• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do You Keep Your Starter Pokemon??

Do you keep your starter in your team??

• Yes

Votes: 449 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 90 16.7%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2010
    For the entire game I keep my starter Pokémon. Even if I am not to train it at the time I always set it in the PC (Pokémon Center not PokéCommunity) for awhile.

Lord Yawgmoth

Lord of all Phyrexia
    Years
    Considering Feraligatr is my favorite starter, yes I kept him.
    As for other starters, usually, but occasionally I find a cooler Pokemon and replace them.

Rei

Years
    Typically, yes i do.
    But lately i have been trying very different (sometimes weak) teams to try and beat the game.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
    While I've always used my starter throughout the entire campaign of every single mainstream Pokemon game, HeartGold was the very first instance where I actually replaced my starter with another Pokemon - Meganium with Breloom. Ultimately, Meganium wasn't living up to my expectations (despite it being one of my favorite Pokemon), while I had always wanted to train a Breloom.

Years
    haha, I've kept Torchic starter since I played Sapphire. My Blazekin is older than my DS!

but, I always keep my starters, on all the pokemon games I play.

abood321

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2010
    Yes I keep my starter Pokemons and they are the strongest in my team

~Gary~

PSN: xAzureZePhYr.
    Years
    i hate my starter it sucks!!!!!!!!!!

i love my-lucario,venusaur,dragonite,salamence,swampert and metagross cuz they

are bigger,faster and better

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2011
    I always do.
    It feels like an essential part of the whole Pokemon experience every time.

I don't think I'll see the day when I won't keep the starter.

Years
    I usually keep my starter till the end of the main storyline (beating E4) after that i usually just breed my starter to trade on the GTS and i raise more powerful Pokemon i couldn't get before.

Daikenki

Water Trainer
    Years
    Yes. I always do. It's the first pokemon you start out with. It's the one you take with you through the first routes, doing mediocre tasks for the professor. It's the first one you get to name. It's the first one you get to train. It's the first one to become your friend. It's like your child, your best friend, your first mate.

This is how I feel with my starter. Sure water starters are the intermediate ones, but they've always been my babies. They might not be powerful until their final evolution, but I can't imagine having a team without my starter.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I chose Totodile and he is on my team, but my Macgargo is my main pokemon.

AntiZero

Remember?
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2014
    I HAVE to keep my starter with me at all times. It's usually my strongest Pokemon on my team. :)

Quirky

The satellites are down..
    Years
    I rarely keep my starter, Totodile helps you through the beginning of the game, but Poliwag owns. Same with Chikorita and Oddish/Hoppip. Cyndaquil, can be easily replaced by a Pokemon like Gastly, or even Zubat.

Years
    Normally I do, since my starter's my first ever Pokemon, my strongest, and holds a special place in my heart. However, in my recent SoulSilver run I'm not, just to mix it up a bit. Still, my starter is normally an integral part of my team, at least up until after the Elite Four.

Back