• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you spoil your Starter?

Vulpes bicaudata

Charmander Fanboy
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2011
    I pretty much only use my starter, always and forever. The rest of my team is just whatever I get to use HMs.

The only sorta-exception is that I used and EXP Share in Sapphire so that I had TWO Pokémon at good levels. Also, I of course use a lower-level Pokémon when trying to weaken a lower-level Pokémon for capture.

But I'm not going to stop using just one Pokémon. Why should I? It's how I enjoy playing the game.

(Note that this only applies to starters I like. When I start Diamond someday, I'm boxing that stupid Chimchar as soon as I can get a good replacement. Then that replacement will get all the glory.)

Years
    I don't actually. These days my starter is replaced the instant I find something that does it's job better

Pokemon Champion Red

Regis Knight: Lend Cideliant
    Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    I usually keep mine about 2 levels above the rest of my team...except on Platinum when I caught a Gible and powerleveled it up to a Garchomp by the 6th Gym...

Years
    I've only spoiled my starter once, back in Sapphire with my Mudkip. He was like... 10-20 levels higher than the rest of my Pokemon, lmao. But I was an extreme noob at Pokemon then. That was like, my first Pokemon game. xD

The closest I get to spoiling my starter now is always keeping it in my team. But I think I might break that little streak once the 3rd installment of Generation V comes out. I want to use an exotic Pokemon as my starter... Like Zuruggu. :B

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    Though since Pokemon Ruby...I've always carried it's starter forward through the generations either through cloning or trading. I always trade it to my new version as soon as I can use it. (It's a level 100 Swampert so I've gotta collect the badges first.) :3

Really aside from leveling pokemon to 100 the old fashioned way, I don't do much else...because I think that EV training is a pain in the neck.

Finally, lol. Someone who plays the games like me. All my starters have been carried over to the games that proceeded them too. I wish that there was some way I could trade my Charizard & Feraligatr from my Silver Version to my Ruby. I don't do EV Training either. I think taking that much of a strategic approach to Pokemon ruins the fun. I mean its natural, but unnatural, if that makes sense?

I understand that everyone plays Pokemon their own way, but I'm wondering why some of you guys play the way you do, so strategic I mean. I get not spoiling your starter and wanting a balanced team with variety and what such, but why do some of you only have your starter 2 levels higher or just completely box it? As nerdy as it might sound, I think I only spoil my starter 'cuz that's what I would do if Pokemon were real. So I guess the new topic, side topic, whatever you wanna call it is "How do you play Pokemon?"

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    I spoil my starter pretty much, but all members are in the same level range at least. I'm meticulous about it. If one member is freshly caught I won't continue to play until I've grinded it to the same level.

My starter is always the spine of my team. The glue. It's what I model my team after. Not to say I don't have team lineups with other startes as a base.

That's kind of how I am. My starter is the glue, the number one, only a few Pokemon are as strong level/strength wise. Usually just the second or third Pokemon though, lol.

Happy Pikachu!

smiles go for miles
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2010
    Yes, I usually do. Only, I've boxed it sometimes, but the team then can feel a bit... empty.

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2011
    When I first started playing Pokemon I used my starter pokemon all the time and it became way stronger than the rest of my team but now I try to use all my pokemon equally and have them all around the same level.

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
    When I play through the game my starter is always with me no matter what but once I've beaten the Elite Four I tend to make my own team up with any old Pokemon I've caught then train them up and go back and beat the Elite Four once again, I repeatedly do this until I get bored and restart my game after transferring my old Pokemon to another game. Or, I will start to EV train them just for the heck of it. But yes, I tend to spoil my starter Pokemon as I grow attached to it the team wouldn't be complete without it.

Asrodrig

#1 Meowth fan
    Years
    I usually keep my starter about three levels above everyone else, just so the rest of the team knows he's the boss.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    I spoil my starter Pokemon so much during the beginning of the game. By the time I got to the third or fourth gym, it would already be in its final form and everything. However, there are times when I do box it to train my weaker Pokemons. This happens a lot when I finally realize that my starter Pokemon is about five levels higher than the whole party.

Years
    I did that with my Ivysaur in Pokemon Leafgreen. Refused to let him evolve, and never let him faint not once throughout the whole game. If two of my pokemon were low on health, I'd focus on Ivysaur completely. Until after defeating the elite four did I realize I was becoming too obsessive and had to accept that he would faint some time in battle =/

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
    No, I don't spoil my starter. In the beginning, I keep it a level or two higher, but that's generally gone by the third gym. Why should I make my Grovyle fight Brawly when I have a Sabelye that Brawly's Pokemon can't even touch?

My choices in items go to whoever's best for that situation. If I'm fighting Lance and only have one Revive left, do I give it to my Feraligatr or Aerodactyl to fight Lance's Charizard? I'd give it to my Aerodactyl for 4x damage to Charizard.

No starter spoiling here.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2015
    No, they never get anything more than the other Pokémon.

My infernape on Platinum, for example. It's trained at the same pace as every other Pokémon on my team. It doesn't get any more vitamins, TM's,...or whatever else there is that I'm forgetting.

Yeah. No special treatment for you. D:

Krizor

Evil Genius
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    I always tend to treat my starter as the leader of my team, but I usually keep it on par with the rest of them.

It doesn't really get any special treatment.

Back