• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

~~Diving Deep~~ (A Water Pokemon Fan Club)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Gym Leader

Arlyn Aquos
Years
  • What do you think about water pokemon being able to battle out of the water? Does it make sense to you or not?

Now hold up. Sure Water Pokemon can battle out of water, we've seen Magikarp out of water in the anime flopping for water. But asking why we can have a Basculin out of water for an hour long battle is like asking how an Onix can battle underwater for the same length of time.

Reactions: Sun

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • Basically it does if theyre made to go outside of water like crab pokemon Pelipper and others i think others dont really make sense like wailord of the water wouldnt make sense. I think it does in the games though cause its based of that theres some type of water field near where ur battling which is probably the way its set up.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I guess the impracticality of it all wouldn't be worth the logic. :p Considering pokemon aren't technically real-life animals but instead their own species, it would make sense for water pokemon to be able to battle outside of the ocean. Cutting the usage of water types by saying "oh hurrdurr it's not in the ocean therefore it can't battle lolz", would then have to be applied to all the other types as well (like flying for example) and cause a massive chain of confusion. So everyone's reasoning is perfectly valid and I find myself agreeing with all of it. ^^

I suppose some stuff doesn't really make sense such as capturing a Wailord or sending one out without killing somebody but y'know, this is pokemon after all. The water field idea could be possible but I doubt there'd be a convenient patch of lake in the middle of a desert or such? Anyway I think water types in general are either made up of different anatomy or just disobey the general laws of our world seeing as it's a completely new universe. :0

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Feel free to create any topics guys, don't be afraid or shy about it. :p
    I don't have any in my mind currently, so yeah

Dedenne1

Years
  • Haha ok this will be my first topic here i think i have a topic in every other club haha :D
    What changes would you creat to the water type if you could?
    For me i would make water types super effective against steel because water plus steel =steel rust i just feel it makes sense. Wbu guys?

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • What changes would you create to the water type if you could?

I'd have to agree with the Steel thing. Metal typically doesn't do well in water. The only thing about that is the reaction isn't usually instant, it takes time, so just getting hit by water wouldn't instantly create rust. It is a valid point though, so kudos for the that.

Dedenne1

Years

I'd have to agree with the Steel thing. Metal typically doesn't do well in water. The only thing about that is the reaction isn't usually instant, it takes time, so just getting hit by water wouldn't instantly create rust. It is a valid point though, so kudos for the that.

Haha thanks i knew someone would! And ya it takes awhile but obviously not everything in pokemon makes sense :p of coarse there are also some moves that good probably instantly create rust but that would be a select few.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    What changes would you create to the water type if you could?

Nothing that hasn't been mentioned honestly. I think water is fine in terms of matchups but again, the steel and water thing. It's true that steel doesn't immediately rust against water but I think it'd be okay to ignore that concept and assume it just rusts straightaway. Also what about water being supereffective against flying? Since water would make the bird's wings too heavy to fly depending on the intensity of the attack and all. However I would honestly keep water the same way it is now - but if there had to be changes, the above two were the first things to come to mind. :)

Wicked3DS

Years

Nothing that hasn't been mentioned honestly. I think water is fine in terms of matchups but again, the steel and water thing. It's true that steel doesn't immediately rust against water but I think it'd be okay to ignore that concept and assume it just rusts straightaway. Also what about water being supereffective against flying? Since water would make the bird's wings too heavy to fly depending on the intensity of the attack and all. However I would honestly keep water the same way it is now - but if there had to be changes, the above two were the first things to come to mind. :)

You definitely make a case for Water being super effective against Flying. It must be way harder to fly when soaked, so I could be okay with this.

Dedenne1

Years

Haha another agree.

You make a compelling point about water being super effective against flying types they cant fly when they are wet so it makes a good amount of sense.

Of coarse i wouldnt change water if i had a chance but if I had to my choices stand. ;)

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017

Any Pokémon that can be drown should have Water-type as their weakness. Ice-type moves should be super effective against Water-type Pokémon, because water becomes solid under low temperature.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Come, my children. Water shall become the new master race and together we will take over the wor-

I'd have to say though, I didn't actually think of water vs ice. The more confusing thing is why ice is ineffective against water types. :o I'd understand neutral damage but how come Gamefreak didn't think of adding ice to one of their potential weaknesses? The idea of water freezing and therefore being ineffective makes perfect sense and is well-reasoned. :( Though it's good that water types have one less type to worry about, I think it's a tad strange they'd miss that one out.

Dedenne1

Years
  • Come, my children. Water shall become the new master race and together we will take over the wor-

I'd have to say though, I didn't actually think of water vs ice. The more confusing thing is why ice is ineffective against water types. :o I'd understand neutral damage but how come Gamefreak didn't think of adding ice to one of their potential weaknesses? The idea of water freezing and therefore being ineffective makes perfect sense and is well-reasoned. :( Though it's good that water types have one less type to worry about, I think it's a tad strange they'd miss that one out.

Any Pokémon that can be drown should have Water-type as their weakness. Ice-type moves should be super effective against Water-type Pokémon, because water becomes solid under low temperature.

Omg how did i not think of this it makes sense why is it not super effective? It freezes all the water around it rendering it impossible to move and such. Hmm this is definitely something that would make the most sense for gamefreak to implement

Water Gym Leader

Arlyn Aquos
    Years

Come, my children. Water shall become the new master race and together we will take over the wor-

Omg how did i not think of this it makes sense why is it not super effective? It freezes all the water around it rendering it impossible to move and such. Hmm this is definitely something that would make the most sense for gamefreak to implement

Good points all around, but let's think of it the other way. Put an ice cube in water, does the Water freeze? Now Freeze Dry was added into Gen 6 that is super effective against water...that's a start, but what if Water types were weak to ice if it's hailing?

Dedenne1

Years
  • Good points all around, but let's think of it the other way. Put an ice cube in water, does the Water freeze? Now Freeze Dry was added into Gen 6 that is super effective against water...that's a start, but what if Water types were weak to ice if it's hailing?

Essentially it wouldn't be an ice cube it would be a beam or temperature drop thts would essentially freeze the water and render it useless. An ice cube would have no pokemon move nor any type of move that would be competitive in any aspect. Ice type moves essentially change the temperature and freeze a target through water in the air or h2o somewhere near the target thereby ice would be supereffective against it no matter what.

Years
  • Essentially it wouldn't be an ice cube it would be a beam or temperature drop thts would essentially freeze the water and render it useless. An ice cube would have no pokemon move nor any type of move that would be competitive in any aspect. Ice type moves essentially change the temperature and freeze a target through water in the air or h2o somewhere near the target thereby ice would be supereffective against it no matter what.

I was always curious why Ice wasn't super-effective against Water despite the logic that cold temperature makes water freeze up. It's just weird to see Water resist Ice which doesn't fit in with this, but it's cool to see Freeze-Dry is a thing because it helps some Ice-types that otherwise struggle getting past Water-types (like Vanilluxe, who mostly learns moves that are resisted by Water and Aurorus who is weak to Water moves).

The hail mechanic suggested would be a bit tricky to work out, but I definitely want to see more moves like Freeze-Dry. But I'd definitely change type mechanics to make Water weak to Ice instead of resisting it.

Reactions: Sun

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Water Club Members, you are free to create a topic (but make sure to follow the rules). :) So go on, don't be shy. We won't bite, but splash here. :p

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Hikamaru said:
    I was always curious why Ice wasn't super-effective against Water despite the logic that cold temperature makes water freeze up. It's just weird to see Water resist Ice which doesn't fit in with this, but it's cool to see Freeze-Dry is a thing because it helps some Ice-types that otherwise struggle getting past Water-types (like Vanilluxe, who mostly learns moves that are resisted by Water and Aurorus who is weak to Water moves).

Well, when ice-cold temperature get into contact with water, latter doesn't turn itself into ice overnight; it does take some time. When it does turn frozen solid, it's because it's embraced the temperature rather than neglecting, so if we take that into consideration, it does sort of make sense to be seeing water-type Pokémon resisting ice ones. If it were other way around, I believe it would make better sense, because when we put a cube of ice into water, it tends to melt much faster than water itself transforming into ice. I hope I'm not sounding too confusing, haha.

Aside from what I've stated above, I'd likely have water become super-effective against psychic-types. I'm not sure how true this might be as I'm not an expert, unfortunately, but I've heard in the past that when there's running water around (such as some waterfall of sorts), telepathic powers get heavily reduced, causing them to become almost non-existent. Going by this idea, I believe things would indeed be understandable.

Though, psychic already has enough weakness at the moment, so I don't necessarily feel it would need any extra.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Well, when ice-cold temperature get into contact with water, latter doesn't turn itself into ice overnight; it does take some time. When it does turn frozen solid, it's because it's embraced the temperature rather than neglecting, so if we take that into consideration, it does sort of make sense to be seeing water-type Pokémon resisting ice ones. If it were other way around, I believe it would make better sense, because when we put a cube of ice into water, it tends to melt much faster than water itself transforming into ice. I hope I'm not sounding too confusing, haha.

Aside from what I've stated above, I'd likely have water become super-effective against psychic-types. I'm not sure how true this might be as I'm not an expert, unfortunately, but I've heard in the past that when there's running water around (such as some waterfall of sorts), telepathic powers get heavily reduced, causing them to become almost non-existent. Going by this idea, I believe things would indeed be understandable.

Though, psychic already has enough weakness at the moment, so I don't necessarily feel it would need any extra.

Wow Water > Psychic is a whole new and interesting aspect. :)

Thanks for enlightening us on the Ice-type moves being not effective to Water-Pokémon! :)

Wicked3DS

Years
  • Based on what you said, I think Water-types should resist Psychic-type attacks instead of Psychics being weak to Water attacks. It might make them unable to attack, but it's possible they could still defend themselves alright.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back