• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you agree with abortion/euthanasia?

Do you agree with abortion or euthanasia?

• Agree with abortion only

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Agree with euthanasia only

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Agree with both

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Agree with neither

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Unsure...

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • NB - This is for a school project and is not intended to start a PC war. I hope you will all respect other's opinions.

For GCSE RS, we have been discussing voluntary euthanasia and abortion. I am supposed to fill in a survey, saying if people agree with one, neither or both.
    If you want to leave a comment, please do, but say what you voted in the poll.

Personally, I don't agree with abortion, as I don't think it's right to kill something that a) had a chance to live or b) had a chance to protest. However, I do agree with euthanasia - I think it's often kinder to put someone to sleep than make them live in pain, and if we can do it to animals, why not humans? (Note that I put humans on the same level as animals, as technically we are animals.)

Any views?

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2010
    I'm personally only for Euthanasia and only when it's voluntary - if people want to take away their own lives, that's fine. I mean, it takes some serious suffering to become so desperate. Just imagine for yourself how bad it must get if you suffer from something like "Motor Neurone Disease" - you literally degenerate whilst you're still living. Your muscle disappears and your brain capacity disintergrates until you become comatose - what kind of life is that? Is it not better if a person wishes to die in dignity than go into such a shocking state? :(

Abortion, on the other hand... I don't believe it's right for a life to be taken away... I mean, if the mother doesn't want the baby, at least put it up for adoption? I mean, what good does killing it do? All you are doing is taking away a life that has the potential to accomplish something great. Imagine if that baby, when they grew up, discovered a vital cure, became a popular musician or really achieved something special? For me, it's morally repugnant to kill the child just because the Mother can't be bothered or doesn't want the child.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • You have to admit though that sometimes abortion is necessary, such as in situations when the baby would cause the mother to die, when the mother knows she will pass on some life-threatening trait, or when simply the mother cannot bear the child because pregnancy would interfere with maintaining her own life.

Definitely not for some eugenics purpose or anything, though.

Euthanasia is okay like in the aforementioned situation. I'd prefer morphine, though.

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2010
    ^ Oh, of course, that's understandble! I meant in the cases of no harm coming to the mother... Sorry, I should have been clearer.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • Youth in Asia is comprised of Asian denizens who have not yet passed the rites that make them adults.

*cough*
    Basically, it's mercy killing, to put it bluntly.

TeirusuFX

-ω-
    Years
  • Youth in Asia is comprised of Asian denizens who have not yet passed the rites that make them adults.

*cough*
    Basically, it's mercy killing, to put it bluntly.

Haha, very funny. To put it even more bluntly, it's practically assisted suicide

I only agree with euthanasia only if the person who wants to die is bound to die. And for abortion? Only when the baby is bound to die in it's first years of life

In brief, I only say yes to both of them only if they're gonna die anways

LoaferBoyzX

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • Haha, very funny. To put it even more bluntly, it's practically assisted suicide

I only agree with euthanasia only if the person who wants to die is bound to die. And for abortion? Only when the baby is bound to die in it's first years of life

In brief, I only say yes to both of them only if they're gonna die anways

LoaferBoyzX

Euthanasia is usually performed on patients who cannot decide for themselves anyway (due to a mental disorder, prolonged sleep, etc.). Sometimes the person consents prior to their disposition just in case and sometimes (if undecided) the decision is made by a proxy.

In this way, euthanasia isn't really suicide - that would be if a person straight up told the doctor to kill them. Regardless though, I'd a terminal, conscious person would rather be shot up by morphine and spend their last few breaths having fuuuunnnnnnn rather than just up and die.

Er, strictly speaking, euthanasia is just facilitated demise under the guidance of another party. What's being detailed is probably the medical application (the one I'm referring to).

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • I consider euthanasia as suicide. I mean, if they are willing to die, then...

If a woman has a baby, then she should keep it, but it depends on the woman. I mean, if she is raped or embarrassed, then I can't really say anything about it (as I have nothing to say), but c'mon.

This is a baby we're discussing about. Would you kill an innocent being for just being ashamed?

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    I agree with euthanasia only, as a whole, however, there are some cases of abortion in which I can see it being justified. If a woman is raped, she is having this baby against her will. That's certainly not fair that she should have to have this baby because it would be "unethical" to abort it.

Stupid teenagers who don't know how to utilize safe sex, I have no sympathy for.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • *facepalm* not another one...

I think abortion should be allowed, but not encouraged.

I think euthanasia should be allowed with the patient's consent. The patient should be given a few months to think about their decision, and if they still want to end their life, then they should be allowed to, without anybody making them feel bad about it. I think it is a good idea for everyone to tell someone they trust what they want to have happen to them if they become in a vegetative state. I, for one, would certainly want to be killed if my body ended up like that.

Those are my opinions, hope it helped your project.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I am against abortion unless there's a compelling medical reason for it.
    When the thread author says 'euthanasia', I'm assuming he/she means putting down an animal for population control/medical reasons.

I am for euthanasia because I dont see animals like I do humans. However I do feel that euthanasia should be avoided at all costs despite the fact that I don't mind it, animals have just as much right to live, but I fully understand that sometimes the presence of humans and civilization in general pose a real health risk to the population of both the animals and humans alike. I do not believe that god disapproves of us cultivating the land and redirecting the animal population somewhere safely away from humans, so they are not unnecessarily harmed.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    If the person has honestly nothing to live for, then I'm all for euthanasia. But not if they're just really depressed in their teens, that'd be sick. Only in old age, thanks.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Why lump the two together? They're not at all the same.

Both involve killing the weak and/or removing an unwanted burden.

What kind of society are we if we can't even protect the weakest of us? And people wonder why we have wars and violence :(

To answer your question, I'm absolutely against abortion (unless the mother's life is in danger), and I'm against active euthanasia. If delaying someone's death is only causing suffering and pain, then their life should just be allowed to take it's course rather than prolong it.

Plus if I was old and frail and euthanasia was legal, I'd be scared to go to the hospital.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • When the thread author says 'euthanasia', I'm assuming he/she means putting down an animal for population control/medical reasons.
    Yeah, I shouldn't read threads backwards. I thought this at first too, but OP says otherwise. Consider my vote to be "neither."

And Drifloon pretty much summed up my sentiments on both matters.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back