• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Digimon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariolander

MangaTraders.com Staff
    Years
    Digimon is always looked down on for cloning Pokemon, but they did it really well. Great art, Great anime (Seasons 1, 3, and 5) with seperate storylines, so we don't have the same protagonist on an eternal quest. And holy shiz, are the anime mature compared to the Pokemon anime.

Myoko-chan

アーシェ
    Years
    I only liked season 3 cuz it was based on real life..and it turned non-real lol. And yea, digimon is abit more mature than the pokemon anime, alot of the characters had their own character development kinda thing, and there was SOME romance.

PokemonParody said:
    ASH: Prof.Oak, Why aren't you wearing any pants?
    OAK:I'm not sure Ash. Here take this Pikachu.
    ASH: But I want an Agumon!
    OAK: No Ash, that is Digimon, this is Pokemon. Now take your Pokemon and leave.
    ASH:Fine!

Ariolander

MangaTraders.com Staff
    Years
    What I find surprising in Digimon maybe playing on the more mature thing is that the monsters put people at real risk. I mean humans get injured and are in actual danger from monster attacks. Beyond that rather than simple feinting in many cases Digimon actually die... sure some turn into eggs like the ones owned by our heroes in one season but many Digimon get their data absorbed, corrupted, dissapated, or downright deleted effectivly killing them.

Humans with their arms in slings due to malicious monster attacks and monsters actually killing eachother rather than simply defeating or making them feint is a far cry from my Pokemans.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Plus, Digimon's actually got a little something we like to call a PLOT! Not to mention, they usually try to do something different each time.

From the simple, almost parody-like first series to the first human death in 02, to the borderline psychotic Kurata in Digimon Savers (aka Data Squad), there's always something new, as far as the plot of Digimon goes. Sure it's cliche, but it makes up for it by throwing elements, such as parallel worlds, sci-fi themes, and Asian references (such as the Devas being based on creatures from the Chinese Zodiac) into the mix.

Plus, you actually see the Digimon change, based on how they are treated, both in personality and Evolution forms. No two Digimon of the same kind necessarily evolve into the same upgraded form. For example:

in 01, Agumon evolves into Greymon, and then MetalGreymon, while in Savers,

Spoiler:

Plus, their personalities may be totally different, depending on how they're treated, to the point of possibly making partner Digimon into enemies.

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    I hate when people call Digimon a pokemon rip off. Digimon is more original and you can actually like the anime charecters.

Ariolander

MangaTraders.com Staff
    Years
    True but Pokemon came first and that was when it was at the rise of it's popularity so it will forever be branded with that stigma T_T

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    Although the Digimon franchise was hardly as big a success than Pokemons, I feel that the anime (series 2 esp) was definately better, since it had an engaging thing called a 'plot', which Pokemon appeared to avoid.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Indeed. Digimon season 3 was the best IMO
    But I also think 1 & 2 were spectacular.
    Digimon does have a plot which is a plus. And the fact that it's much more varied thatn pokemon is. There's good character develpoment as the story progresses and it tends to hold my attention better than Pokemon does. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy pokemon. But, the plot in pokemon is way too predictable, The characters are predictable. Brock always turns into a dumb mush when there's a pretty girl nearby especially Nurse Joy/Officer Jenny. And As always he gets dragged away by Misty(1 & 2 & 3) Max(4) and I'm not sure who does it in D/P but I'm sure i'll find out once I get a few of those episodes under my belt. Next is the fact that every episode stars Team Rocket. And every episode they get blasted off. and they always say the same thing when that happens "Looks like Team Rocket is blasting off again" *ding*
    Yeah, You get the point. XD So In essence I say that digimon was supposed to be a 'better and more mature' spin off of pokemon. It's only slightly based off of pokemon at all. So therefore Digimon isnt a spin off of pokemon but rather a more mature and well developed anime. It was clearly intended to bring those kids who were finding themselves disgusted at the increasing level of 'kiddyness' in pokemon.
    Sure, Pokemon lovers will argue that the first season was good. I know I liked it.
    But, Digimon continues to wow me with each season that I see. Therefore, It's a better anime than pokemon.

healberry

ƒ(x)=databox³ - δ
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Moon
    • Seen Nov 20, 2014
    Season 1 was decent, Season 2 was really good, I hated Season 3 with a passion, and Season 4 was my favorite. I like digimon better than pokemon, in some aspects, because every season of Digimon has a darker plot, well-developed characters, and its always improving. Every season, there's always something new added and something old taken away. I mean, the first season was about having a partner digimon, but in the fourth season the humans actually became digimon. Sure, pokemon is fun and all, but I could never really get tired of watching digimon, ever.

Years
    True but Pokemon came first and that was when it was at the rise of it's popularity so it will forever be branded with that stigma T_T

Shows what you know. Digimon was released as a V-pet, or "tamagotchi" for boys. It then expanded, etc.

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    Seasons 3 and 5 were my favorites. I mean 1 was great and all, but I really hated 2 with a passion. However season 4 maybe me angry. I mean like its not even that the kids had Digimon, but they got special armor that MADE them legendary Digimon. It was power rangers meets Digimon for Buddha Sake.>.<

Ariolander

MangaTraders.com Staff
    Years
    Shows what you know. Digimon was released as a V-pet, or "tamagotchi" for boys. It then expanded, etc.

I know that in fact I have 3 Tamagotchis, 1 Digimon, and one cat thingy rip off here on my desk. All since out of batteries but they make a nice desk ornament.

I was speaking of the anime, following card game, and games itself. I found Digimon's anime much more satisfying than the Pokemon or Monster Rancher ones in the longer run. Lost touch with Monster Rancher mid way though and Pokemon got old after a while but Digimon manages to keep things somewhat freash.

Games wise though as cool as Digimon DS was Pokemon holds a special place in my heart.

It was power rangers meets Digimon for Buddha Sake.>.<

QFE

Ash&pikachuarethebest

Houndoom trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2014
    Question: Does anyone like Digimon?

Hey I was just woundering does anyone like Digimon? I do and I want to be able to talk to people about it.

Sales_Kital

Champion of Sinnoh
    Years
    DIGIMON CAME FIRST!!!!!!!
    IF ANYTHING POKEMON IS THE COPY!!!!!
    DIGIMON STARTED WITH A KEYCHAIN GAME BEFORE POKEMON EVER EXISTED!!!!

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Ok, so there ended up being two digimon thread so i went ahead and merged them, sorry for the inconvenience

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back