• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Do you regret putting time and effort into B/W? (No spoilers please)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    This only applies for those who have played B/W and know at least a bit of what B2W2 has to offer. But yeah, a question I was wondering... now with everything in mind of what's in B2W2, do you regret all the effort you've put towards shiny hunting, breeding (both are somewhat easier in B2W2), the time spent to trade older Pokemon to B/W, and so on, without spoilering much of what the games offer.

Basically do you think spending all the time on B/W was worth it when ultimately B2W2 has just outdone most of what B/W had, other than its storyline? Discuss your thoughts.

Keep in mind that people don't want spoilers here, and this is a B2W2 spoiler free section so if you want to refer to spoilers in here, then put them in spoiler tags for other users (or alternatively discuss in its proper section!) n_n

Asuf

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    I've caught all Pokemon, did every event in the game (from Zorua to obtaining a cell battery) and had a neat collection of shinies and events, I don't regret it at all! However I traded it away, for some reason I thought I wouldn't need it again. -_- ... So I recently bought a new copy and working from square one trying to get where I once was before.

Had I known having your copy of Black meant more features in Black 2, I never would have traded it away, oh well. I never expected those kind of 'ideas' to be used in BW2 (trying not to spoil anything :P )

Sakura Rain

→Let's laugh at everything!
    Years
  • Noooot really, tbh. When B/W first came out, I thought that they were literally the best pokemon games ever. Except for Crystal lskdfsdl. How was I to know that B/W2 would outdo them in pretty much every regard? Besides, I couldn't have skipped B/W entirely and went straight to B/W2, because B/W were released in 2011 (can't remember exact date) and B/W2 aren't going to be released stateside until, like, October. So that would be almost a whole year without Pokemon and that is a no-no.

I don't regret MM'ing my first shinies on Black, because it's gonna be suuuuper easy to get them now, and I can say I got mine back when it was relatively difficult.

glaaaad I read your whole post. I was about to bring out the big spoilers, slkfjsdfls.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I didn't put much effort into dex completion or anything post game in BW as I did in DP so I have no regrets for whatever small time I did put into it. I was going to put some more time awhile back, but at some point I lost interest. So the effort didn't seem there in the first place.

And if I truly love a game then for me it doesn't matter if there is a bigger better version of it I still had a fun and enjoyable time playing that previous game regardless. I love pokemon and have loved pokemon for years so for me I have absolute no regrets in any pokemon game.

Raichupacabra

Villain
    Years
  • Pokemon Black is probably the best game out in the states at the moment. I have never regret spending my time on that game. And the thing about the shinies, it makes them more valuable in my opinion if they were harder to get. What would be more valuable - a shiny that took days/months to get or a free handout shiny?

Last edited:

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • There was the feeling of "awww man, i have to capture all the pokemon AGAIN?" but then I realize it's just the second part of the games and I can just transfer my Pokemon to B2W2 when I get the chance to do so. I've caught and bread many Pokemon in my White (especially my Eeveelution collection haha), as well as understood what Unova really is, we'll use that knowledge in the next game, so that way we'll know what's coming next as well as expect the new.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I don't regret anything! I beat the Elite Four with all the Unova Pokemon, and don't really need to do it again, despite there being new formes. And I was working on my Dex, but never got around to finishing, so it won't hurt to start anew in B2W2. Plus it gives me a chance to have my shiny RNG'd Pokemon not go to waste. I can just trade them over to EV and for Dex purposes. No losses here. Besides, we knew we'd get a third game. Or two. lol

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    "Do you regret putting time & effort into B/W?"

What kind of ridiculous question is that, Nica?

All the time that I've spent on my White game is absolutely worth it, as since I've got 2 DSes, I've got no problems with breeding any Pokémon that I want on my second go, then once B/W2 get released, I can simply send them over & have a hay day from there.

It's what I've done in the previous generations as well.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • The only thing I regret is transferring all of my Pokemon straightaway to my BW games so then I couldn't restart them D: They were just sitting there postgame for a while. :[ I also regret transferring all of my in game battling teams to my Black version when there really isn't anything to do postgame in BW (imo, battling). Because now I'm just going to have to transfer them all to one of my BW2 games so I can use them in the World Tournament :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I don't regret training up a bunch of Pokemon in the original B/W. I can always battle with them in the Battle Subway (or Random matchup, if that's available) until B2/W2 come. A few weeks or months before B2/W2 come, I'll be trading over new level 1 Pokemon based on my past breeding projects from B/W to B2/W2.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    Nah, I had a lot of fun playing Black (and indeed, I'm still playing it, breeding some stuff for people and working on completing my dex), so I don't regret it at all, even though B2W2 (from what I've heard/seen) looks much better.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Nah, I had a lot of fun playing Black (and indeed, I'm still playing it, breeding some stuff for people and working on completing my dex), so I don't regret it at all, even though B2W2 (from what I've heard/seen) looks much better.
    This basically summarizes my feelings. :3 BW was a lot of fun and, although it had some down points like post-game appeal, I don't regret playing it at all. I've played it over and over just for the brilliant story haha. I don't actually know much about B2W2 at all (I'm trying not to spoil it for when I get it :3) but I've heard that breeding and shiny hunting are easier, which I actually find pretty disappointing. There's no challenge if they're made too easy and the Pokémon that are obtained as a result aren't going to be as unique and wonderful since there'll be tonnes of them :/ So this also makes me glad I did this stuff on BW rather than waiting for B2W2. :3

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    I've never delved into the post-game, nor did I invest any time into trying to complete my Pokedex, so there's nothing for me to 'regret,' so to speak. But I certainly don't regret putting time into all my multiple playthroughs. I thoroughly enjoyed the games as a whole, and it was fun being able to be more familiar with all the new Unova Pokemon, the region and the characters that live there.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2012
    No way. I can't think of a single reason why you should regret putting time and effort into one game just because another game is on it's way. If anything, there are a ton of more positive things about playing a game beforehand. You can easily prep for your planned teams, breed, and then trade them over.

Last edited:

KyokuseiXRyusei

DenCabe! :3
    Years
  • Yes! I put a LOT of effort into Pokemon Black; leveling up every single Pokemon to level 100, getting all Legendary Pokemon offered, going through events, etc etc. I must admit, I am completely satisfied with this game. Nice storyline. Admirable Quality. Legitt Pokemon. I've got to say, this game is my favorite right now and definitely beats previous Pokemon Main-series games. Yeah, I'm committed now.:cer_nod:

Ultimate Uchiha

Switchin' It Up
    Years
  • Not yet, but as soon as I get my hands on White 2 I will. I've spent over 300 hours on my White file and have over 400 Pokemon (462 to be exact) and when I by White 2 in October, I guarantee I won't even pick up White again.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Nope. I enjoyed every minute, 7740 of the infact, on Black. It was a great experience.

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
    Years
  • I'm still putting time into the game and I don't regret it! It was a nice intro to the Pokemon world and I learned to love breeding, collecting, and stat raising. I think the only game I regret putting too much time into is WoW (6 years). I do hope that I am at least able to trade my Pokemon to BW2 (with the help of a friend) though..

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I believe there are some Pokémon not found in B2/W2; Bulbagarden, for example, currently has Tornadus and Thundurus listed as "Trade", meaning they can't be captured in B2/W2 or haven't been found yet by anyone. Since future gens. on future consoles will give a chance for those with only one DS a chance to import them to the newer game, I have to say I don't have any regrets at all. At least I can import the storm gods to the new system someday (once I have a Thundurus, but that's another topic as it can't be breeded).

Cyclone

Back