• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you judge users based on their user name?

100marios

Reigning Dork Champion of PC
Years
  • I do a little, actually. For instance, if a person has the username "Aragorn", I'd automatically assume they're a fan of Lord of the Rings... and I'd probably contact them and tell them how I obsess over it too, hehe. Usernames often reflect the actual person's own interests.

Then, there are some names that are brimming with originality. Because of this, I can tell that they're obviously very creative people, and spend a lot of time thinking of the right name for themselves.

Thing is, while you can judge a person by their username, and may just be right about them, there are certain instances where very creative or intelligent people can't think of a name that suits them, and end up with a very common one.... like me!

*people stare at him*
    What!?
    I couldn't think of a username, hehe...
    *twiddles his thumbs*

I do judge people by their username at times, but I always try to find out what they're really like afterwards.

Dizzy

My Father is a Baron!
    Years
  • It totally depends, if there Name is **** my *** then of course I'd judge them but..I'm not like that to anyone else...

*~Ashley~*

♥ Matt
    Years
  • I do sometimes... it's hard not to. But usually I try not to judge... especially since my name is somewhat annoying with all the numbers... but a lot of the time usernames do tell something about the person.

100marios said:
    I do a little, actually. For instance, if a person has the username "Aragorn", I'd automatically assume they're a fan of Lord of the Rings... and I'd probably contact them and tell them how I obsess over it too, hehe. Usernames often reflect the actual person's own interests.
    True, usernames usually reflect the person's interests... except in my case of course! I despise snow, lol.

Dizzy

My Father is a Baron!
    Years
  • snowangel3181988 said:
    I do sometimes... it's hard not to. But usually I try not to judge... especially since my name is somewhat annoying with all the numbers... but a lot of the time usernames do tell something about the person.

True, usernames usually reflect the person's interests... except in my case of course! I despise snow, lol.

Hehe I Hate Snow too, a great New England Trait :)

Purin

Crazy about Pink Hairdos
    Years
  • I don't, having had experience with such a username (shiny_jiggly), but I somewhat feel a little interior with the old name. (You get that feeling that you seem like a newbie all the time.)
    That is one of the reasons why I decided to switch to "Purin", other than it being short and sweet.

Hikaru's Twin

Clinging to Mrs. Christie
    Years
  • I tend not to judge people by their usernames often, only if they're obscene or something immature sounding. Although, if there's a pretty avatar under that name, it attracts me towards replying to that individual's posts or contacting them, possibly.. ^^;

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Not really. There could be the sweetest person of all with a username of: *** **** *******, but if people judge them because of that - they won't know. Even if their name does look like it's been dragged through a hedge backward, I judge people on their actions, not their names.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    One time you have to is if you've banned someone and someone rejoins as *banned name*2 or something. An IP check is done, of course, but usually they're stupid enough to make it so obvious they're back we ban them before they can do anything.

Lizzie

{Tre' pwns j00} XD
    Years
  • lol actuely no, well there's this one person who has a name like 27940320 which kinda annoys me, but otherswise no, at first glance I usually look at their avy's and see their personality there lol

Miyu-chan

.::f l o w e r g i r l::.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 23, 2014
    Sort of... I also like to see things capitalized, for some strange reason... >.>;

Pounce

renai kakumei
    Years
  • yeah, I admit I kind of do it too. I remember people by their avatars as well. it just makes sense to me that a username be able to be read aloud- for instance, if you were talking about that person in real life, it would be a pain to say "abcde23850457234095" or similar.

that and really long names annoy me because they stretch out the box. T_T I think there should be a character limit on usernames, but hey what do I know~

Back