• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you look at the keyboard when you're typing?

s0nido

turn up the engine
Years
  • I don't look at the keyboard usually. I alternate between looking at the screen and keyboard, but sometimes when I'm really trying to spell properly, I look at the keyboard to see if I'm typing well.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Most of the time, I usually just look at the screen when I'm typing, though sometimes I look down at the Keyboard, usually when I can't seem to spell a word right or something. XD; I can definitely type faster without looking at the Keyboard than when I'm looking at the Keyboard though. :3

damz

Ultranerd
    Years
  • I never look at anything when I'm typing, really..
    For example, as I'm typing this I'm staring at the gardevoir T-Sky has in her sig above me..

I'm too tuned into my keyboard. I know exactly when i make a mistake, and i almost never bother looking before i hit the 'post' button.
    Suppose that's what happens when you are a nerd, and in your near-senior years at High School. In fact, yesterday i had to type up a 1400 word paper on what 2 poems i found most interesting out of this book..

Heh. My keyboard is a laptop one, and my laptop is only 3 months old, but it's already missing an Enter key and the buttons are already looking a little worn..

My nerdish tendencies are usually pretty hard to pick up on when i post though, because i absolutely cannot stand bad grammar and/or semi-illiterate people who don't take the time and effort to post up properally, even if it does take a little extra time and even if you have to keep looking at the keyboard to make sure you're pressing the right buttons..

Sorry i'm ranting, but i just figure it's easy to make a few long posts bout me and my personality, than to make about 100 small posts.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I don't look at the keyboard to type (which can lead to some amazing typos when I start away from home row by accident). I haven't in years. I do use my peripheral vision somewhat, though. I think I do, anyway, just to make sure my hands are in the generally right place as I type. I type better when there's light than I do when it's dark so I must look somehow. I just know I never usually need to move my eyes from the screen unless I've typo'd a word about 6 times in a row. 8|

I admit I do have to look when I switch computers sometimes though. I've been using my netbook almost exclusively at home for months so when I sign on my netbook the keyboard layout is so different that I find myself correcting my finger positions a LOT. x_X

The Red Chain

I've been typing for many years.. so I know where all the keys are and don't need to look at it.
    When I get a new keyboard, or am using another friend's computer I occasionally need to look down cause I'm not used to it, and need to figure out the layout before I can 'speed type' without looking down.

Terrain

|distinction.2009-15|
    Years
  • I think after those years that I typed with the good ol' QWERTY, I can say that I normally don't look at the keyboard while typing.

I seemed to get used to typing without looking all the time, though I could say that my peripheral vision still somewhat percepts the keyboard. Proof is that like Lightning, I type better with the lights on that when they're off.

I also look when I see a typo in the screen sometimes, or when I'm not used to the keyboard's symbol placing (certain keyboards have different placing of...er...keys, I guess). Also, I glance at keys that aren't letters (symbols, CTRL or Shift) once in awhile.

Soari

Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 26, 2015
    I can type pretty fast so no need for me to look at the keyboard ;P

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I only look at the keyboard if it's a new keyboard that I'm not used to. Like when I got my new laptop, it feels so different from my old one that I had to look at it and get my bearings sometimes. Now I'm fine and I never look at it.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
  • I don't really think I look at the keyboard; maybe only a quick glance once in a while.

I took keyboarding and advanced keyboarding classes last year, so I know all the keys by heart and can type super fast without having to look down. :)

Years
  • Sometimes, I'll forget where a certain key is, and I'll look down for a second. Though most of the time, I don't need to, because even if I forget it for a second, I'll remeber it soon. ^^

Years
  • Usually not. For the letters, I know where they are; I don't need to. The only two times I really have to look down is to find symbols like $ and & (I'm not very good at remembering where they are), or sometimes, I have to look down to make sure I'm putting passwords in right.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • Yes. I still look at the keyboard before I type.

I'm amazed at the talented people who don't need to look.

red fraction

solitude is your only friend
    Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2009
    I do both. I usually watch the screen but I always check on my hands to make sure they are typing everything right.

Back