pokemon a lot faster. It's more handy than the past Exp. Share.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I used it due to me being overly careful when planning for gyms and before I knew it, I had a team of level 80s before I even beat Winona.

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
    Years
  • Though I can easily see why one would shut it off, I myself used the exp. Share throughout the journey. The way I handle my Pokémon unlike many others, is that I like to keep every Pokémon on my team the exact same level, ideal for equal strength when in need of the required type. With the exp. share, this can be a problem at times. In conclusion, I'm more in the middle of usage with the share. Most of the time I have it on, but when I feel like a member of my team is slightly under powered compared to the others, I shut it down.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • Shut it off before surfing to Mossdeep from Lilycove. I figured I was too overleveled for the trainers in the area and I wanted a bit more of a challenge.

Stroker Ace

YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE, BUTTHORN
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2018
    The only times I would actually turn it off was when I wanted to balance my team, like letting my level 30 Pelipper catch up to his level 50-something teammates.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • That is the main reason why I turned it off. Levelling isn't really level at all between the Pokemon of your teams. It just makes your lead Pokemon enlarge the gap bigger and bigger.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • I kept it on. I like my team to all be around the same level, and with some Pokémon receiving exp boosts (being from other games, or mystery gift - shiny Beldum) it just made things easier. My team were mostly the same level, and it made sure that a Pokémon wasn't left out in gyms that a Pokémon may have been disadvantaged in (Ninjask in Flannery's gym for example).

Years
  • I turned it off right when I got it because I knew from Pokemon X that having it enabled would boost my team so bad that I would probably find myself defeating most of my enemies with just one hit. I found my run on Pokemon X too easy since there were simply no difficulties. My team were constantly more than 10 levels above the average enemy's level. I wanted that to be different in Alpha Sapphire so I turned it off.

However, after the E4 I turned it on again because some of my pokemon still hadn't learned moves that I wanted them to know and besides that my team were suddenly under the average enemy's level.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • I only used it occasionally. I tried to keep my team around the same level, but then Altaria would battle more and gain two levels or so and that would mean I'd have to turn it off and train the rest of them. But I think I kept it on for at least most Gyms and E4+Steven.

Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2017
    Well I kept it on since I got it because I didn't have much time to train my team. However, my team was around level 55-65 when I faced the E4 for the first time.
    Personally, I didn't find it that easy with the EXP share on.

Back