• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do You Keep Your Starter Pokemon??

Do you keep your starter in your team??

• Yes

Votes: 449 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 90 16.7%

• Total voters
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    Oh yes, my starter always stays with me in every version. Except the first time I played Yellow when I went the whole way through with a Mankey that eventually evolved into a Primeape.

elroid

Noob
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2010
    I kept my typlosion to the very end of my gameplay, or at least until i defeated Red. It is one of the 2 pkmn i used in running through the game because i didnt bother to lv the others. For now, it was kept to breed some cyndaquils if some people wants it.

nm legend

Years
  • yea im the same way i cant replace my typlosion unless im doing battle frontier or competitive battling....when i was young i used to beleive my starters were very special and i still do somewhat....im not a the lil nerd that i was lol

xSunlightx

♥ Sinnoh's Sweatheart ♥
    Years
  • I put yes but in a way I'm cheating and a way I'm not. Sometimes I'll keep my starter pokemon out of sheer laziness to replace it (and maybe there's some attachment too). But I don't actually like many starter pokemon (kind of sorta, I love all the first evos of them! buuut after they evolve it's 50/50 whether I like them).

What I've been doing lately is starting with like an 'unofficial' start Pokemon. Trading say a level 5 oddish or whatever to use as my starter pokemon and putting X starter in my PC.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • I usually keep feraligater in my team. He's full of epicness.

That said i usually shelf typhlosion for Entei first chance i get.

Meganium is creepy... Meganium takes 'flower power' one step to far. So i shelf that one first chance i get as well. Choices before migration for grass types are kinda limited so i usually end up with a victrebel as my grass type or i just not include one.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I usually go out of my way to use and plan teams of Pokemon I've never used before. And I've already trained most of the starters several times, so... yeah, sometimes I'll stuff it in the PC early in the game. I get bored of training the same Pokemon over and over again.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I've always kept my starter in SoulSilver. I just never thought up a good enough reason not to have it travel with me. It's the first Pokémon I get in the game, so why not use it right? Plus, I really fancy each of the Johto starters, so I never mind using them. The only thing I do differently is try and train new Pokémon that I catch, so it doesn't seem like an exact repeat of what I did before or it doesn't get boring as fast.

rndm.

Mostly inactive D:
    Years
  • I usually go out of my way to use and plan teams of Pokemon I've never used before. And I've already trained most of the starters several times, so... yeah, sometimes I'll stuff it in the PC early in the game. I get bored of training the same Pokemon over and over again.

Agreed with this.
    In HG, I used Croconaw as a HM slave 'til I got to Blackthorn. There I threw it to a box and used Lickilicky instead.

Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2010
    I feel really guilty if I don't use my starter (the only time I didn't was with Piplup) so I usually do, although now i'm thinking of having a ghost only party D:

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2011
    Nah, I personally don't like starters or legendaries. I tend to keep them for the first few gyms, then trade them.

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2010
    As soon as I reached Goldenrod city, I claimed Chikorita and Cyndaquil from the GTS, which allowed me to play the whole game with the three starters. =D

Back