• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you consider video game music to be real music?

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
  • I see where the OP was going with this, it's just poor choice in wording. It's like asking if video games are art vs whether or not video games have components of art. Now asking about video games being art? THAT'S a topic of debate.

I'll just put it this way. A majority of the music I listen to comes from video games. And not even the most recent ones at that unless they're part of a franchise I keep up with. Otherwise I'm still listening to music from the 4th generation of video games.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • A lot of games have some amazing music..Mario, Sonic, FF, hell, maybe even FPS games have awesome music, whether it be catchy, dramatic or downright wicked, most people who play games play it for a few reasons - music, story or gameplay.

So, do I consider video game music to be real music? I say yes.

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2013
    Most of the songs I have on my playlist are songs from the games I play, and it's funny because today I was listening to the music from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon time/darkness/sky on youtube, It reminded me how much I loved those games! Brought memories back and made me smile once again! Other than pokemon music, games such as assassins creed and skyrim have fantastic music!

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I would definitely say video game music is "real" music (not least because well, what's music that isn't real?).

Assassin's Creed 3's music often has hints of Pirates of the Caribbean in it, and pretty much nobody would argue that film scores aren't real music. (Interestingly, the voice of Faulkner is that of the actor who plays Gibbs in Pirates).

And c'mon, would the battles against Lance and Red in HeartGold/SoulSilver be half as dramatic without that brilliant battle theme? (Possibly my favourite out of the entire series). Or its 8-bit remix? In many cases the music makes the scene/game.

Years
  • At least 75% of the music I listen to is from video games. Music from Touhou Project for example could easily be mistaken for non- videogame music. This is the reason why when you look at video game reviews, whether it be Game informer, IGN, or even the reviews on this site, there's a section for music, or sound, etc.

I could list at least a pageful of fantastic music in games. IMO video games themselves are a type of art form.

And to rest my case...

-written while listening to the special orchastera CD that came in the collectors edition pack for the 25th Annevirsery version of Legend of Zelda: The Skyward Sword (seriously.)

Last edited:

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • It depends on the "type" of music. With 8-Bit songs i'd say it can be considered as music, but it doesn't really have to. Of course it has a melody and all that, and i would definitely consider it a tune, but i dont think i would call it music. If we look at videogame soundtracks past the 8-Bit era, i would definitely consider them music, some are even masterpieces! The art of videogame music imo is to stress and underline what is happening in the game and what the protagonists are feeling. Some games have beautiful soundtracks, and it would be a crime not to consider these masterpieces music

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2022
    Music is music some music is good , some bad but videogame music is just the same as normal music, but serves a different purpose

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
    Years
  • Music is music is music. VGM is just music serving its medium, much like film or TV. It sets tone and pace, and it colours a world or event.

Renyui!

ascender
    Years
  • I think what you and I would define as 'real music' and be quite different. As such, I don't think there is no such thing as fake music, or 'not real music', and considering the basic definition for music is organised sound, yes, I think video game music is real music.

EDIT

I just read the OP, probably should have done that originally. Good to see you have the same ideas!

PkmnTrainerSeol

PokeBreeder Extraordinaire
    Years
  • I do see it officially as "Music" yes. People have worked hard on creating games with amazing soundtracks (Sonic 06's OST for example was AMAZING)

I listen to nothing but Video Game soundtracks.

Goldenhand

Hatched Egg
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 30, 2014
    I agree with video game music being music, and video game music has some of the most beautiful songs out there. For example, Memory of Light and Waves from Final Fantasy is probably one of my favorites, along with the ending theme from Ruby and Sapphire. And of course there's the Skyrim main theme. However, I probably wouldn't listen to video game music on my ipod or something, as I prefer 'regular' music instead. But when I'm playing the game, the music can make the mood so much better.(And I'll admit, I do sing along to the Skyrim theme every time I put the game in :D)

Sir Codin

Why in the world wouldn't it be real music?

It's made using the mostly the same methods other musical genres are made?

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    I'm with others and consider it real music; I listen to a lot of it as well. Both the Golden Sun and Golden Sun: TLA soundtracks are my personal favorites.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2013
    I'm really happy, reading through this thread, that so many people agree with each other on how Video Games are just as prominent towards art as anything else. It's a fantastic point of view and one that I hope will become the social norm as time progresses.

Berzerk!

Hey, c'mon! Get serious!
    Years
  • Why not? I love putting on some VGMs when I'm bored. I mean think about it, they call dubstep music, personally I think it's a load of garbage but I know others like it and so be it. In fact, developers put alot of time into music to help it fit the mood and scene of the game they're trying to create, and in the long run most of the tracks become some really good chill music or some pump kick butt tunes when your button-mashing at those MMOs.

Back