• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Discussion on why X and Y were made more casual

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    What's so bad about Pokemon being a casual game?

Like, honestly...isn't that the point?

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
  • What's so bad about Pokemon being a casual game?

It's like the people who say you have to spend 1000+ hours grinding in any RPG to make it a worthwhile RPG. In reality, these people spend all their time playing impossibly difficult games and don't really care about the people who don't want to play that long.

It's not just gamers; you can find these people anywhere. Like religion, for example. You have to follow every rule about your religion exactly, or you're not a good Muslim/Christian/Jew/whatever.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Aug 5, 2022
    Pokemon as a series wasn't really what I would call a game for the "Hardcore" gamer however I do have a feeling that was made slightly easier for a reason. Given the fact that it is possible to have DLC on 3ds games (as far as I am aware anyway) maybe things have been made easy because of an increase in difficulty on the horizon (Possible DLC). Just a theory I dont have any evidence to support this or maybe it's just wishful thinking as someone who finished the game and wants more to do :P.

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2021
    What's so bad about Pokemon being a casual game?

Nothing is wrong with it necessarily, but compared to 5th Gen X and Y has taken a serious chill pill.

It's like the people who say you have to spend 1000+ hours grinding in any RPG to make it a worthwhile RPG. In reality, these people spend all their time playing impossibly difficult games and don't really care about the people who don't want to play that long.

It's not just gamers; you can find these people anywhere. Like religion, for example. You have to follow every rule about your religion exactly, or you're not a good Muslim/Christian/Jew/whatever.

I never said anything negative about casual players, some people like to train pokemon and fight them against other players and some just like to collect. One is not better then the other but X and Y seems to not want to give a real challenge in the single player and just leave it to the online.

I thought it was quite easy aswell, but for the most part I don't think its too casual as you can turn EXP. Share off and EV train the old fashion way. I will agree though that the AI levelling was totally underwhelming as any pokemon could be used as party leader.

All these changes though, with the super training and all were to make it more accessible to EVERYBODY to have battle-worthy pokemon to go online and experience it, instead of a very small minority

So maybe this could be a hint that they coud be focusing more on online in the future instead of the single player

I love the easy EV training. Less time it takes to train means more time to experiment in battles with UU,NU, etc teams. Also for people who never really understood EV can join in on the battles.

Pokemon as a series wasn't really what I would call a game for the "Hardcore" gamer however I do have a feeling that was made slightly easier for a reason. Given the fact that it is possible to have DLC on 3ds games (as far as I am aware anyway) maybe things have been made easy because of an increase in difficulty on the horizon (Possible DLC). Just a theory I dont have any evidence to support this or maybe it's just wishful thinking as someone who finished the game and wants more to do :P.

I def think that we will see a DLC sometime next year. Though i hope they purposely did not take things out of the vanilla game just to put it in DLC. The end game does seem to lack a lot of content that every other game had.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    Nothing is wrong with it necessarily, but compared to 5th Gen X and Y has taken a serious chill pill.

maybe that is their main aime. Maybe GF decided that since in last two generation 4th and 5th we had story heavy games maybe they thought they would give us some "chilled" games.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2017
    How is it more casual? I felt that is was equally accessible for newcomers and past players while keeping a edge so that 'core' players would still enjoy the title. Honestly it's much less casual due to it lacking the laborious hand holding that plagued the 5th gen games. The game just throws you out into the region with only touching the basics.

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2021
    How is it more casual? I felt that is was equally accessible for newcomers and past players while keeping a edge so that 'core' players would still enjoy the title. Honestly it's much less casual due to it lacking the laborious hand holding that plagued the 5th gen games. The game just throws you out into the region with only touching the basics.

Well the story in this game was probably the most violent over any other Pokemon game, The villians wanted to resurrect a Pokemon so they can use its power to kill everyone but Team flare...pretty brutal lol. The actual gameplay is very chilled and everything is handed to you without much challenge at all.

In some ways I agree—there seem to be a lot of changes geared at making Pokémon more accessible, and all the better. If you really cared about training your Pokémon's base stats, it's now far easier to track your progress and actually boost stats. Gives you more time to focus on the important stuff, like battle strategies.

I don't think X & Y were as difficult as Black 2 and White 2 could be. Perhaps having a Key System with difficulty unlocks would be the way to do things. But there's always things you can do, from setting the Battle Style to "Set" or keeping Exp. Share off. There's also avoiding extra features like Super Training entirely, or varying your own teams (or the number of Pokémon in your party at all).

You could've totally ignored the manual and not noticed Pokémon-Amie and Super Training were even there, and based on that, you could think that they really have stopped holding your hand. Yet on the other hand, I don't think Pokémon could be too much less casual, though. There's a lot of features here and there that don't really need an explanation. Catching Pokémon? Sure.

Oh, and to everyone else, don't act like people have never brought extremely overpowered Pokémon into random battles, either. People throwing in their Mega Evolutions aren't too different from those who favour sticking their Kyogre into battle, and the wiser have simply plotted a way to wipe them out.

Well i don't think you should have to change settings in the game to make it more difficult. If you are doing a nuzlocke challenge or something then yes but if your just doing a normal run through then it seems a little ridiculous. You would be able to keep all these features if GF would fix the one issue that has plagued Pokemon since 2nd Gen. That is underpowered, unaware, and quite frankly derpy AI. I don't mean across the board either obviously a youngster is not going to be very good in battle,but the champion of the E4...ya he/she should do everything possible to try and win.

Last edited:
    Back