• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do they really think the earth is flat?

Memory

let's waste time ✖
Years
  • My boyfriend linked me to the Flat Earth Society a few months ago.
    I laughed. <3
    I admit, it was quite entertaining to read their FAQ. It had some of the stupidest things in it....
    My dad also said that the Flat Earth Society was around back a few decades ago, but it was a much smaller group of "mostly old farts."

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Why would the government lie about the Earth being round? They have nothing to gain from it.
    But it's the government they lie about everything :O lets challenge everything they say.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • If they thought the earth was flat, they're retarded no? IF the earth WAS flat wouldn't we eventually walk right off the edge......yea think about that xD

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Nope, how many people walk to the north or south pole?

All those people lost in the Bermuda triangle fell off the edge of the world :O the government sent them there, can you not see the conspiracy people?

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • Darn government. All prime ministers and frigging presidents are the same, they don't care about the people, they just want the MONEY $$$

I hate the Government especially Kevin Rudd

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • That is simply preposterous! If the Earth was in fact flat, it would take 4X as long to traverse between places in the Southern Hemisphere than in the Northern, and it simply does not.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • How can it be flat?
    Honestly if you think about all the things we can do today, it cannot possibly be flat...
    We can sail all around the world and never fall off the edge...
    If the Earth was flat, gravity possibly would be a lot weaker as the force is spread over a greater length as apposed to all in the center..

Euphoric Magikarp

Magikarp ~<3
    Years
  • Hahaha, let them believe what they want. Facts are facts, people can choose not to believe them or how to interpret them. Still I find this real funny :3.

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2008
    Them durn governments is hidin' tha truth from us all! But we know tha earth is flat cuz that's what peoples thought in dem olden times! So it's gotta be true!

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    https://theflatearthsociety.org/for...f2bb803d63ada9ffccac86b8f44d5fb&topic=11211.0

Their FAQ
    It's laughable.
    Apparently the antractic is a mountain range covered in ice that holds the seas on, sustained space travel is impossible so satellites do not exist, NASA is the center of this conspiracy but they are not sure of the motives, the whole thing is quite frankly spouts of nonsense with no evidence.

And their main source on information? A book written by Samuel Rowbotham, written in the 1800s.

Good luck to the guys, but I'll stick to thinking that the world's governments and NASA are not inleague to fulfill a pointless conspiracy with no actual dividends =]

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Thats a good point, well said ;)
    But this one takes the biscuit lol

Years
  • Why would the government lie about the Earth being round? They have nothing to gain from it.

That was exactly what I was thinking. I can take conspiracy theories seriously (doesn't mean I believe them though), but they will have to sounds plausible. Just stating they "probably gain something from it, but we have no idea what" plus the fact that I can't imagine how to gain something from it turns this one into a complete nonsensical story to me...

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    I wonder what flat-earthers theories are on around the world flights? If the world is flat then how is it possible to get from canada to japan in so quick a time without falling off this said edge?

And if we could fall off the edge, then so can water. So if that is the case we have nothing to worry about global warming, since all the excess water will just fall off the edge of the world... :P We know that isn't the case. Sounds like these guys think in side scrolling role play games.

I guess the only way of prooving the world isn't flat to them is by sending them into space. Which would cost a fair bit of money :P

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    They need to be flown round the world... even if they were though, they'd probably find some excuse to say the world is flat.
    So long as they don't go around preaching what they believe, I'm happy to let them think what they want.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    "Q: "What's underneath the Earth?" aka "What's on the bottom?" aka "What's on the other side?"

A: This is unknown. Some believe it to be just rocks, others believe the Earth rests on the back of four elephants and a turtle. "

I'm afraid to keep reading the FAQ.

Vyro

Master Douchelord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2014
    What a load of nonsense... as if the world is on the backs of turtles and elephants!

it's a load of junk!

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    "Q: "What's underneath the Earth?" aka "What's on the bottom?" aka "What's on the other side?"

A: This is unknown. Some believe it to be just rocks, others believe the Earth rests on the back of four elephants and a turtle. "

I'm afraid to keep reading the FAQ.

......Actually, this shows that the entire thing is a joke. Anyone who knows of the Discworld series of books would be able to notice and quickly realize this.

Back