• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do IRL people know you go on PC?

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
  • My older sister knows I go on here, and knows I'm a mod. She's the only person I know so far that knows I go on a Pokemon forum. ;P

Sirfetch’d

No one IRL even knew I had an online life until just recently. I was browsing PC on my tablet and set it down on the table without closing the PC tab. My mom uses my tablet sometimes so she went to and saw PC open. I was logged out so that was good. She doesn't know my username or anything and didn't even make a comment about it. Maybe she doesn't even know what forums are? Regardless I am an adult and don't really care if my family knows now as opposed to when I was a teen. The worst they can do is think I'm weird lol

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    My cousin and one of my guy friends know. Mainly because they're the only outside people from my family who know I play Pokemon lol. Idk I'm just not big on sharing stuff like this with everyone. Some things are best kept to yourself.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    No one IRL even knew I had an online life until just recently. I was browsing PC on my tablet and set it down on the table without closing the PC tab. My mom uses my tablet sometimes so she went to and saw PC open. I was logged out so that was good. She doesn't know my username or anything and didn't even make a comment about it. Maybe she doesn't even know what forums are? Regardless I am an adult and don't really care if my family knows now as opposed to when I was a teen. The worst they can do is think I'm weird lol

I wouldn't assume you're a forum regular just by seeing you browse a forum, you might be looking for help on a game, hacks etc.

I joined the forums when I was 13 and started working on a ROM hack so of course I had to explain to my dad why I was using the dial-up so much and who all the people on MSN I had were. :p I also used to show ROM hacks to my brother. I recall telling a few of my friends as well back then too.

I don't think anyone knows I'm still on this forum anymore, and I really wouldn't tell anyone unless I knew they enjoyed Pokémon as well.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • My brother and sister knows that I frequent PC. They tend not to care anyway, since they know I've been frequenting forums since 2008 anyway lol. My parents don't really know about this place as well.

As for irl friends... All I say is that I frequent an online forum. I never specifically mention PC at all. They may see me open a tab on mobile and that's it. Well, at least for the non-Pokemon fans.

Considering that I got a few folks I met at VGC tourneys, of course I tell them that I browse PC. I mean, most of them do if it's only for the ROM hacking lol.

Years
  • Most of people I know don't have any idea there exists something like Pokemon and internet discussion forums, and most of them just don't care about this kind of stuff.

No, IRL people don't even know what am I doing on my laptop.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • I'm not overly secretive, but at the same time I won't openly come out and say "I frequent a Pokémon forum called PokéCommunity..." And so on. People have seen my browsing this forum on my phone, and know that it is a forum, but not much else. I'm happy with PC as an escape from regular dumb life and the people I'm forced to interact with (I get a long with a couple, but not many).

Years
  • Well I haven't been on here for too long but either way I don't really care if people know or not.

Anyone who knows me fairly well is probably aware of the fact I love Pokemon and that I use the internet quite a lot so...
    If any of them were to see me on here they'd probably just be like "Huh. Figures." and go back to what they were doing.

Shiyori

shake off the dark!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jan 5, 2016
    My friends don't know, but then they are not really into Pokemon so much. They know i use the internet a lot, but I dont think I will ever mention that I use Pokemon forums. They wouldn't be interested in it anyway, so meh.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I've never told anyone irl... I'd prefer that they didn't know.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    A lot of people in real life know that I have "another job" on a website. They don't know the specifics because I can see their eyes start to glaze over if I make mention of anything. So I doubt that anyone that in my real life knows that I'm on a Pokemon forum, and if they do know, they don't know it's this one.

Years
  • A lot of my friends know I go on a "Pokémon fan site" often because PC is literally always open whenever my computer is, and I have my laptop out on occasion in front of them when hanging out.

I have two IRL friends though that are PC members, and they know that I'm a mod here. :P

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • My brother and parents know. My best friend does too. They don't mind and they wouldn't join so I don't care them knowing.

I wouldn't like other people I know that have internet lives to know, though. As said by many above, PC is my oasis.

Years
  • I've told some of my friends that I go on a forum, but I haven't told them what it's called because...their my friends.

Years
  • I tell people about this place when I tell them about anything cool I learned or heard of from here. No one irl I know is on here, but I wouldn't care if they knew this was my base of operations :P

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Pretty much everyone close to me and my family know I go on here.

Back