• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you have a Mac or PC?

PC or Mac?

• Total voters
    Years
    Windows XP SP3 and Puppy Linux :3
    Linux Pwns and puppy is like one of the fastest operating systems that can still do everything I need like Web browsing but i can install programs like GIMP for graphics =)

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    I own a PC its cool and all,but I'd really love a MacBook Air there so super slim and cool looking and lite weight. Most laptops are very heavy.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Alrighty, first off I must answer these :P

~MACS~ rules!,PCs r crap compared to macs if u ask me

Really? What makes a PC made by Apple and using the MAC OS any better then a PC made by other companies and using the Windows OS?

What makes all of the other computers out there such "crap" compared to an Apple computer?

MAC FTW!!!!!!!!!!!

PC SUX CUZ YOU GET TARGETED FOR VIRUS

I get a lot of "Dude, all the kool games are on PC!"

I only need one PC game...and it's available on Mac! Starcraft rulz!

In general, most software is made for Windows OS's. This is a legitimate flaw I find with Macs, which I will discuss further down.

As for the viruses, I think again, it's due to there is more software on Windows PCs, which I again will explain further down.

I've used both. I've used Windows for the majority of my computer-owning life, and right now I've been using a Mac. I started using a Mac a year ago.

I have to say that I've been much more content using a Mac. It's much more what I want from a personal computer. :D And I find it's much more reliable.

Question: What is so much more reliable about a Mac PC then a Windows PC?

Anyways, onto this.

I've never used a Mac, so I can't really say too much about it. But there are a few things I have to point out.

So many people talk about how much more "secure" Mac is in comparison to Windows. I feel that this is very inaccurate. The reason for the lack of viruses for Macs is because Hackers have a larger amount of people to target when they go after a Windows computer.

As for the software. Yes, I do find an issue with the compatibility. A MAJOR issue. Most software for Windows, you can purchase, and run it on most of the different OS's, and it also doesn't matter who manufactured the computer. With Macs, the software has to be specifically geared for Mac OS, and any Mac components or software, can only be used on an Apple computer and on Mac OS.

Thirdly, and the one that annoys me the most, "performance." Like I said, I've never used a Mac, so I can't say much there. However, I constantly hear about how reliable a Mac is. Okay, I can accept that one, but first tell me, what is so "unreliable" about Windows?

I have used Windows since MS-DOS, and I still have not had the great "unreliability" that many Mac users I know have mentioned. Over 5 OS's, and 8 computers, I have had only a couple of crashes, and almost all of them were my fault.

Alright, onto Windows.

I've been using Windows since plain MS-DOS, and I have had absolutely no real issues. Unlike what so many people, Mac and Windows users complain about, I've seen very few major errors on any of the OS's I've used.

Just on a side note, I'd like to ask, why do people complain about these so called large "memory issues" with XP. I've been using Windows XP since 2003, and I've had no trouble whatsoever with memory.

In more specifics, the infamous Windows XP Media Center 2005 edition, which I'm currently using, is supposedly known to be a large memory eater. However, I've had better performance out of this thing then with any of my previous computers, excluding my Windows 98SE.

So, where do you guys get that from?

Wow...that was a long post for me :P

~Mooshykris

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Question: What is so much more reliable about a Mac PC then a Windows PC?

I've experienced so many .dll errors and the like from my Windows computers, and I seriously have no idea what the hell they mean, and I certainly don't feel like spending my money on some guy that'll tell me what it means, and then fix it for me. I'd rather pay good money for something that I won't ever have a problem with. That's exactly what I got from my Macintosh. I've never had any problems with my iMac, the only issue I've ever had to deal with is stalling, and that comes up on just about any computer. No crashes, no "fatal errors", etc.

Another reliable thing about Macintosh is the manufacturer. Apple makes all of the parts that are the computer. For Windows, you have a bunch of different manufacturers and sometimes the stuff won't properly go together. Apple makes the webcam and microphone built-in for your Macintosh computer, for example.

But honestly, I don't want to have a debate over this. Simply put, I couldn't care less about what you have to say about Windows computers. You like them, good for you! I like Macintosh computers, leave me the hell alone about it. o_o

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    I been using PCs for all of my life. My dad almost got a Mac but he changed his mind.(I was a kid then). And I used them at school. For my understanding back then you can only use Macs for making newspapers/yearbooks, but the times has changed. You can use Macs for everything now. But I do like PCs better.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 2, 2012
    I have both.

Well to be technical I have a PC, but I have Leopard installed on it, with the OSx86 project, it took some work considering my computer shouldn't really run it (VIA motherboard) but it does so I am happy :P.

If someone was to give me £5000 to spend on a computer right now I would go for a Mac Pro, why? Because I can run Windows and Mac OS X on it happily and the Mac Pro is the only mac that is easily upgradeable.

The one problem that Windows faces is that it is so popular that almost every commercially sold computer runs it. This means that there needs to be plenty of drivers to cover every piece of hardware (usually built by the hardware companies) this adds to HDD space and so slowing down the computer. Also computer builders like Dell go for the low buy, high sell option so the OS can be running on very low specs that it will only just take.

Mac on the other hand is built by Apple (and maybe a few other certified companies) so they can choose the hardware to suit the software. The software can also be designed to suit the hardware. Because they have this option they can build high spec machines, of course with the price tag, but have that Mac running for 5 years+ before the hardware is too crap. For example, when I first put the Mac OS on my PC I had 512MB of RAM (I'm poor!) and the OS ran reasonably smooth on that, a reboot every so often kept it going. I now have 2GB of RAM and it runs better, naturally. But my point is that the OS runs fine on a low spec machine let alone a high spec machine. Because Apple have this leniency to say what they want to do with the hardware/software they can plan.

Windows builders don't have that option.

Years
    I love the compatibility that PCs can provide. The tendancy for viruses is not great, but with a decent AntiVirus, you are more likely to have a hardware problem than a virus.

I personally prefer Windows, although Vista just annoys me. Apple is not always so reliable with hardware, if I remember correctly, there was a whole batch of Powerbooks with batteries that blew up. As well as batches of faulty iPods. I realise everyone does this, but Macs aren't flawless.

Master Jecht

Hmmm..
    Years
    well the first computer i ever had was a MAC. I didn't really like it that much. So I have been a PC guy. I actually just bought a new PC the other day. I'm still adjusting to vista.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I have used Windows since MS-DOS, and I still have not had the great "unreliability" that many Mac users I know have mentioned. Over 5 OS's, and 8 computers, I have had only a couple of crashes, and almost all of them were my fault.
    Was ME one of those 5 operating systems? That one was just AWFUL. I still get uncomfortable just thinking about it because I hated it so much. It was unlikely for me to be using it any longer than an hour before it'd BSOD me and I'd have to restart. I was SO happy to downgrade to 2000, haha. :[

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    I've experienced so many .dll errors and the like from my Windows computers, and I seriously have no idea what the hell they mean, and I certainly don't feel like spending my money on some guy that'll tell me what it means, and then fix it for me. I'd rather pay good money for something that I won't ever have a problem with. That's exactly what I got from my Macintosh. I've never had any problems with my iMac, the only issue I've ever had to deal with is stalling, and that comes up on just about any computer. No crashes, no "fatal errors", etc.

Another reliable thing about Macintosh is the manufacturer. Apple makes all of the parts that are the computer. For Windows, you have a bunch of different manufacturers and sometimes the stuff won't properly go together. Apple makes the webcam and microphone built-in for your Macintosh computer, for example.

But honestly, I don't want to have a debate over this. Simply put, I couldn't care less about what you have to say about Windows computers. You like them, good for you! I like Macintosh computers, leave me the hell alone about it. o_o

My ultimate opinion is to each his own. I'm just annoyed at all of the "reliable" talk, because that's ALWAYS the thing Mac people use to try to 1-Up Windows. When in fact, not EVERYONE has issues with it.

Haha, and just to let anyone know, I don't dislike Apple Computers in general (Apple IIe ftw :P), I just prefer the variety, and the Windows OS.

Also L'Viaquez, I am not trying to attack you, I'm just bothered that it seems that so often there's nothing wrong with critizing all of the problems with Windows, but then people get annoyed when someone points out a flaw in Mac.

Was ME one of those 5 operating systems? That one was just AWFUL. I still get uncomfortable just thinking about it because I hated it so much. It was unlikely for me to be using it any longer than an hour before it'd BSOD me and I'd have to restart. I was SO happy to downgrade to 2000, haha. :[

:P

I've used MS-DOS, Windows 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows XP, if you count the editions: MS-DOS, Windows 3.11, 95, 98, 98SE, XP, and XP Media Center 2005 Edition.

No, I've never owned an Me computer. I have used one once, and note, I'm not saying it wasn't a bad OS, but when I used it, I didn't crash in the first 5 minutes (or at all for that matter) :P.

Mooshykris

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    My ultimate opinion is to each his own. I'm just annoyed at all of the "reliable" talk, because that's ALWAYS the thing Mac people use to try to 1-Up Windows. When in fact, not EVERYONE has issues with it.

Haha, and just to let anyone know, I don't dislike Apple Computers in general (Apple IIe ftw :P), I just prefer the variety, and the Windows OS.

Also L'Viaquez, I am not trying to attack you, I'm just bothered that it seems that so often there's nothing wrong with critizing all of the problems with Windows, but then people get annoyed when someone points out a flaw in Mac.

I've used MS-DOS, Windows 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows XP, if you count the editions: MS-DOS, Windows 3.11, 95, 98, 98SE, XP, and XP Media Center 2005 Edition.

No, I've never owned an Me computer. I have used one once, and note, I'm not saying it wasn't a bad OS, but when I used it, I didn't crash in the first 5 minutes (or at all for that matter) :P.

Mooshykris

Just wanna point out something minute (because I'm like that, y'know) which is the fact that DOS isn't really Windows. D: So yeah, technically you've gone through 4 iterations of Windows.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Just wanna point out something minute (because I'm like that, y'know) which is the fact that DOS isn't really Windows. D: So yeah, technically you've gone through 4 iterations of Windows.

I know it's not Windows :P I just count it along with the OS's :P I could go to say Microsoft OS's if I must :P

Mooshykris

Cherrim

Years
    Mooshykris said:

Mooshykris
    I've used all the ones you've listed, plus 2000, ME and Vista and ME has to be the worst operating system ever. :( Considering you didn't own the computer, you were probably doing something pretty basic on it--and it'll usually behave if that's the case. But trying to do something like browse the internet and type up a Word document (and maybe listen to some music)? Whoops, BSOD. So you restart it and go to open Word again and--oh, okay, another BSOD already. Not too fun, haha. I haven't had problems with any other versions of Windows, though.

I want to go back and install 3.11 on something one day. XD I bet I'd die from nostalgia.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    I've used all the ones you've listed, plus 2000, ME and Vista and ME has to be the worst operating system ever. :( Considering you didn't own the computer, you were probably doing something pretty basic on it--and it'll usually behave if that's the case. But trying to do something like browse the internet and type up a Word document (and maybe listen to some music)? Whoops, BSOD. So you restart it and go to open Word again and--oh, okay, another BSOD already. Not too fun, haha. I haven't had problems with any other versions of Windows, though.

I want to go back and install 3.11 on something one day. XD I bet I'd die from nostalgia.

...INSTALL ON SOMETHING?!?!!?!

I still have my Windows 3.11 computer :P

Hahaha, actually, it WAS browsing the internet that was my Me experience. It was at my cousin's house, and they had Me, and they talked like it never crashed at all. Maybe it was just a fluke?

ah well :P

Mooshykris

Cherrim

Years
    *thinks* Well, I know the 3.1 computer was my dad's work laptop and that... went back to his work when they issued new laptops, and by then we had a family computer of our own. I think it had 95, and we gave that one away. So while we still have the disks for some reason, I don't have a 3.11 installation anywhere, baaw.

Anyway, that's weird. Everyone I know who's had ME agrees with me when I say it's the most unreliable and frustrating Windows OS ever. To hear your cousins say it was fine for them makes me wonder why my copy hated me. ;_;

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023

Technically you use unix.

Back