• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you believe in friends forever?

Michii

as in Mishy
Years
  • I don't believe in "best friends forever" for the same reasons as Gummy and TwilightBlade. People change and things happen that separate friends. It's happened to all of us, and because of my own experiences with friends, I just don't know if I believe in that happy ending of having a friend for the rest of one's life. ://

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • No. There a things that are out of your hands, people don't stay the same forever, etc. The only remote way though, would be to stay in contact on a basis.

Metatron

No guts, no glory
    Years
  • I really, really wish I could say "yes" to this, but sadly, there's no such thing as "friends forever."

Like other people have said before, people are always changing. Whether it be personal changed they're going through, or changes they make in order to be accepted by society's standards, no one is the same forever. I've noticed it happen before, here as well as in real-life. You might consider someone your friend one day, then the next, they could completely blow you off for someone else. I'm sure some people here may have others they consider "true friends," but I haven't been able to find anyone like that =/

Cherish your friends. A few years from now, they could become an entirely different person.

Teara

First visit in 4 years (oops)
    Years
  • I belive it's possible to keep contact with friends through out your entire life, my mother had several childhood friends who still even check up on me. However to stay in the same area as them is pretty rare.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I know from expierence that's not true. For both online and offline there were people in my life I was best friends with. However, things changed and now I don't talk to some of those people at all. It's not that anything bad happened with them, it's just that we went different ways.

I'll always love my friends dearly, but thinking about it. I'm going to be 4 or more hours away from all of them in a year and with starting college, we'll all be too busy to meet up all the time. I do plan on keeping in contact, and being there for them when need be, but still. It won't be the same.

It just happens like that, you just have to appreciate all the fun you have~

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I believe in friends forever. A true friend is a wonderful thing to have. I still keep in touch with one of my friends from high school. From time to time I get others from my high school class who come up to me all friendly and say "I remember you" but they were not really my friends back then.

A true friend is hard to find. If you do find one, cherish them as long as you can.

Lo-chan

Seme Dara will get you :o
    Years
  • I believe it's possible to be friends with someone "forever". I have to agree that most of the time people move on and get new friends, that has happened with my friends. After I moved, I barely talk to any of them simply because they met new friends and it was just different at a distance.

I have a best friend who I trust completely. She is the only person I am close to and I really hope nothing comes in between us. We've been through too much together to let it get ruined so easily.

SamuraiMaster

and his son, Layne (Buizel).
    Years
  • It depends.

If you're talking about friends you've known for a helluza long time then Yes.

I know a guy who lives in Seattle, we've known each other since birth pretty much. We have a lot in common, we will never betray each other.

If it does happen, I'd be depressed beyond recovery.

ShadowDeeps

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    That depends on how you define "forever". I tend not to adhere to such certainty when it comes to the notion of "time" but I do have a soft spot for friends and I don't feel supercilious towards that kind of thing. But in my own observation the search for friendship is unending given that there's always some sort of flaw or facet that arises in life that will always put that friendship on the ropes or to a test of sorts. Or a rather, tests vs. choices. Which, to me, in a way, abrogates that friendship once searched for like that.

That's not to say I don't support long-lasting bonds (insofar I don't feel there is a person or thing that would qualify for "too nice"). But I'm very content in my own company and find that if something is going too askew that disconnecting myself and becoming aloof until I can feel refreshed and less tense is a better recourse than persevering in a friendship until there's nothing left to persevere about.

Last edited:

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
    Years
  • It's a nice thought, but I'm not so sure I entirely believe it.

I have three friends that will always be dear to me, and I've known them all for 13-14 years. And although we were very alike in elementary.. (loved video games, pokemon, cartoons, actually good music, etc... ), they have much changed.
    I mean, I've changed too, but I think I've stayed the same more than they have.
    They're all party animals..
    And I actually had signed a year lease in an apartment with them.. and after three months I jetted out. Partying is not my style... >.<

Any other friends I've made over time have come and gone..
    I try to keep in contact with them.. but they have their lives, and I have mine.

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    When I was younger, I believed in best friends forever; I honestly thought it was possible to be friends with someone forever. But then I figured "How's it possible to be best friends with someone forever?" and stopped believing it. Who knows? Maybe I'll believe in best friends forever in the future but as of now, I don't.

HeavensNightSH

Got Diamond Nov. 20
    Years
  • Me and my best friend refer to each other as soul mates ^_^
    We were both born in the same month which sorta explains how we have the same personality ^_^ I'll love her forever

Fearless Love

self-proclaimed anime dork
    Years
  • Truthfully, no I don't. People change, they leave, they die, it's just hard. I've had friends that have said we'd be friends forever and just as quickly as they said it, it didn't mean anything, and they left.

I love all my friends to death. Even the ones that really aren't my friends anymore. but forever is a long time, and it means so many diferent things to diferent people.

For me, Friends Forever is something that you have to work at. I will probably only have 1 friend forever, if that ever happens.

Ashen

※ あなたを…
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2009
    I kind of do. Mainly because I've had bad experiences with people in the past once I've "left" their lives. Then again, it's highly unlikely, unless you're insanely compatible, that people you're friends with in grade school will continue to be so later on in life. It's even possible that the same phenomenon occurs in college, though I've heard of people finding life-long friends in college more often than from grade school.

That being said, I live by one rule when it comes to friends: "Those people who matter don't care, and those who care don't matter." More or less, this boils down to the fact that if people can't accept your quirks and flaws, they don't matter; but if they can accept them, then they're some of the best friends you'll ever have. So, yes, I do believe in friends forever – they kind of have to fulfill the requirement with the quote in order for that to happen.

(And, in case anyone's wondering, that quote is from Ted Geisel. Yes, Dr. Seuss. An infinite font of wisdom, that man.)

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I've only had three best friends in my life.

The first was a boy who lived across the street from me. We went to Kindergarden together and basically did just about everything together up until the point he was going to move to a place I have forgotten since. It was about two years after we became friends. I found out that he was talking negatively before he moved, but didn't remain in contact with him until the point where I had to say goodbye. My first best friend-best friend relationship: broken.

My second best friend basically took his place rather quickly when I entered second grade. He moved from a different school. We remained best friends for a while up until middle school where he started to irritate me. However, our friendship continued towards high school. We were juniors (well, are juniors) when our friendship ended. He doesn't know, but I found out he smoked and didn't want to be around such a negative influence. You see, I have asthma, and when I'm around smoke it gets really bad. I was at a homecoming meeting with our class (graduating class), and he came. He didn't go to the same school as me since he decided to drop out as well and he came with cigarettes and smoked RIGHT next to me while saying how much he loved to smoke. I clearly remembered just a few years back when he said he'd never do that. We both promised each other when we found out another friend smoked. He broke that and our friendship and is now someone I don't want mentioned in any conversation between me and someone else. My second best friend-best friend relationship: deceived.

My final best friend relationship was with someone who moved to my neighborhood from Florida and has sense moved back. This one was actually my strongest friendship I ever had with someone else. I was introduced to him by someone I didn't really care for since he was a known trouble maker around my neighborhood. He was riding bikes with him and we met up. I said hi, and then quickly went back home across the street. The next day came, and I saw him riding alone around the apartment complex across the street. I continued to meet up with him on strange occasions leading to the assumption that it was probably meant to happen that I'd be friends with him. He was there for me everyday after that. I was his first friend there and his first friend to ever enter his house. His parents knew me, respected me, and treated me as their own since I basically lived in thier house for the majority of the two summer vacations to follow. He was there for me when I got my bike stolen, I was there for him when his dog ran away. Up until 8th grade, everything was going fine until I found out that his dad got a new management job ALL the way back down in Florida. This one was especially hard for me to cope with because we promised to keep in contact with eachother but it seems he cut relationship slowly with EVERYONE from my neighborhood. My final best friend-best friend relationship: nullified.

I do, however, have one friend that I had been friends with since pre-K. We met at a day care center and are still friends. However, this isn't a best-friend status. But, with that said, I do believe friendships can last as long as you keep the friendship close to you and don't let anything interfere with it. But that's about it. So, forever: no.

In terms of people online, no. I don't believe online relationships (unless acted upon into a real life relationship) can last that long. I do believe they can last for a number of years (ranging up to about ten), but forever? Can't say I think that can happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ayesha

惚け
    Years
  • Well I sort of do. I believe there is someone out there who will be the perfect friend for me in every way and can share my pain and share my life and such.

Renneh

I know A Bot
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2009
    tough question. I do for 2-4 friends who I know online, that even if we don't talk for months due to a variety of circumstances...we are still really close and will always be.

For everyone else, I don't really trust many others so I really doubt that they'll be friends forever because of the same reasons others have said..people change and move on.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I don't have a best friend that I talk to every day or so. I've got several pretty good friends instead. But I do have some friends I got when I was little little little and still when we meet it's like no time has passed. That's what I call friends forever. I spit on forced friendships though.

Back