• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you care when celebrities die?

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
  • After going through Facebook, I just wanna say something about the "1 dies, 1 million cries. 1 million die, no one cries" and related things people say after celebrities die. A celebrity touches many lives, just like soldiers and (I guess) starving children, and any other example I'm forgetting. People get SO mad when people grieve celebrity deaths, and it's really, really annoying me. Would you rather no one care? And even worse is that the people that post this kind of stuff normally don't give a crap about soldiers or kids or any of that and they're just being big fat hypocrites. And I bet if a celebrity they cared about died, then they'd have all the care in the world. Like I say, every life is important. So yeah, just wanted to get that out of my system. People wanna act like celebrity lives aren't worth jack and such and that's just not right imo.

50 points for Syd!

I get so goddamn angry whenever I read that nonsense on Facebook. If people wanna pull that self-righteous crap, they shouldn't do it anywhere near me. Yes, it's sad that the world is the way it is. Yes, it's sad that people die every day - but you know what? Such is the mortal coil. If you have issues with that, deal with it on your own time. A person who was beloved by millions has just died and they are entitled to their grief without you crapping all over it with your "perspective".

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2022
    None of the celebrities are important for me. I never cared for any of them. I just don't like Real movies as well as english and french songs. Michael Jackson died? "Ah.". They got their own relatives to mourn for them, I'll mourn about my own relatives. After all, we don't cry every time we learn someone died.

Not like I ever cry much in the first place anyway :[.

Guest123_x1

Whenever I hear about a celebrity death, especially someone I know about, my heart sinks, and I feel bad for quite a few days.
    Excuse me for sounding cold for saying the following, but one thing I really hate is when the media turns a celebrity death into an obsessive circus (e.g. Anna Nicole Smith) that goes on for weeks or even months on end. They did this with not just Anna Nicole Smith, but also with Michael Jackson and Princess Diana-we kept hearing about it for months on end with those. Yet when other celebrities die, (usually lesser-known ones), the media just reports on it, then quiets down after a few days or a week. As an example, when Merv Griffin died, the media spent about a week or two on it and basically just dropped the issue. Similar thing with Johnny Carson (whose brother directed The Merv Griffin Show and Wheel of Fortune)-we heard about him for a similar period of time, then they stopped it completely all of a sudden.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Piggybacking off of that one...

After going through Facebook, I just wanna say something about the "1 dies, 1 million cries. 1 million die, no one cries" and related things people say after celebrities die. A celebrity touches many lives, just like soldiers and (I guess) starving children, and any other example I'm forgetting. People get SO mad when people grieve celebrity deaths, and it's really, really annoying me. Would you rather no one care? And even worse is that the people that post this kind of stuff normally don't give a crap about soldiers or kids or any of that and they're just being big fat hypocrites. And I bet if a celebrity they cared about died, then they'd have all the care in the world. Like I say, every life is important. So yeah, just wanted to get that out of my system. People wanna act like celebrity lives aren't worth jack and such and that's just not right imo.
    The only thing that bothers me in regards to this is not so much that people care, it's that this begins to saturate the media like crazy. I always feel bad when someone dies before their time, but I don't think it should just...envelop everything. I mean, yeah, if you're an entertainment source, sure, it's a pretty big story and directly correlates to what your main avenue of work is, but when something like, say...CNN begins nonstop coverage for it, I can't help but roll my eyes. Despite the number of people she touched, she was still just a celebrity, someone...fairly inconsequential in the grand scheme of current world affairs. A perfect example of this is, I believe it was this Monday, a breaking news story happening involving Syria, in the middle of coverage about Houston and...the reporter seemed so removed from the news story and rushed through it, literally spending less than a minute of air time before going back to talking about Houston's death. That's what bothers me, if people want to grieve, by all means, let them, but I hate it when this becomes the biggest "news" story on a news channel...but, hey, I guess it brings in ratings and I should probably know better than to expect a television news channel to stick to actual news.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • As cold as it sounds... I care about as much about a celebrity dying as I do when a homeless person does.

Life is valuable, and when someone loses theirs, it is nothing but horrible to rank them from invaluable to useless. It is all tragic. The fact that one of them is far more popular does not make them an any better, or any worse person.

Nagaraja

আমি সর্প থেকে নোয়ান নিচে হবে
    Years
  • Will it be posted in a magazine or on the news when I die? ... NO
    I think it's better to remember everyone for the good they did, however, a celebrity dying is just taken WAAAY over the top. Most of the time it's an over-reaction because we are raised to "idolize" celebrities.
    I don't care, but I am saddened for the loss the family and the entertainment world has to suffer.

I'm also incredibly saddened that the next year will horrible with magazines and tv shows about them. Give me my shows and GTFO

Tachikaze

九番隊 // Earth-Severing Wind
    Years
  • It's usually sad when anyone dies. For any loss of life.

And it irritates the hell out of me when I see the "Don't forget about the million of dead kids in some third world country, why should we care about dead celebrity A" chain posts. See above.

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    For me it's only those who I pay attention to or care about fully. It's heartbreaking to see any who pass away, but it is what it is. We're all going to go also, that's why we have to live life to our fullest and live everyday like it's your last day!

I didn't know much about Whitney Houston, I didn't drop to tears or anything, because I didn't know much about her...I did feel something when Dan Weldon died in IndyCar Series. Danica Patrick's last race in IndyCar before moving to NASCAR..definitely not what anyone want to happen.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2016
    I would say "Oh, that's sad", but I won't cry unless I am a big fan (Example: Even now, I still say things like RIP Dio) . As with every other death in the world.

BIEBER FANS, DON'T READ:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    In all honesty I don't care for the death of a celebrity more than I would care for the death of a non celebrity but I do feel sad for the loss regardless of my personal opinion.

TardisHobo

piranhapunk
    Years
  • Only if they were a big part of my life, or if I really enjoyed their work... I was a mess when Steve Irwin died, and I was really upset about Michael Jackson, too, but... none of the others really got to me. Also, just as a personal note, please don't die any famous people that are a big part of my life, and if I really enjoy your work, and we're also friends. That would be really really bad. *cry*

Alec Empire

Are you ready to testify?
    Years
  • No, because celebrities almost never have a direct impact on my life, or inspire me to do anything.
    Take Whiteney Houston, for example. I love it how little girls have never even heard of her, and when she died, everyone started listening to her and 'caring'. That's called the Jimi Hendrix effect.
    But who am I to judge?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Not really...

Most of the celebrities now that have been dying I wasn't really into as a kid so I can't really "care" that much. Steve Irwin was probably the saddest for me just because he was so young, but I didn't really cry. However I'm sure if someone from Neighbours, Glee, Eminem, etc if those died then I'd be sad because I've grown up with that and so on.

Back