• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Difficulty Levels

Years
    Back in RSE, the EXP Share was helpful, but not nearly as much as it was in X and Y. Therefore, I think far less people will end up forgetting to pick up the item in ORAS if the mechanic is kept the same. They may even alter the NPCs in Rustboro a bit so that you don't have to come back to receive it. I wouldn't mind; it does make the game less difficult, but there is an option to turn it off.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
    "New Player"
    "Familiar Player"
    "Veteran Player"
    "Death Wish"

Difficulties please :) Pokemon is way too easy in general. I hope they spice up the NPCs by using abilities and combos like Baton Pass, etc.

Years
    What I would give for Challenge Mode to return. I know I've stated it a billion times, but I love it as a feature and was very disappointed it didn't return to XY. That being said, it would be neat if it had an even more challenging mode for the masochistic/expert players. Could go something like this:

Easy Mode - For inexperienced players
    Normal Mode - For intermediate players/casual play
    Hard Mode - For people looking for a challenge
    Lunatic Mode - For crazy people/people who really want to challenge themselves
    Took the names from Touhou, ahaha.

re: Exp. Share, I've learned that having it off and not raising the Pokemon's affection to two (three?) hearts in Amie helps keep the Pokemon from becoming overleveled. If the entire Pokemon League does end up having Megas, I can see them being a challenge without the use of the aforementioned two, so it's possible I'll get my challenge even if Challenge Mode/whatever it ends up being doesn't return.

Years
    I don't think there will be difficulty levels. But if we do get one, here's what I want (based on Fire Emblem awakening):

Easy: For beginners. No challenge, dumb AI, lenient levelling curve. Virtually no need to battle every trainer to catch up on EXP. Also perfect for speedruns.
    Normal: Just like difficulty level of normal Pokemon games.
    Hard: For experienced players. Lots of challenge, smarter AI, more unforgiving level curve. Enemies also have more Pokemon. Expect to grind a fair bit. Basically Blaze Black and Volt White without the moveset/type changes, etc.
    Hard+: For masochistic players. Unlocked after beating the game on Hard mode. With even more unforgiving level curve. Enemy trainers' Pokemon all possess perfect IVs and often have impossible, cheap ability and move combinations to pray on unsuspecting gamers. Worst part is they're only exclusive to enemy trainers. If you want a taste of soul-crushing unfairness, this is the perfect mode for you.

Last edited:

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    Maybe they could have easy levels and XP in Easy, reduced XP and levels in Hard, and maybe lock the use of Exp Share, the Amie hearts thing, and ban the use of Mega Evolution for Lunatic?

ShiningHelioptile

Powered by Netflix
    Years
    That feature was much underutilized in BW2.

No matter how hard they make it, you can over-level any challenge. The only thing that would up the difficulty is Level Caps. Each Gym Badge would raise your cap. Traded Pokemon would be immune, but disobey when they out-level you.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought that they also added one Pokemon to each Gym Leader's team in Hard Mode. I've never played Hard Mode, though, because I have White 2 and I don't know anyone with B2.

Anyways, I would like it if they added the modes, but I would like it if they were accessible before you beat the game the first time. I mean, why would you play a game and then want to play it again...except easier?

Mega Venusaur

Muncher
    Years
    I hope that this feature is implemented into Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. It was fun to change how difficult or easy the game was in BW2 so it would be a shame if it wasn't.

NinjaLarvitar

rativraLajniN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I hope you will since Pokémon games today are getting way too easy especially when you have the EXP share and Super Training early. I personally think that super training should be given to you post game as well as the EXP share.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    I don't think there will be difficulty levels. But if we do get one, here's what I want (based on Fire Emblem awakening):

Easy: For beginners. No challenge, dumb AI, lenient levelling curve. Virtually no need to battle every trainer to catch up on EXP. Also perfect for speedruns.
    Normal: Just like difficulty level of normal Pokemon games.
    Hard: For experienced players. Lots of challenge, smarter AI, more unforgiving level curve. Enemies also have more Pokemon. Expect to grind a fair bit. Basically Blaze Black and Volt White without the moveset/type changes, etc.
    Hard+: For masochistic players. Unlocked after beating the game on Hard mode. With even more unforgiving level curve. Enemy trainers' Pokemon all possess perfect IVs and often have impossible, cheap ability and move combinations to pray on unsuspecting gamers. Worst part is they're only exclusive to enemy trainers. If you want a taste of soul-crushing unfairness, this is the perfect mode for you.

I would seriously love this. And probably still try to Nuzlocke on Hard+. The stories we'd get out of that would be incredible.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I hope you will since Pokémon games today are getting way too easy especially when you have the EXP share and Super Training early. I personally think that super training should be given to you post game as well as the EXP share.

Old fashion EV training is in some ways faster than Super Training, but it requires one to know which Pokemon give which Ev's.
    Now the Exp Share is given out by Mr. Stone when you go back to Rustboro after giving Steven the letter, so you could choose not to go back at all until post game.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I don't think there will be an option for difficulty levels, because X and Y didn't have those implemented. The remakes would definitely benefit from more difficult battles, though. I've recently beat Emerald again, using a team of 6x level 50 Pokemon and even though they had the problem with the not existing phys/spec split and really bad moves, it was still extremely easy to beat the E4+champ.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
    Well for the main game I would like to have more rival encounters and postgame encounter/battle. Maybe more Wally encounters too and a full team. And something like bw2. Modes to change the difficulty.
    Easy: Lower levels and one less pokemon on teams. Ai is even more stupid than it was.
    Normal: The normal formula we always get, Though it seems each generation it becomes easier.
    Veteran Mode: Higher levels. Better AI, More items. Something like bw2 but with better AI. In BW2 the only hard battle's i had with challange mode were the 2 first gyms. The rest was just easy.
    Pokémon master mode: This is for the Hardcore competetive players. From the start gym leaders and other important npc will have full teams. Really smart AI and blocking of using items while battling or limiting to 4 like the npc's. Opponents will carry hold items and teams are made compettetive.

Also something between veteran and pokemon master. Nintendo could easily do this. But wy they won't baffles me. I mean is it to much work? Is it because it is aimed at childeren? Or are they just lazy? Well no one knows but Nintendo themselves.

Years
    What do you mean by between veteran and pokemon master? That part of your post is a tad vague d: But if you're talking about the ability to play the game on a more challenging level, then it actually has been implemented in the past in Black and White, but the newest games didn't being the feature back.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
    What do you mean by between veteran and pokemon master? That part of your post is a tad vague d: But if you're talking about the ability to play the game on a more challenging level, then it actually has been implemented in the past in Black and White, but the newest games didn't being the feature back.

I know that bw2 included that and I also pointed that out that veteran should be like the hard mode from bw2 but with some slight modifications. I mean that there should be a difficulty between veteran and pokémon master. What i mean is Veteran=Hard, Then a sort of very hard mode and lastly Pokémon master= sort of Hardcore/Maniac mode. I hope you understand my post now.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I kind of imagined those two modes as something like Fire Emblem's Hard Mode (a reasonable challenge) vs Lunatic Mode (basically full of hax). I never dared to try it in Fire Emblem, but if Pokemon did have a Lunatic mode with crazy-NPC levels, hax, higher AI intelligence, etc, I would totally try it out 8)

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2022
    If the games were as challenging as the gym leaders in HG/SS who used very effective items/movesets on their pokemon e.g. Bugsy's Schther using Focus Energy and constantly critting me :( and I am sure we have all struggled vs. Whitney who also had lum berry on her Miltank(that surprised me), that type of challenge is good for a pokemon game IMO, have most NPCs not be challenging (so pokes can get Xp/EVs they need to play through the game) just have gym leaders/EL4/Team Boss/Rival(s) have smart AI with high IV pokes(26-31). Have some trainers like youngsters have low IVs(1-5/10) and have better trainer types like Veteran/(are they called Cool Trainers or something, they have red jackets in R/S) have Ivs 20-25.

IMO the only thing that should really be different about a hard vs normal difficulty should be trainers having more pokemon and slightly better AI/Moves on the pokemon (like egg moves/TMs).

Years
    I think it needs to be a bit more difficult than X and Y. I played most of the game with EXP Share on, and while I couldn't quite OHKO the elite four; they all lived with less than 5% health, which is extremely aggravating because then they get a full restore etc, they were still able to basically destroy the end-game bosses with little difficulty. And I didn't even feel like I had trained them myself :[

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I think it needs to be a bit more difficult than X and Y. I played most of the game with EXP Share on, and while I couldn't quite OHKO the elite four; they all lived with less than 5% health, which is extremely aggravating because then they get a full restore etc, they were still able to basically destroy the end-game bosses with little difficulty. And I didn't even feel like I had trained them myself :[

It certainly fells that way, but then again it was so unlike the other four gens considering the Exp. Share went back to being the Exp. All it was in Gen I. Hopefully they'll turn it back to the way it was in Gen III for these remakes.

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2021
    They should really give the gym leaders, rivals, elite four and some good trainers pokemo with perfect nature, abilities, evs, dvs and items.

Back