• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Do you have a dedicated Capture pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I like having a Scyther I got in trade trained specifically to capture other pokemon, however as far as I could find out it can't learn any status inflicting moves (well, maybe toxic, I'm not sure. I meant more sleep, paralyze, things that won't damage the pokemon) but it does know False Swipe. Anyway, what do you train to specifically capture other pokemon, if you do so at all?I'm just looking for other ideas. Thanks!

Moist

other in a month When you,
    Years
  • I use a level 50 something Gallade. It can learn False Swipe and Kirlia can learn Hypnosis at level 53 (28 levels after Kirlia can first evolve into Gardevoir). It took a while, but it was worth it.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • Yeah I like to train specific Pokemon for capture-purpose only ^_^ For example, I always take care of some Pokemon knowing False Swipe (but be careful though when you want to capture Pokemon that know Take Down or other HP-lowering attacks cause they could knock themselves out easily), but I also train Pokemon knowing Mean Look (i.e. >.> for capturing Abra) and with not too strong Att. Power so I have more change at slowly-damaging my Pokemon I want to capture :)

If I want to capture Pokemon using to fled during a battle, I also like to make use of abilities such as Arena Trap abilities (preventing escape) or use Suction Cups (get more effective bites) when chain fishing :) You'll see that more Pokemon abilities are quite effective for capture purposes but also other stuff (like using Sweet Scent to encounter more horde battles) ;)

I train these most of the time around Lv. 50 and some with the same attacks/abilities around Lv.30 depending where I'm going to search wild Pokemon :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    No, the Pokemon I actually use post-game are always the result of breeding or trading. In X and Y I'm going to catch each Pokemon I don't already have right when I first see it. So I'll be using my in-game team.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    When capturing legendaries, I use Breloom and Aegislash. Breloom's got access to Spore, and with the help of this move, it could make the Pokémon fall asleep in an instant. While it's sleeping, Aegislash can switch in and False Swipe it to its lowest possible health. When it wakes up, then I'd call out Breloom again and have it use Spore one more time. Now, the Pokémon's all set for capturing! (: If I'm capturing a wild Pokémon, though, and not a legendary, then I won't bother using Breloom or Aegislash; I'll use whatever I happen to have as my lead at that time. Wild Pokémon aren't as hard to capture as legendaries, so there's really no reason to worry. Just lay back and be easy!

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I use my Gallade for this purpose. It knows False Swipe, Mean Look, Thunder Wave and a moves that lets it defeat other Pokemon. With him I even managed to get Moltres.

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2013
    Level 84 Aegislash with False Swipe for those FS Pokemon. Too bad I ended up trading him. Curse you Monsoon Vivillon people!

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2014
    Aegislash for Ditto FS, learning it all Fighting moves, switching it to another ghost type, (Thus, having no effect on me) Put it to sleep, dream eater and catch it.
    A simpelified method I use is a Rock Smash Slowbro, it doesn't any damage at all, even to level 30s so it's quite nice with such huge def and spdef Poke, and it also carries Hypnosis.

Sotani

Pokemon Breeder Yuki
    Years
  • In past games I've never had a capture pokemon but recently I've used my Raichu's Nuzzle to weaken and paralyze but when she got too high, I started using dedenne so that she wouldn't kill it.

Yuuto

Community Helper~
    Years
  • I've been using a Parasect. With Spore (yay, 100 accuracy sleep) and False Swipes, it's never failed me. I even have Sweet Scent on it for those pesky horde-exclusives.

Pretty much the perfect Pokemon for the job, in my opinion.

Marionz

New to 6th Gen
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2013
    gallade seems to be a perfect candidate for being a dedicated capturer so i chose him :)

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    If a dedicated Capture Pokémon is a False Swipe user, then yes. The Marowak wasn't out for the last set (I used Quick Balls), but I have used it. Axew also learns False Swipe on levelup, so I now have two that can do that.

That said, if I need them, I usually have status moves with me. I can use Nuzzle to paralyze, or Hypnosis for sleep (note to self: equip Wide Lens).

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • I use Watchog. Superfang + Hypnosis. Don't matter how strong the other pokemon is Super Fang will always do half damage.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I have a Smeargle who I'm trying to teach Spore, False Swipe, Mean Look and Oder Sleuth. This is very time consuming and tedious.
    Take the users to one of the restaurant battles in Lumiose City. Put the Spore user out with Smeargle, don't worry about winning in two turns, and just hope that Spore goes first.

Years
  • I just left my Venosaur with Sleep Powder. My Braixen has Fire Spin, so not too much damage is taken! Hopefully I catch it before Fire Spin makes it faint! Same thing with Sand Tomb!

Back