• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Different Names for Black and White?

Would you like to rename the Pokemon games?

• Yes

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 22 78.6%

• Total voters
Years
  • If you were the gamemakers for the Pokemon games, what else would you call the games without having to name them Black and White? For example, would you name them Fiery White and Light Black? Voice your opinion.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Going to move this to the BW section as it's specific to it, not to Pokemon in general.

Also I wouldn't have changed the names; I don't feel anything extra (Fiery and Light or whatnot) would really be necessary or add anything significant to the names.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I agree with bobandbill; I don't see much of a reason to change the names of Black/White; I think just Black/Whiet are enough for me IMO.

Years
  • Since BW is suppose to be a new beginning, I think the Black and White naming concept is based on the first pokemon main series games: Pokemon Red, Blue, Green and Yellow. They were all only colors. It was only their remake that got the Fire Red and Leaf Green name.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    As Samuel suggested, the remakes tend to get the extra word on them (Heart Gold and Soul Silver). The first version of any game is a single color, metal, or item. If Ruby and Sapphire ever get announced as remakes, who knows...we might see Ravishing Ruby and Stunning Sapphire. And while it won't happen, imagine an Emerald...Elegant Emerald.

Cyclone

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I would not have named them anything different. As pokemontrainer_samuel said, the return to the "color" theme is reflective of the throwback quality of the games. Any other titles that work thematically sound odd and foreign compared to other Pokemon titles ("Pokemon Truth" and "Pokemon Ideals" would definitely be laughed at, for example).

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Black and White are perfect for the two and their differences to the other games, I only really see fit on adding extra words for remakes hence FIRE Red or SOUL Silver.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • I don't know. Actually, that's a little strange not to be able to name the protagonists with the version's name, since Black is already Touya/Hilbert and White's Touko/Hilda. That's just a detail, but I'll have to get used to it. So, if I had to rename these games, it would be for Ivory and Ebony, just to match with the (I believe) actual new protagonist's name. Even if these names are meh. Anyway, I guess I prefer Black 2 and White 2, after all that's a sequel.

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2012
    I would like to still have them be opposite colors, just different colors though.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    You don't mean orange and purple, do you? I mean, it wouldn't fit a PokéRap; neither word rhymes with anything!

Cyclone

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I like the idea of Black and White just because they're simple, and supposed to be a "fresh" start similar to the newish feeling of the original games, even. Also at some point during the games I remember N saying something about the relationship of Pokemon and trainers being separated in "black and white" so I think the names make sense.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Agreed with those who have said the names are simplistic - however, on the other side, you could've named them Light and Dark, which would actually match the games pretty well, just like Black and White did! n_n

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Quartz is already a hack name of a very...uh...adult-minded (scripting-wise) edition of Pokémon. Hopefully that one is left unused by Nintendo, who surely knows about it (it's popular enough to be covered in the Bulbapedia article on hack games).

Cyclone

Years
  • I wouldn't rename the games. Black and White are just perfect and they have that ring to it.

And I agree with Lapras, the names are simple and the games are the definition of a "fresh start". They are pulling a Red/Blue/Yellow throwback there so they wanted to go back to the basics.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Obsidian (black), and Quartz (white)

Quartz is already a hack name of a very...uh...adult-minded (scripting-wise) edition of Pokémon. Hopefully that one is left unused by Nintendo, who surely knows about it (it's popular enough to be covered in the Bulbapedia article on hack games).

Cyclone

That plus Quartz makes me think more of a jewel rather than a game with deep themes like Black and White allowed. XD;

Also Obsidian... I wouldn't know it represented a colour at first :x

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I wouldn't change the names of Black and White. Black and White mark a well-needed (in my opinion) reboot of the series after Diamond and Pearl, which are supposed to be the sort of penultimate materials. It's returning to the basics, monochromatically. It's supposed to be like Red and Blue, but a fresh start, with more meaning.

Black is a darker color. You could say that black is a void. It's what is right in the world. In games with alignments, black stands for Chaos and cold, hard logic. Hard logic means doing what is right without caring for others or strangers. It's basically tough luck to make the world a better place. If you had to save the world in this way, you would do it to make it a better place in your own way, but not necessarily restore it. Black is deep and cold, and Zekrom represents this.

White is the opposite of Black and symbolizes vastness and law. White represents truth and warmth. It represents care. Though in Pokémon Black, N has Zekrom and vice versa, I tend to associate him with Reshiram, considering he is named "Natural", he is basically a warm, nice person who is kind and cares for others and Pokémon, but at the same time, he does not care if humans who mistreat them are inconvenienced, so he is a balance between them both, a "Gray" if you will. Basically Black and White are always in check with eachother.

Black and White also represent technology and nature respectively, which is shown in Black City and White forest. Technology makes the trainers more serious about Pokémon battling, while White makes it easier to catch Pokémon, giving you more free will.

To sum it up, I think the names are perfect for a reboot because they represent fundamentals.

Years
  • I wouldn't change the names of Black and White. Black and White mark a well-needed (in my opinion) reboot of the series after Diamond and Pearl, which are supposed to be the sort of penultimate materials. It's returning to the basics, monochromatically. It's supposed to be like Red and Blue, but a fresh start, with more meaning.

Black is a darker color. You could say that black is a void. It's what is right in the world. In games with alignments, black stands for Chaos and cold, hard logic. Hard logic means doing what is right without caring for others or strangers. It's basically tough luck to make the world a better place. If you had to save the world in this way, you would do it to make it a better place in your own way, but not necessarily restore it. Black is deep and cold, and Zekrom represents this.

White is the opposite of Black and symbolizes vastness and law. White represents truth and warmth. It represents care. Though in Pokémon Black, N has Zekrom and vice versa, I tend to associate him with Reshiram, considering he is named "Natural", he is basically a warm, nice person who is kind and cares for others and Pokémon, but at the same time, he does not care if humans who mistreat them are inconvenienced, so he is a balance between them both, a "Gray" if you will. Basically Black and White are always in check with eachother.

Black and White also represent technology and nature respectively, which is shown in Black City and White forest. Technology makes the trainers more serious about Pokémon battling, while White makes it easier to catch Pokémon, giving you more free will.

To sum it up, I think the names are perfect for a reboot because they represent fundamentals.
    Whoa, that's a nice write up there. Never thought of it that way before. Good one.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Black and White are perfect simplistic names for the game titles. If they were given a cheesy add on to the simple black and white, I don't think I would have liked that. HeartGold and SoulSilver were enough - and not to say that they are bad names, but I prefer simplicity.

On the other hand, does anyone remember the power of the red orb and blue orb in RSE? When Team Magma and Aqua complicated things by using the wrong orbs, a drought and rain storm occurred across some parts of Hoenn. I would have really loved if at some point in these games, something to do with Reshiram and Zekrom went wrong, and the whole Unova region turned black and white.

WolfricX

Water-Typer Master.
    Years
  • I think they are fine as they are, nice and simple. And the mascots (Reshiram and Zekrom) also represent the colors Black and White. SO this is perfect as it also goes back to the first games with simple names like Pokemon Red or Pokemon Jade.

Back