• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Did you want a Remake or a Brand New Game? (Edit: Confirmed as remakes!)

What did you want Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire to be?

• Total voters

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
  • I think they'll be sequels to Ruby and Sapphire.

I hope they'll be sequels to Ruby and Sapphire that feature a second unexplored region with a whole new set of gyms and towns, akin to Gold/Silver/Crystal where you can backtrack to Kanto. There's still that one guy in X and Y who says he's from a seventh region who gives you a weird item. I think there's going to be a seventh region involved in this generation one way or another.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Don't think they'd piss off the community to the point where we wouldn't get to roam around Hoenn. I agree that it'll probably be Hoenn but look different than the original, along with a new story. Them being sequels to X&Y would be interesting. I wonder how they'd connect them? I think it's more likely that they'll be straight up sequels to the original games though.

While I wouldn't hold too much meaning behind the words they used in the advertisement, GameFreak have shown that they're definitely willing to try and break the mold in the past few games.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2015
    Well.... I'm unsure... but on the Zygarde note, it says it quietly sits back and watches for those who destroy the ecosystem! And remember, Team Aqua and Magma are destroying the ecosystem by making more Water/Land. So that's my theory on the whole Zygarde thing.

Troock

Whatever Forever
    Years
  • I think the "new world" is just Hoenn with X&Y graphics, which I'm totally fine with. I think it would be weird if they made a sequel instead of a remake when the remake has been expected for so long. Also, if they wanted to make a sequel, it would've been more likely for them to make a sequel of X&Y.

~Justified~

~Working On A New Rom Hack~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2015
    All the ideas here are awesome but extremely doubtful. Even HG/SS Said "New Adventure". It was just a gold/silver remake with crystal features. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire will most likely just be remakes with some added features. The box art can easily be explained by mega evolutions.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I'm guessing they're going for a more B2W2 approach on it all. Whether it'll be a sequel set in the future or prequel set in the past, I believe it's gonna take place in Hoenn during a different time frame from the originals. I honestly don't think they're gonna risk not making the main region of the game Hoenn, since that's what fans have been begging for for years :p

"A spectacular new world" could suggest a new region, but I'm more inclined to believe that it's just Hoenn that's been reshaped through Groudon/Kyogre, which could suggest that the versions would have different layouts :o Since the original Hoenn already was about half land half water, which could mean each version would have one of the two dominate the layout.

The promise of a new adventure definitely suggests that they're gonna be different from the originals though. Perhaps an alternate dimension?! :OO

I came to the same conclusion, it's possible they might try to appease fans who thought there was too much water and have some of the sea routes in Omega Ruby dried up while keeping Alpha Sapphire the same as the original. (or maybe even have more land flooded but that sounds a bit overkill....)

Monophobia

Already Dead
    Years
  • I'm hoping there's sprites here. Dramatically improved sprites, of course, but I'd still like the game to have a retro feel.

Did you want a Remake or a Brand New Game? (Edit: Confirmed as remakes!)

Something more or less like this would be amazing, and it could use models instead of textures to still make use of the 3DS's key feature. I'm not saying I don't like the way X/Y was presented, but I feel like that would be a better approach, especially since this is a sequel/remake.

The Doctor

What!?
    Years
  • I'm hoping there's sprites here. Dramatically improved sprites, of course, but I'd still like the game to have a retro feel.

Did you want a Remake or a Brand New Game? (Edit: Confirmed as remakes!)

Something more or less like this would be amazing, and it could use models instead of textures to still make use of the 3DS's key feature. I'm not saying I don't like the way X/Y was presented, but I feel like that would be a better approach, especially since this is a sequel/remake.

I don't like that style of gameplay, that looks too cartoony for me.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • With how Game Freak advertises , "New World" could mean anything. It could just mean a new island to explore along with Hoenn similar to the Sevii Islands. It could mean the same story as the originals , but with elements of Emeralds and just new features and slightly altered. I guess the best thing to do is wait for more new. Probably either in the next CoroCoro or E3.

DanZC

Pokemon Trainer Dan
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2018
    I'm going to make some assumptions that:
    • The games take place in Hoenn
    • The games will include some of the new features in Gen VI (character customization, fairy type, mega evolutions)
    • The games will take place roughly the same time as X and Y
    • The games will have the ability to trade/battle with X/Y
    • The games include new mega evolutions for Kyogre and Groudon
    If this is true, then it wouldn't make sense that this is a remake. X and Y take place after Gen V, which takes place after Gen II/IV. Knowing that Gen I/III takes place before Gen II/IV, remakes would screw with the timeline, unless they threw in time travel or changed Ruby and Sapphire's place in the timeline. This is mostly likely a sequel, if this does take place roughly the same time as X/Y.
    Then again, Black and White could communicate with Black 2 and White 2.
    And then again, there is no gameplay footage of this. It could be ANYTHING.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    We have next to nothing for info on these games atm, so I don't know what its going to be.
    However, I'd like it to be more than a copy-paste of the original R/S/E. That'd be a bit boring for me, especially since I can still play my Ruby. And for once it'd be really nice for Game Freak to make a Pokemon game with a really good story. Gen 5 and X/Y could've gone somewhere, but they totally dropped the ball on those.

Years
  • I voted for a remake... but I don't have a problem if it's a sequel... I just want to see Hoenn again! :P

Years
  • Imagine it is a Gen 4 sequel disguised as a Gen 3 remake!

In all seriousness I would be shocked if Coro Coro has nothing. I think it would have something like confirmation at least. So maybe next week we have info?

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I'm getting the impression it'll be a sequel. It should be noted that the concept of a sequel didn't exist back when Heart Gold and Soul Silver was coming out. A sequel is more likely to have been considered this time around since they had already created one in the previous gen.

At least based on the information we currently have (very little) it points to sequel a bit more.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    If anything, I'd say that tagline is marketed towards the kids who weren't born yet when RS originally came out.

Let's say that there's a 7 year old kid whose first Pokémon games were Black/White. To this kid, everything prior to (and after, to a lesser extent) Unova is a "new world". Same way Kanto and Johto were "new worlds" for the kids playing FRLG and HGSS who weren't born when Gen I/II came out.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • Groudon and Kyogre don't automatically mean Hoenn. These new games might take place in a completely different region, and still feature Groudon and Kyogre. It wouldn't be the first time that a legendary has appeared in a region where it's not originally from (Lati@s in Johto, Mewtwo in Kalos etc) .

Plus, don't forget the foreshadowing in X and Y, with the backpacker who explicitly stated he was from a region we would soon see, and it wasn't Hoenn.

I'm on the fence between "something new" (that just happens to involve Groudon and Kyogre) and "sequel" (set in a different region in the aftermath of Groudon and Kyogre's fight and whatever Team Aqua and Magma tried to accomplish).

Back