• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Difficulty?

Smooth Vibes

...as you wish...
Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2016
    I have to say it feels nice to be challenged. I play with exp share off and I have struggled on a couple fights. (Mallow's challenge... you're a jerk.) I like the difficulty. Not sure how much I will like it when I try to nuzlocke it though....

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • This game means business, I feel that most of the Trainers Pokemon have good IV's and is EV trained to some degree, so if your battling a Pokemon whom match you in or surpass you in level it's going to be a fun fight. Hau's Pikachu (Who spams Elctro ball in the second island battle) hits surprisingly hard.

MKC

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2023
    This game is certainly a lot more Challenging than previous ones, I don't remember the last time I had to buy so many potions, in most other games you could just 1hit KO everything if you were a couple of levels higher in this game it doesn't feel that way (Or My pokemon just have terrible IVs, considering I got my starter with 3IVs at 0 last gen I wouldn't doubt that).

It's also quite cool how other trainers can use Z-moves, on Hala's battle I was totally not expecting him to use a Z-move, that was a quite pleasant yet terrifying surprise.

Years
  • Definitely is. I've been playing through post-game and (barely) went through a bunch of trainers in my level range to get to the Battle Tree, then when I finally get there I'm thrown into another last battle with someone who has lv. 70 Pokémon when I only had one lv. 67 remaining. They didn't heal me. Blacked out quickly. #oops D8

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • The amount of Revives I had used throughout this generation beats all the previous 6 generations used altogether and I am not even kidding.

Years
  • Finding it way more challenging then any other i've played. Playing moon right now second Island, not getting as much time playing then i'd like. But anways i'm at the fire totum, i started with Rowlett now Dartrix, my highest level outta the party and am just getting schooled. I caught a Poliwag a while back but its only lvl 16, and once Venoshock hits from the Totums ally its pretty much one shot kill. My other 4 Pokemon in my party also get destroyed by Venoshock. Any way before this point to train and level up my Poliwag quickly or another Pokemon I can catch that'll help me win this?

YellowTemperance

DeDeDoodles™ by Kirby
    Years
  • Personally, I'm finding it difficult and I'm not happy at all about it. Difficulty in a Pokemon game should be reserved for the optional postgame and the competitive metagame, not the major meat of the game's story and quest progression. I shouldn't have to grind for hours to beat the Totem Pokemon and still stand a chance of having my team be at half-health across the board. I'm finding it very difficult to keep playing Sun and not go back to Alpha Sapphire and SoulSilver, where I was actually having fun.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Sun/Moon is harder, yeah. In the past usually the AI during the main story sorta just chose moves at random and never attempted to employ any sort of strategy in the slightest. This isn't the case so much anymore, and that's why it's harder. Only other main story battles I recall generally being considered remotely difficult in past games are like Cynthia in DPPt, Blue in the Kanto games, Whitney, and Ghetsis, with at least a couple of those being for separate reasons though.

It's easiest to see in the Totem Pokemon battles. One of Totem Wishwashi's summons is Alomomola, a fat 'mon with Heal Pulse. Totem Lurantis can summon Trumbeak, making it difficult to use a Grass type to wall it or a Bug type to kill it, as well as Castform specifically equipped with Sunny Day to work with its Synthesis and Solar Blade (not to mention Totem Lurantis is holding a Power Herb too, they did that on purpose). The Salandits Totem Salazze summons deliberately use a Poison Gas (newly buffed to 90% accuracy) and Venoshock combo.

I did all these battles today, and despite carrying at least one poke with a type advantage in each, I nearly lost all of them. Yeah it's 2v1, but in past games the type advantage would've probably been enough to go "lol gg no re" and be done in a minute or two.

There's also the fact that the kahunas will use Z-Moves against you. Mega Evolution was used against the player in gen 6 too, but it was for like literally all of 3 battles very late in the main story--when you're far stronger due to better ability to level, have a much wider selection of hold items and Pokemon to make use of, less limited movepools, your Pokemon are likely in their final forms rather than the beginning or mid stages, etc. Here you have to contend with that power early on when you don't necessarily have these benefits, and I imagine more often too.

Whether or not it's too hard/still not hard enough, or is a good thing/bad thing is a different matter.

Or I just suck that's a possibility too

Last edited:
    Years
  • i am on the 4th island, so far zero blackout, easily pwn every single trail like nothing. so far i haven't had a decent/hard battle.

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    Personally, I'm finding it difficult and I'm not happy at all about it. Difficulty in a Pokemon game should be reserved for the optional postgame and the competitive metagame, not the major meat of the game's story and quest progression. I shouldn't have to grind for hours to beat the Totem Pokemon and still stand a chance of having my team be at half-health across the board. I'm finding it very difficult to keep playing Sun and not go back to Alpha Sapphire and SoulSilver, where I was actually having fun.

I disagree. While I admit that I don't want a game as hard as Pokemon XD/Colosseum(Oh god no. hat would be scary) in my honest opinion, Pokemon SuMo are definitely the right type of difficulty. Not every battle huge battle is broken( Ghetsis) or has super hard teams to defeat(Cynthia). Nor, is the battles super easy(X/Y). Everything is just right.The Totem Pokemon are annoying, but they are not impossible to defeat. This also applies to major trainers and the kahuna's as well. As long as you are prepared you should be fine.

Difficulty in a Pokemon game should be reserved for the optional postgame and the competitive metagame, not the major meat of the game's story and quest progression.

I humbly disagree here. The difficulty is what makes the game fun! Lowering the difficulty does not equal fun; it's boring. Sure, something frustrating/annoying is not fun, but when I went through Pokemon Sun(I did that game first), I never felt like I was absolutely frustrated(unlike some other trainer...*cough Cynthia cough*) Overall, the game was pretty fair. It might just be because of my experience, but from what I got from other people, Sun and Moon are not terribly difficult.

Also, why can't Pokemon have a difficulty factor in the main story? As much as I love the competitive scene(now that I'm getting into it), you do realize the games are not meant for just that portion of the fan base, right? The point of the game is to enjoy for what it is and then get into all the other stuff. That's how it was designed to be.

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
    Years
  • It might just be that the past few games were very, very easy, but Sun and Moon have surprised me with the level of challenge at times. And I'm really glad for it!

It never feels as grindy as RBY, but it's really good to see some really well-conceived strategies in the Totems and some of the trainers/Kahunas. One major battle before the credits rolled saw me use an unprecedented number of revives - I haven't needed to do that since I first played Blue as a kid and had a super-high level Charizard with Fire Blast, Flamethrower, Ember and Fire Spin (thanks, anime....) and not much else up against the E4. This time I had a fairly balanced team around the lv. 60 - 65 and still struggled to win.

The Totems themselves were one of my favourite new features in many years. I felt like almost all of them introduced some drama and challenge into a previously tired game structure.

Catching wild Pokémon can be difficult too, especially the ones that like to call allies every turn!!!

It's not an impossibly hard game but it's not absurdly easy either. It sits somewhere in the "challenging but fun" bracket, and the game felt fresh and exciting for it... It's the difficult battles that stand out in in my memory, and I'm sure there are a few of us here who've played the series since the beginning and still remember Whitney's Miltank but struggle to name the Kalos Gym Leaders...

Years
  • Nah definitely has a point. I feel the AI are actually smarter in this game, and it's not limited to the usual smart trainer classes such as Ace Trainers.

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2019
    Haven't played much of the game yet but I'm happy to read that the game is challenging even if you have XP share on!

blue

gucci
    Years
  • After reaching the Elite Four today, I can safely say these games are fairly difficult compared to past titles. It's refreshing to see them bumping the E4 back up to using 5 Pokémon all of which pose some sort of threat. They're actually worthy of their title.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2017
    The battle tree is crazy hard compared to all other pokemon games. The dome is no slouch either. AI is definitely better than the previous games too. I caught all the legendary pokemon rather easy in comparison to any other game though, and this game has an insane amount of new legendarys.

its good that most of you think it was hard. with greninja and my pancake munchlax the game went rather easily for me until after the elite 4.

Red was way easier to smash in this game.

It's just that battle tree is nasty hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
    Years
  • These are probably the most difficult games since Platinum. It got to the point where I had to turn on the Exp Share near the end of game, and during the Elite Four in order to stand a chance.

Years
  • Histoire is definitely one I agree with. While the 6th Gen Exp. Share got retained, the level curve is quite staggering in Sun & Moon, meaning keeping the Exp. Share on constantly is the only way you can even get an edge against most of the fights in the main story.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Quite difficult. I have the XP share turned on at all times as I want to fill my Pokedex along the way so to compensate I only have 2-3 members of my main team on at any point. The other slots are filled by the Pokemon I'm wanting for the Alolan Dex completion.

For the first time I'm burning through Ethers/Revives/X boosts etc etc. - and I love it.

Back