• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Difficulty Levels

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    Although I do want them to be a little bit stronger, I'm pretty sure there won't be changes to them other than perhaps a rematch at the Battle Frontier?

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    This is GameFreak here. They will most likely not being bumping up the difficulty for Brendan/May battles. I mean look at Silver in HG/SS. For his final battle, his highest level Pokemon is Lv. 60 and two of his Pokemon aren't even fully evolved yet. I have no reason to believe Brendan/May will get a better treatment. At the very least, we'll probably have more opportunities for battles against them.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    I think they'll give them what Barry got in Platinum: rival rematches after the main story's done. I really liked what they did with Barry after the game was done, and how his Pokemon grow to astronomical levels as they get scaled up the more frequently you battle him. Maybe they'll do that for Brendan/May, as well.

Years
    I'd definitely like to see them get one more battle with the final evolution of their starter + a more complete team. Perhaps just before challenging the 8th gym after the conclusion of the Team Aqua/Magma storyarc? I'd like Wally to still be the final encounter before the Pokemon League, so that seems most appropriate.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
    It is definite that your rival WILL be getting a mega bangle, so I think it's highly likely for your rival to battle you with possibly, a mega starter.

If that is indeed the case, your rival SHOULD have the final evolution starter. Perhaps it'll be battles with him/her plus rematches after Lilycove.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
    The first three Rival battles don't need to be touched, except they could throw in another battle in Granite Cave or something. Lilycove should be where the Rival has a fully-evolved Pokemon, even if this game goes the route of XY and is super-easy.

More on that difficulty, I wonder how they're going to remake one of the hardest games in the series to fit the "needs" of the younger, inexperienced fanbase? It's said that some Trainers from the original games are getting their teams reduced, and I don't think the Rival is an exception.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    The first three Rival battles don't need to be touched, except they could throw in another battle in Granite Cave or something. Lilycove should be where the Rival has a fully-evolved Pokemon, even if this game goes the route of XY and is super-easy.

More on that difficulty, I wonder how they're going to remake one of the hardest games in the series to fit the "needs" of the younger, inexperienced fanbase? It's said that some Trainers from the original games are getting their teams reduced, and I don't think the Rival is an exception.
    Rivals ought to have four, even five or six Pokémon towards the end. The Rival SHOULD be your toughest competition. That said, May was exceptionally hard on Route 10 in the original, so I can see that being toned down slightly or made easier; I'd take that for a tougher final battle in Victory Road's ending area.

Years
    The rival in RSE was a huge letdown. I mean, not even having their starter fully evolved was a pretty odd decision by Game Freak. They're supposed to be one of the most important characters of the game, and should actually be difficult to battle, even a little bit. Also, there needed to be a bout with them later on, after the Lilycove encounter. I'd like to see those changes made in ORAS!

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I really dislike the rivals who only want to fill the Pokedex. You don't really need a super-powerful team to fight someone whose goal doesn't involve battling (although I was never able to get past the rival on the first try underneath the Cycling Bridge, ahah) so they USUALLY aren't much of a challenge. I hope the rival decides to quit battling a little later in the storyline, so we get more of a challenge out of them!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I really dislike the rivals who only want to fill the Pokedex. You don't really need a super-powerful team to fight someone whose goal doesn't involve battling (although I was never able to get past the rival on the first try underneath the Cycling Bridge, ahah) so they USUALLY aren't much of a challenge. I hope the rival decides to quit battling a little later in the storyline, so we get more of a challenge out of them!

That cycling road battle was also the hardest one for me...that was their pinnacle as a challenging rival...it took me five times or so to defeat them...

I have a feeling they may leave it like RSE but have the rival battle us post game with the Mega stone for their starter (which will be a surprise as they took two large levels in power after their last match).

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
    That cycling road battle was also the hardest one for me...that was their pinnacle as a challenging rival...it took me five times or so to defeat them...

I have a feeling they may leave it like RSE but have the rival battle us post game with the Mega stone for their starter (which will be a surprise as they took two large levels in power after their last match).

More than likely, since this isn't COMPLETE remakes of RSE, the rival might have a similar diffuculty, although post-game, will become a bigger challenge. So maybe post-game battles with your rival, they'll have a mega version of the starter they pick(its almost certain). Imo, if they alter the diffuculty, i want them to be according to what type of trainer they are(ex. Preschoolers are least trained, Veterans are most trained)

And I REALLY REALLY REALLY want the diffuculty feature from BW2 to return. Just without the bs of finding a person with B2 to get hard mode ._. I had White 2, so i got easy mode.

Years

I so agree, it was really hard when I did that battle. Brendan pretty much slaughtered me on my first try there, but yeah that's when I learned I had to level grind if I were to stand a chance against that Grovyle of his (my starter was Mudkip) but I hope when I play the remake, I can easily prepare for it.

And while I'm one who doesn't use the Challenge/Easy Mode feature of B2/W2, I do hope they can bring it back for those players who want it, but maybe without the requirement of needing to connect to the other version locally.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    More than likely, since this isn't COMPLETE remakes of RSE, the rival might have a similar diffuculty, although post-game, will become a bigger challenge. So maybe post-game battles with your rival, they'll have a mega version of the starter they pick(its almost certain). Imo, if they alter the diffuculty, i want them to be according to what type of trainer they are(ex. Preschoolers are least trained, Veterans are most trained)

And I REALLY REALLY REALLY want the diffuculty feature from BW2 to return. Just without the bs of finding a person with B2 to get hard mode ._. I had White 2, so i got easy mode.

Maybe it will be another Mega, just like our rival had Mega Absol in Kiloude post game.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Well we had Mega Charizard, Venusaur and Blastoise and our rival had one of those pokemons if I remember. Our rival was the only way to get Absolite too.

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    Difficulty

If I recall correctly, Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald had a decent level of difficulty. X & Y has me worried that it'll all be dumbed down and we'll be overlevelled again. What do you think, will this game remain challenging? I don't want another X & Y sort of difficulty, it made the game less immersive.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    If it turns out that the Elite Four does indeed have Mega Pokémon, I'd say we can hopefully expect a difficulty at least similar to the originals.

I'm personally hoping for difficulty settings that you can select before the game starts, and change through the main Start menu. Some people want the games to be easier so they can finish them in a reasonable time, but some want it to be a good challenge. I think difficulty options would be the best compromise.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Some forget to return to Mr. Stone for the Exp. Share (if that's how we get it in these games again), so for some it'll be difficult. Perhaps I'll not even go back and pick it up until post game to make my journey difficult.

Back