• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you prefer to watch Anime in Japanese with English subs or in English?

She-Elf

Nyaa :3
    Years
    I prefer it in japanese, and with norwegian subs, but english workes as well ^^ So japanese with English subs, since that was the question :)

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    I love how so many people in this thread group all dubs together as bad. There are bad dubs, yes, but there a lot of good dubs too.

Anyways, it really depends for me. If I know an anime has no chance of getting a dub, I'll watch subs, but I've been more of a dub person lately.

Lokhlan

Formerly "Tendo"
    Years
    If the show I am watching has horrible english dubbing then I prefer the original over english subs. However, if the english dubbing is excellent (Fullmetal Alchemist) then I have no issues with devoting that entire series to the english dubbing.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    I usually don't mind ether, but some english ones are ugh!
    So jap+subs is the one I usually go...

I truly don't mind ether though...

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
    It depends. I can't find Pokemon in Japanese so I've never heard their original voices to compare...but Pokemon's voices aren't actually -horrible-.

Fruits Basket is one anime that I cannot stand to watch in English. No matter what. It's just horrible. You can't even hear Yuki speaking for one thing and Tohru's dubber sounds like she's trying too hard to get the "cutesy anime" girl voice. And Kyo, my dear Kyo...his voice is awful.

I won't even go into other anime's...so in conclusion I watch anime in Japanese whenever I can, even if subtitles aren't avaliable. I can understand most of Japanese but I just can't speak it! lol.

Does anyone know why the Pokemon DVD's don't have Japanese as a language choice? It just bugs me.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Almost all the time dubbed.
    The english voices in Deathnote are terrible compared to japanese.
    Ryuzaki sounds like a politician.
    But some english voices are better
    Example:Ryuk from Deathnote

kasumi_chan_x

Nevermore
    Years
    Most to all english dubs are horid...example Naruto's english voice...agh!
    Though...I do like Full Metal Alchemist in English.
    All in all, the subs are just fine with me :)

Aizuke

[b]long sword style[/b]
    Years
    I watched anime in Japanese with english subs.

If I knew japanese, I would watch them without the subs.

I use to watched them dubbed, but since I watch alot of anime not dubbed yet, I've realised that anime sounds much better in it's own language.

Tadano_nika

Mononoke
    Years
    Japanese with english subs. or without if the plot is not too difficult.
    almost all english voices make my ears bleed. not to mention the dutch ones...

Back