• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you actually know how to play the TCG?

Collecting for...

• Show

Votes: 46 36.2%
  • Play

Votes: 23 18.1%
  • Both

Votes: 58 45.7%

• Total voters

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
    I just collect them because I sort of forgot how to play. I used to a long time ago but since I stopped, I completely forgot.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2023
    I collected the cards mainly for show (I got the Overgrowth Deck), but once i started playing, i bought them mainly for playing. Stopped when i realized every one of my card except the overgrowth deck was a fake, ah innocent youth.

matt561

Your French Charizard
    Years
    I can play to an extent but it gets over complicated when you take all the rules into account

i got the card mainly because they were cool

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
    Throughout the majory of my card-collecting years, I did not know how to play the TCG. My cousin tried to teach me, but it was no use. I eventually got the Pokemon Trading Card Game for Game Boy, but I traded it for some cards (which I now regret doing).

It wasn't long after I got in high school that I really got into reading the rules of the TCG. I finally learned to play. I'm still not the best. I don't try to use the strongest cards. I play with my favorites (old or new). I play for fun, not compeditively.

"Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites." -Elite 4 Karen

Haha... funny thing about that. I use mostly dark, flying, and fire type Pokemon in my deck. Karen uses dark, flying, and fire. I just noticed that.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
    I used to play all the time. I would enter tournaments and everything. I only won once and only won two packs of cards and 10 bucks. It costed me half that just to enter. But, it was worth it to win. :]

I haven't played in god knows how long, though... I remember how. But, meh... has the way you play the game changed at all?

EDITED: To the person who mentioned the Charizard, everyone wanted to get the Charizard. xD I remember there being an article about it for a while. How little kids were wasting their money on packs of Pokemon cards trying to get the Charizard. And, how the Charizard was sold for some odd hundred bucks at the card shops. Haha. Those were the days. I doubt he's that rare anymore. Regardless, I had the Charizard. (muahahaha!!) He was my pride and joy because all my friends wanted him. :]

Jumpluff

I make the Rules, You follow.
    Years
    I only picked up some packs to bring and "Show-off" at School and Trade with friends but I've never tried to read the instructions to play. :p

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    I know how to play (I think...:S)
    But thats only because I bought the TCG for Gameboy XD
    I think I was taught as well, but I can remember WHO taught me...
    I was a bit of both (that sounds sooo wrong XD)
    I didn't really play much and I normally just collected them...
    Anyway, I dont collect them anymore....
    And if the rules have changed recently, then no...I dont know how to play XD

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 17, 2012
    I collect and play. Although, I haven't been able to play the TCG in quite a while. I finally got back in to it and started getting the cards again. Unfortunately, I can't use about 95% of my cards, as they're all too old. Now, I just need to go to the league that's near here once I get enough cards. I used to go to a league all of the time, but it closed down for some reason.

DarkAkatsuki

Into the night~
    Years
    • Age 29
    • USA
    • Seen Oct 3, 2010
    Hm...I only collected with the pokemon cards when i was younger, but now they seem boring ever since i play the video game of pokemon.

Raikou Trainer

Competitive Pokemon TCG player
    Years
    I've been playing since 1999, and I started playing competitively in 2004. My greatest accomplishment came last March, when I got third place at the Virginia State Championships.

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2010
    I loved playing the game ^^ Admittedly, I only started once a friend threatened me that he'd take my cards if he beat me (he didn't know the rules himself XD), but once I played, I really enjoyed it! My brother and I play fairly often, although neither of us has bought a new deck in a while...

Back