• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you prefer to watch Anime in Japanese with English subs or in English?

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2016
    I also prefer english subs because sometimes the dub will change things and that can get annoying and some english voices are petty bad compared to the subbed one (Sakon from Naruto. His dub voice is horrible to me)

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Depends.

It's too hard to say what I like better because I judge each show on a case-by-case basis. Some shows like Mai Hime have horrible dubs, but some shows like Fullmetal Alchemist and Fruits Basket have what I consider to be dubs better than the originals.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I second what Ryoutarou said about the Fruits Basket dub. It was an excellent dub that one.

Anyway, I usually end up watching subs, simply because I don't have a wait a week in between to watch the episodes, and that I can watch when it's convinient to me, and not Cartoon Network.

But I don't have a preference. If the dub or sub is good, then I don't particularly mind watching it in either Japanese or English. (Although if the dub is painful and poorly done, that's a different story.) However, usually the case is, if I watch it first in Japanese, then I'll prefer it in Japanese, and if I watch it first in English, I'll prefer it in English. I like voices that I'm accustomed to. xD

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    For the most part, I prefer watching anime in my native language. Japanese is not my native language. Make the connection.

Charon

unscrupulous~
    Years
    I'm not too fussed. I like subbed, because it feels 'authentic' - but I'm often WAY too lazy to read subtitles.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Depends on the quality of dub and sub respectively. A good to decent dub beats a crappy fansub (as in, one that goes "sry, dunno' how to translate this." half the time and spouts gibberish the other half) any day. On the other hand, when the dub is so horrible that it causes physical pain to watch and twists the characters to the point where the original is basically not even the same character as their dub counterpart (Yu-gi-oh! GX, I'm looking at yoooou <.<) then I won't touch the dub with a ten-foot barge pole. In those cases, I'd sooner watch Japanese raws and try to make sense of what's going on than look at the brutally violated -- ahem, responsibly dubbed -- version.

In general, I tend to go for sub over dub if I have a choice in the matter. Series, much like books, are usually best in their original language, I've found. :3

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Usually subs, although i do enjoy watching certain dubs, the Higurashi dub ended up pretty good, not perfect, but still good.

Um, actually i tend to watch raw over anything...actually in some cases Raw w/ NicoVideo comments so ya

Ichikool

D/P Lover
    Years
    • Age 32
    • NY
    • Seen Feb 26, 2018
    It doesn't really depend on the show for me... I prefer the subs all the time. Dubs often change some things and they're annoying sometimes. Not all dubs are bad though, but usually prefer subtitles.

Sometimes when I see the subtitled vesion first before I see it dubbed, then I realize how terrible it is. Like Rozen Maiden and Chobits. I watched those shows in subs first then I saw the dub and... "W-w-where's the desu?!"
    The voices sucked. o_x

Super Duder

Super Badass
    Years
    I prefer japanese with english subs.
    English is annoying.
    They have wack voice duders.
    For example, the english naruto voice is annoying.

Naruto is suppose to be annoying.
    But cool annoying. The english one is
    just tear your brains out madness.

Man of Faith

My, my, Doctor Saunders.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2022
    As much as I would like to just watch, I'd rather have subs.

The english voices are almost always annoying and they even change stuff... >.>

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Actually, there are some dubs that I prefer over the originals. Like Trigun. 8D;

Anyway, I have to admit that I tend to prefer Japanese with English subtitles if only for the subtitles. I like reading what people say before they say it since I don't have to pay attention as much. I can read it and look away if need be (good for when I'm watching anime while multitasking or talking to others). :x I don't like having to listen to everything, which is imperative when there's no subtitles or closed captioning.

Most dubs now are really good, though, so I don't mind them. It's actually pretty neat watching both and seeing which you like better. :D I just... prefer to have subtitles to read. XD; (I'd watch in English with subs on, but sometimes the script in the subtitles and the lines said by the actors differ slightly and that drives me absolutely crazy, so I don't. :\)

Pikabloo

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    If given the choice, I wouldn't mind either. Although, it's just more convenient for me to watch anime in Japanese subbed in English, since the anime they show where I live are either Japanese with Thai subtitles, or dubbed in Thai. The anime DVDs they sell are also in subbed or dubbed in Thai, which pretty much limits my choice. Although I don't mind watching anime with no subtitles, most of the time, I prefer to know what the people are saying xD

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    It matters for me. I care about the voice actors and how the voices sound and all that. Usually, it's really good in Japanese so I'll watch the Japanese version for that reason. But companies like FUNimation, Viz, Geneon, and Bandai(Bandai sometimes) all do really good jobs. If it's in english and the dubbing is really good, of course I'm gonna watch the English version. I tend to not finish reading the line before it disappears when it's in Japanese anyway XD;

So... I guess it depends on how well the dub turns out~

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I don't know about you crazy kids, but whatever I'm watching, I prefer it to be in English so I can understand it. I don't really watch anime much anymore, so it's not a problem.
    Cowboy Bebop and The Big O, the only ones I really like have sterling dubs.

Tamaki

☆ Puh puh puh poker face ☆
    Years
    It depends on the anime. If the English dub is good, I watch it because it's easier than reading subtitles. Like Naruto, I love the English voices. On the other hand, I freakin' hate Yuki Sohma's English voice in Fruits Basket and refuse to watch it in English >.>

Back