• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Discrimination - What's wrong with us?

Lucid

I support gay rights... just not gay marriage, I don't support any type of marriage in fact. But I don't see why anyone would want to be married by the same laws that call them abominations, I guess just the whole affaire of the wedding, but still.
    You can't really compare racial discrimination agents sexuality based discrimination, because racial doesn't go into people's faith, but their upbringing and personal taste, while homophobia goes into all three, and faith based things are still taboo in some areas.
    Yes, what the woman did was completely wrong, but what I'm saying is that she probably thought what she did was right. My boss at work is a Christian preacher, I asked him and he says that the bible is god's word and should be taken literally, outdated or not, and I was raised catholic so I know that their believes are the same in that part (Catholicism is what I find contradictory and really despise).
    What my point is, is that as long as religions continue to teach that loving a member of the same sex is a bad thing, people will treat it as such.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I can't say that I think highly of Catholicism either.

My grandma thinks that homosexuality is on par with all other sins, and I'd probably have to agree. I just discussed the topic with her for like half an hour on AIM.

Lucid

Well it's the generation too, my grandparents were raciest until they died or became senile, but the generation after them doesn't really care.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I think my grandparents tend to be a little bit racist, otherwise they're pretty liberal. So not really typical for their generation.

Shaydeh

Banned
    Years
  • Quite a few people here have said being gay is wrong and immoral and I'm a little curious as to how they decided that. Let us not dismiss the possibility of being born gay. And should we cast our eyes down on them for being 'victims' of such birth, wouldn't we be in fact deeming their very existence wrong? And further more, would it be fair to punish or look down on someone for something they have no control over?

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Everyone's born with temptations to do immoral things. It's called self-control really. Acting on impulses is what gets you in trouble.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Quite a few people here have said being gay is wrong and immoral and I'm a little curious as to how they decided that. Let us not dismiss the possibility of being born gay. And should we cast our eyes down on them for being 'victims' of such birth, wouldn't we be in fact deeming their very existence wrong? And further more, would it be fair to punish or look down on someone for something they have no control over?
    We're taught not to look down upon others, no matter what they do. Judgment isn't for us to pass, because as humans, we're all very much fallible, so we're in no position to judge.

I don't believe that a person can be born gay. Dean Hammer, in case no one remembers him, is basically the one that got the "gay gene" huge publicity with his tests in the early 90's. He said he proved that there is in fact a gay gene with the "twin tests", there were a few major flaws with this. He did these tests without checking other pairs of twins within the same families. It was said that he basically did those tests without control groups because of this. The test have been done again by other doctors with and without control groups and not one of them has been able to replicate similar results that definitively proved there is a gay gene. One of the people doing these new tests was quoted as saying something along the lines of "no evidence, not even a trend that could support the idea of a gay gene was found in our results when done in similar fashion to Dr. Hammer's test". Anne Sterling has also been noted as saying one of the bigger, if not the biggest flaws with these twin tests is that they were all done on twins raised in the same household, that went to the same school and generally had the same social group and upbringing. She cites this as reason to claim that one cannot be born gay, but that lifestyle is instilled in them due to their surroundings.

So all that coupled with the fact that I don't believe God would allow anyone to be born gay is why I think it's a choice. This is a choice that hurts the individual though, it's their life and what they do is up to them. If gay person tries to help sick children, rejecting them based on the fact that they're gay is just as wrong as the gay person being gay in the first place.

Auron

Legendary Guardian
    Years
  • When I saw the title of the Thread, I knew that this is about homophobia.

There is nothing bad in beign gay/lesbian, if you are happy loving someone of your same sex...Be happy with him/her !! There's nothing wrong !!

I'm not an homophobe, I respect other people's sexual condition. Of course, they have to respect mine. I mean, "If I like girls, I like girls, and please don't push me to be gay because I'm not."

Shaydeh

Banned
    Years
  • Well, being the rabbit that lived the in hole for far too long, I'm not even going to pretend that I'm informed on the concept of the 'twin tests' or 'gay gene'. My flawed logic was that if it's possible for say, a male being to be born with an abnormal amount of female hormones, or possible for a baby to be born with both male and female parts, then likely it would be possible for a male to be born with the engine of a female's sexual orientation. But since that is not the case you say, I rest me case, myesh?

Indeed.

Natsuki

.bluefang.
    Years
  • Kelsey, the basis of this arguably goes back to the book of Exodus, where it was written that the tribe of Israel was to be governed so that no man could have sexual relations with another man, and women likewise with women. Isn't it amazing that the religious right will try to hold on to something set down for a tribe accustomed to the times of the ancient Egyptians and, for that matter, something that could have been simply misrecorded or misinterpreted by man over time? We're even getting verses and entire chapters added and filled in at this moment, so chances are that by the next millennium we'll probably have three or four more books added....

And may I add that this is all from the Old Testament, which, from my understanding, Jesus Christ fulfilled the prophecy of and categorically revised in his teachings?

Yet in times as early as Ancient Greece, men could have sexual relations with other men and no one looked down upon this. In the case of the Spartans, so long as a man could fight and provide for the city-state, no one could have cared less if he slept with another man. The same ideas applied to the women. While the men went off to war, the women stayed home and were allowed to visit with the other women of the neighborhood or whatever you want to call it. In some cases women may have "fallen in love" with another woman because of this isolation to men. And really, "love" is something mankind invented and was not fully expressed until the 16-1800's or something (I forgot the actual years, grr).

I don't know when it was that people decided falling in love with someone of thesame sex was some horrible and misguided thing, but it makes absolutely no sense. When people decided they had some almighty authority over other people's lives is beyond me as well.

~Kelsey

Drifblim

Banned
    Years
  • Yet in times as early as Ancient Greece, men could have sexual relations with other men and no one looked down upon this. In the case of the Spartans, so long as a man could fight and provide for the city-state, no one could have cared less if he slept with another man. The same ideas applied to the women. While the men went off to war, the women stayed home and were allowed to visit with the other women of the neighborhood or whatever you want to call it. In some cases women may have "fallen in love" with another woman because of this isolation to men. And really, "love" is something mankind invented and was not fully expressed until the 16-1800's or something (I forgot the actual years, grr).
    That's true, but they supposedly never accepted Christianity until after Paul swung 'round and was killed in Rome. The book of Acts (and the letters he worte following) has a lot on Paul's condemnation of any practice allowed by polytheism in that era.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    That's true, but they supposedly never accepted Christianity until after Paul swung 'round and was killed in Rome. The book of Acts (and the letters he worte following) has a lot on Paul's condemnation of any practice allowed by polytheism in that era.
    I was named after Paul in the Bible. </needless Paul trivia>

Anyways, I think it's kind of weird how that changed so radically. If you've watched the movie Alexander, there's a whole second love story between Alexander and his best friend. And you see them get in bed together, but then the camera comes to the next day.

If you look at the Romans though, they were a pretty good example of immorality.

LelandLancaster

Sexy Cupcake
    Years
  • I find it hard to blame the woman for being uncomfortable around a lesbian. You can't really tell people "it's wrong to feel grossed out about this or that, so don't be". It's her choice and whatever she did was her decision.

Blastoise

Der Lufthausen
    Years
  • Regardless of whether a person is "born" gay, or being gay is simply a choice, it is by no means a wrong thing. It's not a lifestyle that I agree with or that I would want as my own, but I refuse to shun people for this choice. In fact, one of my best friends is bisexual, and I can get along fine with people who are gay or lesbian. However, it cannot be denied that, as flawed human beings, we will always have a small amount of prejudice towards those who are different than ourselves, even if we don't hate them, or don't openly show it.

However, this sort of thing does need to stop; but it will take just as long to rub this form of discrimination out of the world population's behavior as it did to rub out discriminatory action towards blacks/hispanics/etc. out, and such a drastic transformation may never fully occur.

Lord Mike

Most Loyal Colts Fan on Earth
    Years
  • Well said Blastoise; very well said. I have the similar view to yours, and we do need to respect peoples' decisions, even if we're not supportive of them.

Discrimination needs to stop or else the world will...well...you know what I mean

~LM~

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    By the way, to clarify, discrimination needs to stop in these sorts of situations. Where homosexuals aren't flaunting that they're different.

Personally, I can't stand flamboyant gay guys. Seriously, I can't even watch anything on TV with them, it just pisses me off.

Choice is one thing, but simply being different to be different is not cool. Respect those around you if you want respect back.

xcutedivisionx

[[Pair :: Charizard_maa]]
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2007
    That is NOT right. She is a human being just like any other person. And no-one should care what her orientation is. That is her personal life that she chose for herself. It sickens me when people discriminate. It doesn't matter what race you are, what orientation you are, obese people, disable people (mentally & physically). PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE REGARDLESS OF WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE ON THE OUTSIDE!! THEY SHARE THE SAME FEELINGS AS YOU, THE SAME ORGANS, AND THE SAME BRAIN! SO TREAT THEM AS A REGULAR HUMAN JUST AS THE WAY PEOPLE TREAT YOU!!! PEOPLE WHO ARE DIFFERENT DON'T WANNA BE TREATED LIKE THAT, YES THEY KNOW THEY ARE DIFFERENT, BUT TREATING THEM DIFFERENTLY ISN'T GOING TO HELP THEM. MAKE THE CHANGE NOW AND TREAT ALL PEOPLE THE SAME.

Back