• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you buy every version?

Altair1

Willpower
Years
  • I'm the type to buy every version, however I'm now currently selling my games except X & Y, as I don't think I'll ever play them any more after transferring everyone up to Gen VI...

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I don't buy every version, though the closest I can get to that is buying the base releases then the third version i.e. Diamond and Platinum. I can't get the money and I don't have the time to bother to buy and then play 2 versions of the same generation unless it's, once again, a third version.

Years
  • Generally yes, I do have every version. Although I didn't get Soul Silver for a year after HGSS released, I picked it up used at a GameStop. I even have two copies of Platinum, White 2, X and Y, the second copies are for challenges and speed runs, haha.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • Times were I used to buy every version. I stopped doing this after the fifth gen though, and have yet to buy a sixth gen game.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I always buy both versions, for two reasons: I like to work on my Pokédex all by myself, and I kinda like finding all the differences between versions.

I used to buy (well, get my parents to buy :P , that was in the GBC days) one version, but I always ended up wanting the other somewhere down the road. Now I don't bother waiting and just buy them both on release day.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2016
    I bought 1 per set in 4th and 5th gen. I didn't get the black and white remakes though.

Years
  • I've always said that I wanted to have one of each version at some point, but so far I've only picked up one out of each 2-3 game set. Even with Omega Ruby and Aqua Sapphire which I'm very excited about, I still only see myself picking up the latter of the two.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I've always said that I wanted to have one of each version at some point, but so far I've only picked up one out of each 2-3 game set. Even with Omega Ruby and Aqua Sapphire which I'm very excited about, I still only see myself picking up the latter of the two.

Yay, Aqua Sapphire. :)

I end up buying both versions even though I say I won't ~_~ Especially at the start of a new generation, I usually have one game that keeps all my Pokemon and another for restarting until I get tired of playing the game, haha. I don't really like to delete Pokemon so I like to have a way to save them. :3

Years
  • I've never bought both for myself. However, if it counts, my brother always buys the opposite version. I get Y, he gets X, and so on. That way, if there's a version exclusive that I can't acquire, it's readily accessible via my brother's cartridge. Only exception is HGSS, because my friend got us both SoulSilver for our birthday, so neither of us on HeartGold.

Years
  • I only ever buy one per set - I've never even bought both the third version in addition to the originals, for example I bought a DS quite late after Platinum etc. had been released, so after some research just ended up purchasing Diamond and was happy with my choice :) Even buying Black and then White 2 felt weird to me haha :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I generally buy every version at release these days. I didn't do that for the first three gens, but in every case, I generally decided to fill in the gaps later, and it was a pain to find the games in some cases. After an agonizing experience finding a used version of Emerald after I became sold on trying out the Battle Frontier, I decided to save myself the trouble in the future by just buying everything. I don't always have time to play all of my games, but I like being able to trade with myself, and I enjoy playing through multiple times with different teams, so it seems like a worthwhile investment.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • LOL no, my wallet isn't bottomless. I usually buy the "first" version (Red, Gold, Ruby, Diamond, Black, Black 2, X) and a third version.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I buy every version, usually a few months after release. I usually own one and the other one for my sister. So, yeah I do buy every version, but I only own one of them.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I have better things to spend my money on than a few Pokemon in the other version. If I want the exclusives I'm sure I'll be able to find someone on PC that would be willing to give them to me, outside of like...the legendary, and even then I could probably get a friend to clone a random one and give me a clone.

So basically I'm spending twice as much for no reason. 40 bucks is already a lot of money for me, so another 40 just isn't worth it.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I've never bothered buying all versions and since the GTS was introduced it's not even neccessary anymore.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I buy every version. I usually buy one on or near release that I use for my 'main' game, where I work on completing everything and use for trading/storage purposes. Then I buy the other version a few moths later that I use as a 'challenge' game where I am fine with restarting over and over.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    No, certainly not at full price for both versions of a pair. There are a few reasons for having two versions, mainly due to the series still suffering from the inanity of lacking multiple save slots, but the sheer willingness many persons seem to have to buy both is astounding. Funny, Game Freak have been getting away with Ground Zeroes-level BS for a very long time.

Back