• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you picture people as their avatar/theme?

Lucent

✿ border of life
    Years
    For people who draw depictions of themselves, like Siggy, I usually see them as their drawings (minus the fact that some of their depictions have "anime-coloured" hair, though it could actually be dyed irl), but, because I've been on enough forums where people have all sorts of avvies, I don't see them as their avvie.

I mean, really, on one site, if you didn't have a special account you had to use the site's avvies. And there were plenty that were just items. So... Yeah XD

Just my opinion, though~

The Red Chain

Considering themes tend to reflect the personality of the person behind the screen I usually do, in a sense, picture them as whomever/whatever is in their theme.
    Even when I see what someone looks like I still continue to picture them according to their theme.
    Unless of course their theme actually features a real pic of them, then I have no other choice but to picture that. ]:

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I do picture people as their themes, but really only if they're people I see around a lot and people that don't completely switch up their themes too often. Everyone else, I don't really picture at all. Also, I don't really go into the post-a-pic-of-yourself thread, perhaps 'cause I don't intend to post a pic of myself, nor am I curious enough, so I still don't know what anyone actually looks like.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    Sort of. I picture Ray as that pointing person he used to have in his sig. And Devi as that... person/thing in her avatar. I picture Kinarii as having a long tail. <3

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I relate an avatar to a member, the definition of avatar being an image/object that represents a being; but I don't necessarily see them as that thing, especially if I know who/what it is/from.

Vie

Years
    I usually don't, I do picture signomi exactly like her avatar, though. Her voice matches the picture perfectly. xD
    But I don't do it with other people, I'm just surprised when I see them on pictures..sometimes. :]

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    I usually end up doing so unless I have seen a real picture of them. For example, I imagine Signomi as her character that always stars her theme since I never saw a picture of her. :\

Yrie

I'm done here. Ciao~
    Years
    It depends, if their avatar involves a real person (excluding people like Bill Kaulitz who'se totally recognizable anyway), then sometimes, though for the most part, no, I picture them a certain way in my head based on their personality.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    No, not really. I don't think anyone would picture me as a swirling pattern from Australia. That would be weird.
    If someone actually put up a picture of themselves up as their avatar, then maybe I could imagine them talking as that person.

charizard_maa

Queen Chair
    Years
    Fact is that for the majority of people, I have no material to shape my mental image of them other than the themes they may have. Believe it or not, a lot of people have a particular style and choice of themes that make them rather easy to pick out.

So yes, I picture a number of people on this forum as their avatar/themes. And I know various people do the same with me.

I see you as your avatar. For as long as I been around and seeing you on PC, you have had the same 'person' as your theme but different art styles.

Yeah, I see people as their avatars. Even if I do see pictures. I guess I just connect their avatars to who they look like. I remember having a dream of a member from PC where we met and I saw their avatar as themselves.

Now I wonder, do people think of a me as a charmander in a charizard suit or a girl seeing that those were my last two themes. Hmm...

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 17, 2012
    For me, it really depends. If I've seen a picture of them, I'll almost always associate them with their picture. Siggy seems to be the only exception to that. I still picture her as her character. If I haven't seen a picture, I'll typically form some sort of image based on their posts. I tend to not pay much attention to their avatars/themes when forming those images. I have no idea why.
    You all seriously see me as a giant fire-type pokémon? Time for a theme change. XD
    Yep, I do, actually. No matter how strange it may sound. XD Though, there is a way to change that. XD *shot*

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    Although I don't picture them as the avatar itself, I do relate it to the user's personality. If someone's avatar is always gloomy and depressing, I tend to think the user is somewhat the same in real life.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 10, 2015
    When Crissy had Lady Gaga as her theme, I sort of pictured her that way, and because I know a blonde Crissy in real life too .. xD
    But I don't now.. because the person in her theme now has blue hair .. x3

Years
    I do this all the time. o.o When someone changes their avatar/theme it takes me a bit to recognise who it is again. Although I hope people don't see me as a weird smiley thing. That I need to change. =\

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    Yeah, pretty much since I'm not that intriuged by the Post your Picture thread. I've even imagined a Trapinch sitting at the computer and typing....xD

I'm not planning on posting a pic of myself until I am at least 18...that's when you're not a minor, right?

Back