• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you care about your Pokemon's genders?

psychomew2

Rank 1: Otsdarva
Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2014
    I do care, though in a very odd way. I feel an ocd type need for there to be a balance of genders in my team if at all possible. I don't wanna be a "girly man" with only females, but I don't wanna seem like I'm sexist or something by using only males. I know that it's a dumb way of doing things, but I'm already in the habit of doing it like this. Oh well XD.

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    I don't care at all. I even have a female Machop and Mr. Mime.

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
    Years
  • Sometimes Pokémon just don't seem right with certain genders. Like a female Mr. Mime. :P I am always picky about genders. x_x

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • The cat Pokemon on my team must always be female. Otherwise, I want a team that's a mix of genders, usually a 3-3 mix, or a 2-3-1 mix if there's a genderless Pokemon involved.

That's about it as far as my concern for genders is concerned.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I like specific Pokemon to be a specific gender. Like Conkeldurr and Machamp have to be male. lol. Lopunny and Gardevoir have to be female. You get the gist, right?

Years
  • Haven't you heard of any of these cases where you think these Pokemon should be a certain gender?

- Male Musharna
    - Male Gothitelle
    - Female Jolteon
    - Male Roserade
    - Male Whimsicott
    - Female Watchog
    - Female Stoutland
    - Male Mismagius
    - Female Honchkrow
    - Female Hypno
    - Male Bellossom
    - Male Breloom
    - Female Skuntank
    - Male Purugly
    - Female Manectric
    - Male Pachirisu
    - Female Floatzel
    - Female Basculin
    - Male Vileplume
    - Female Samurott
    - Female Blaziken
    - Female Swampert
    - Female Torterra
    - Male Drifblim
    - Male Gorebyss
    - Female Huntail
    - Female Sharpedo
    - Male Chimecho
    - Female Bouffalant
    - Male Teddiursa
    - Female Beartic
    - Female Gigalith
    - Male Swoobat
    - Female Druddigon
    - Female Haxorus
    - Male Emolga
    - Female Zebstrika
    - Female Krookodile
    - Female Garbodor
    - Female Stunfisk
    - Male Sawsbuck
    - Male Vanilluxe
    - Male Audino

and there are many more like that...

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • I only care about their gender if it directly impacts their evolution. Otherwise, I don't even really notice it past the naming screen.

Plus, if Nintendo were to assign Pokemon genders based purely on how masculine or effeminate they are, this is gender stereotyping.

Last edited:

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I actually only like genderless, or male Pokémon. I have NO idea why I don't want female Pokémon - I have nothing against females lol, I just like the idea of male Pokémon more because I like recklessness, and in the anime, male Pokémon are most of the time competitive and reckless and playful (not always but mostly) which I like better than the cutesy depiction of female Pokémon. There are some cases in which I don't mind, and of course Pokémon like Miltank who are only female, in those cases I don't mind.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • I will travel and travel and search and search and breed and breed until I can find an all-male team. I generally don't like the female versions because they appear smaller. I hate that.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
  • It really depends on the Pokemon. Gardevoir for example I would want female. Though the ones in my party are usually male and I rarely even get female ones. Sometimes not by choice.

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    Haven't you heard of any of these cases where you think these Pokemon should be a certain gender?

- Male Musharna
    - Male Gothitelle
    - Female Jolteon
    - Male Roserade
    - Male Whimsicott
    - Female Watchog
    - Female Stoutland
    - Male Mismagius
    - Female Honchkrow
    - Female Hypno
    - Male Bellossom
    - Male Breloom
    - Female Skuntank
    - Male Purugly
    - Female Manectric
    - Male Pachirisu
    - Female Floatzel
    - Female Basculin
    - Male Vileplume
    - Female Samurott
    - Female Blaziken
    - Female Swampert
    - Female Torterra
    - Male Drifblim
    - Male Gorebyss
    - Female Huntail
    - Female Sharpedo
    - Male Chimecho
    - Female Bouffalant
    - Male Teddiursa
    - Female Beartic
    - Female Gigalith
    - Male Swoobat
    - Female Druddigon
    - Female Haxorus
    - Male Emolga
    - Female Zebstrika
    - Female Krookodile
    - Female Garbodor
    - Female Stunfisk
    - Male Sawsbuck
    - Male Vanilluxe
    - Male Audino

and there are many more like that...

1. I see Teddiursa as masculine but it's my opinion.
    2. Sawsback seems more masculine to me.
    3. So does Breloom.
    4. Audino is female only (i think)

Anyway, I do care about my Pokémon's gender if I'm going to use it long but when I simply am going to box it, I don't care what gender it is.

Strangely, I'm okay with female Rhydon or Rhyperior. Maybe it just sings "tough tomboyish gal" or something. Rhyhorn? Eh..not much.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
  • Sadly, I do. Just the other day I was playing SS and I was looking for a male Larvitar. Why? I dunno. I just thought a male would look cuter than a female. But I searched for an hour, ran into 4 females in a row, and just ended up catching a female.

I actually catch a lot of male Pokemon though. Most of my Pokemon are males unless I think they look better as a female, i.e: Gardevoir, Roserade, Butterfree, Togekiss, Beautifly, all eevee forms, Altaria, etc. But I usually go for males if they look more muscular/manly/cool. And I seem to grow more attached to my Pokemon if they are males, I have no idea why... :/

Retro Gamer'93

Pokemon Master of Kanto
    Years
  • Actually the amount of time I spend thinking about genders in pokemon is about....0. I could care less if my pokemon are male/female/no gender what so ever. The first time I heard about it was when I was playing emerald with a friend, and he asked me if I ever breed my pokemon and I had no idea what he was talking about, then he explained all of it to me and I was still like, "Wow that's interesting, but truthfully I don't really care." He laughed.

Back