• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you ever not use your starter?

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Has there ever been a time you played through the game without using your starter? Especially if it's your first time playing through the game?

I tried doing it myself and it just felt so wrong.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    I think that the only time I didn't use my starter was on my first run of Black 2, since the Gen 5 starters are my least favorite. And whenever I get around to replaying my White I'll probably do the same thing tbh.

Oh and also when I did my Rock monotype. No Rock starters, so....

Last edited:

Squidchan

The Lady Cthulhu
    Years
  • I almost changed my Combusken for the Reckless Emboar that I received through mystery gift a few days ago, but I ended up sticking with my Combusken, who is now Blaziken. I have never played through without my starter.

Years
  • I play without my starter all the time. First two gens were the only ones I felt truly attached to my starter.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • X/Y, actually.

I usually go an entire playthough- but I dropped my Chesnaught off fairly frequently. Especially since its Fighting type is more of a hindrance than an asset, for the larger part of its training.

Years
  • Though I hate to admit it, yes. I often do switch out my starters for "better" Pokémon. I've even traded some away, heh. The only generations that I didn't do this was in both Hoenn and Kanto. The reason being is that I just felt particularly attached to my Torchic and Bulbasaur. I can't really say why, but I could make a guess and say that it's because of their first forms -- they look pretty adorable.

Years
  • I once played through Ruby without my Swampert, but in the end I do admit it's hard playing if you don't have your starter because they are always a solid team member.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I really just hated the gen 5 starters and they just felt really suckish. So yea. I chose Snivy and used it until it was fully evolved and then boxed it. It was such a waste of space on my team and the other two weren't too appealing either.

Years
  • The only times i've ever not used my starter as far as I can recall are in challenge runs where it's not part of the permitted Pokémon I can use. Aside from that, if i'm doing a normal playthrough then my starter will probably be on it, although in aforementioned runs there have been times where it was permitted but i'd leave it behind for more interesting Pokémon to be used.

TheUnit684

Heedrim
    Years
  • Occasionally I do go without my starter, although it's usually only when I am doing a mono-type or some other themed run. The other cases being when I'm simply tired of using the same one over and over. (Example, in Unova, the only starter I can tolerate using is Snivy. So if I want to do a playthrough and I don't want Snivy on my team, I'll usually box my starter after a gym or two)

avvii

Mew
    Years
  • No. I haven't. I don't think I ever will. I have always had a favorite starter (except for 1st gen) and I usually use my favourite Pokémon in my team.

avvii

Mew
    Years
  • No. I haven't. I don't think I ever will. I have always had a favorite starter (except for 1st gen) and I usually use my favourite Pokémon in my team.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    Unless i am doing a something like a monotype, i rarely (if ever) take my starter out of my main team. They may not be the best Pokémon, but they level up at a pretty good rate and sometimes can be used as hm slaves :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I have tried this a couple of times before, yes. Luckily, things seemed to have worked out without much trouble on both occasion.

First time I had attempted playing through a game without using starter Pokémon would be in my second run of FireRed version. Aside from battling Gary, as soon as I'd gotten myself a couple of Poké Ball, I wound up capturing Pidgey and decided to give it a shot and see how gameplay would be without using my starter.

Things wound up to be slightly difficult at beginning, as Pidgey didn't precisely have access to much useful moves, but they eventually began to ease when I started to expand my team by capturing more Pokémon. This was sort of an enjoyable experience, I would say.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Only game I've stopped using my starter for most part of the game is Yellow. Pikachu just aint got nothing against Jolteon there <3

Other than that, I've almost always kept my starter. Especially in the first playthroughs!

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Once or twice perhaps, generally in games that I've played once before. I like most of the starters, so that's not really an issue for me.

Back