• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you like your family?

maccrash

foggy notion
Years
  • I actually like my family a lot. even though I don't always jive with their beliefs 100% of the time, they're really fun to be around and I always have a good time when I'm visiting them. a couple of my cousins are Annoying, though.

Years
  • I do not. I love my mother and my sister, however I want to stay far away from them. They are very dysfunctional people. My biological family, I don't even love them. We have nothing in common, they relentlessly try to bully me, and are even more dysfunctional than my adoptive family.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • They're alright. They're better when you don't live with them though.

My sister is a horrible person though. Won't go into too much detail but she's basically one of the worst people I ever met...

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • Of course I do. I mean, I wouldn't really say I don't. My mom tends to get on my nerves at times, and they both fail to understand me as well though. It still isn't enough to really make me hate them or anything. I don't talk or see my extended family because they live too far away. My mom has also disowned two of her sisters because well... they aren't very bright and basically they all got into this scuffle with her. I don't have much a family on her side other than her adopted mother (my grandmother). Most of the people on my dad's side passed away before I knew who they were. So, I only have cousins and an aunt still alive on his side. My family is okay, but like any family... they get on your nerves.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    My family is great from my Ma's side. I get on the best with my Ma and my Uncle, because my Ma has looked after me ever since day 1, and has always been there for when I needed her the most. I don't really like my Da, or my Da's side of the family. My Da is nothing but an alcoholic, and always thinks he's right when he's proven wrong, and shows aggression. There's really no need for it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    My immediate family yes. Only one that really gets on my nerves is my sister, but thankfully she moved out years ago (9 years older than me) though I still find her pretty annoying. My extended family is iffy. I have a cousin I'm really close with and some other cousins that are enjoyable. Besides that I find most of my other family members to be annoying.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I think I'm the only one who feels this way but I don't like my family. I really don't want to socialize with them or talk to them much. So, do you like your family?

Nah you're definitely not alone. My immediate family I can interact with, I make jokes and chime in on their conversations. Most of the time I think they are talking about dumb things but I guess after you've been together for so long any topic is a good one. So I don't make snide comments I just roll with it.

My extended family I've never been too too fond of. My dad's side of the family is mostly comprised of a bunch of arse-holes. My uncle's an opinionated dick and my cousin has chilled out last I talked to him but used to be a super jock and I was always a video game nerd at heart. Mum's side of the family is very Quebecois and while I do speak French there is an obvious culture barrier where I don't feel entirely comfortable inside. But at least I have Quebec blood I can't imagine how it must feel for my dad. They are welcoming people though. It doesn't help that most of my cousins are a good 8-10 years older than me, always made socializing hard. I usually end up just talking to my dad when we visit my French family.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I think I'm the only one who feels this way but I don't like my family. I really don't want to socialize with them or talk to them much. So, do you like your family?

I'm 21 and I'm still at this awkward phase where I don't know how much my extremely Catholic family would still accept me if they knew that I'm not straight and I don't believe in their God.

But from the way they complain about others' beliefs not being the "right way to live" around me, I'm not willing to find out any time soon.

Like marz mentioned, too, my sisters and cousins are all at least 9 years older than me, and they're all completely different people than I am. That's always made conversation hard to begin with.

So no, OP, you're definitely not alone. ;)

Years
  • I basically grew up with my father's side of the family so we get along pretty well, even the ones that I dislike are not that bad (well, except for my uncle but that's because of what he does). Most of us grew up near the same time, with my oldest cousin being 23 and my youngest one (from my childhood) just turning 18.

My mother's side of the family is a different story though. I talk to a few of them but most of us don't really get along that well, just tolerate each other enough to not get into fights when near each other. Most of the family on her side is either way over my age (most being 28+) or very young (16-) so I don't really have anyone to talk to without the generation gap being pretty bad.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

It's fair to say I get along well with my immediate family. They are all nice people, however my siblings are very immature and my father and I have disagreements/different points of view a lot. I don't spend too much time with my extended family, so I don't really know them well enough to comment on if I like them or not. But yeah, I consider myself very lucky, because while some of my extended family is a little shady, I don't see them much, but I am surrounded by nice, normal, mainly happy people and haven't yet had to grieve over a close ones death.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I can't really say that I do. My twin is pretty cool, and we do get along most of the time, but there are times that we just want to strangle each other.

As for the rest of my family, my dad is very opinionated, and the only things he talks about are politics and religion. If you think I'm joking, my oldest brother asked my dad if he could get a smartphone, and my dad went on a forty minute rant explaining how smartphones are just tools by the government to peek into your personal life because they aren't following jesus and are bad people. I wish I was exaggerating.

My mom isn't bad, but I just shut my parents out years ago, so I don't really talk to her. Like my dad, she likes to talk about religion, but not to my dad's extent.

My oldest brother acts like a five year old and has to be the center of attention, so I really don't want to be around him. He still likes to fart and giggle at the noise.

Years
  • Meh. My mom is often times immature, and we argue a lot over little things. My dad is alright, but his last 3 jobs have been third shifts, so I don't get to see him much during the week. I get along great with my dad's side of the family, as my cousins on that side are close to my age (10-19), so I can socialize with a lot of them. My mom's side of the family is fairly older than my dad's side, as 3 of my 4 cousins on that side have graduated high school, so there's a big generation gap. But, overall I don't have negative feelings for any of my family members anymore.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I really like my immediate family, but I have mixed feelings about my extended family. That being said, I know lots of people who really don't get along with any portion of their family (especially their immediate family). Sometimes things improve with time. Other times, they don't, but you'll spend less time around your family as the years go by, which can make things easier (or at least reduce the number of conflicts).

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Nope. People expect one to love one's family, but it's really down to chance whether one'll actually like whatever life they're born into. Friends are a lot nicer, since they can be chosen.

Last edited:

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    No. The only person I like is my sister. She and I are the only ones who have something in common and are able to communicate like functional normal people. We share interests, and she was actually the direct cause for a lot of them. But we're not exactly super best friends either.

My parents, I do not like. We have next-to-nothing in common and they contributed to most of my personal issues and crappy childhood. My dad's all right, I suppose, but it's my mom I really don't like. She only cared about keeping me physically alive, and never actually gave me any sort of comfort or encouragement. As long as I wasn't dead, it was all good.

Whenever I would try to tell her about a problem, she would freak out and only make things worse. Panicky. Her voice is one of the most annoying things I've ever heard. And everytime I see her, my body unconsciously tenses up. It's because I expect her to randomly criticize a part of my body and damage my body image even more. She likes to do that.

Also, we don't even speak the same language. Literally. Other than my sister, my parents are from another country, so they have limited English skills. It's very difficult to communicate with them because although their language was technically my first, I have since far surpassed it with my English skills and am not really fluent at it. My mom often misunderstands words, due to a mixture of not being a native English speaker, being an idiot, and generally not paying attention. I would say that she is definitely one of the worst mothers to exist, honestly. It doesn't sound so bad from what I've described, but there's just so much more that is horrible about her and I just don't even know how to put a lot of it to words because I'm too used to it to realize that some of it goes on. I just know the feeling of unpleasantness.

A more accurate word is that I appreciate what my family has done for me. I'm glad I exist and that they have indeed made sure that I have a roof/food/all those survival basics available, as well as working internet. But I can't honestly even say I feel love for them. I just don't have enough in common with them to form even a friendship. Only my sister.

Now that I've managed to become more independent from them with my fiance and I handling our own finances, I can say that I can't wait until I can move away.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • I really love my family. Sure my little brother tends to get mad at me for being immature, sure my little sister is really pessimistic, sure my youngest brother insults me a lot, but it actually makes home really fun to be.

I mean, I can't say much about my cousins. I mean, they're going through college when I'm still at elementary. They got married when I'm still at junior high and high school. Sure I have a few about the same age as me, but they all talk about boyfriends and all those kinds of girl talk, which I don't find myself fancy about.

But all in all they're all nice people, so I'm happy to be born in a family like this. I mean, after hearing my best friend's huge ****ton of familial problems that started since 2 years ago, I'm honestly really grateful. :>

Back